Eric Wood

daiboy

1.) never saw the movie, but read the book, so yes, i learned to read a long time ago.

2.) all he did in the best conference in college football was this:

Was a First Team Freshman All-America and SEC All-Freshman choice in 2005

Garnered All-America honors each of his last two seasons and All-SEC accolades in his final three

won the Jacobs Blocking Trophy in 2008 as SEC best linemen

3.)and since you cut and paste from NFL.com :

positives : Prototypical left tackle build. Has good height and excellent athleticism. Unlike some left tackles, he has girth in his lower body. Uses his long arms to his greatest advantage, locking onto the jersey to nullify the pass rush of defensive ends. Gets into his pass set quickly and has very good lateral movement. Not fooled by dancing on the line. Shows the feet to pull inside, get to either shoulder to position block and nullify linebackers outside on screen passes. Sustains and mirrors as long as possible and will play through the whistle. Improved as a run blocker as a senior. Began to play with more aggression and physicality at the second level. An ascending talent who should only get better. Has gained experience as a celebrity due to the success of best-selling novel, "The Blind Side" and is potentially better prepared for the glamour of being a high pick.

4.) aaron schobel is pretty quiet and he's worked out pretty darn good for us. passion isn't shown in your demeanor. its shown on the field where he dominates. the proof is/was/will be in the game film. end of discussion.

I suppose you can defend the Maybin pick as having not nearly as many question marks as Oher. His character must be flawless too, i mean he only hangs with Ray Lewis and Lavar Arrington. Good, upstanding guys. exactly more of what we need on this squad.

i was at the draft and there were 2 guys at positions of need worth taking at that spot - oher and orakpo. naturally DJ took the most likely to be a bust with the pick. might as well continue the trend..

The other major question about Oher was that he wasn't all that mentally quick (I don't mean smart, he's smart enough, I mean having speedy mental reactions, such as to stunts, delayed blitzes and other tricks) and they weren't sure he'd ever be quick enough on his feet to play OT in the pros.

He looked like there was a good chance he would end up at RT. Which is what happened. And he didn't play all that great when he switched to LT for a couple of games. There is a very good chance he will be a career RT. And we didn't need one at draft time, because we had Brad Butler and Langston Walker as a backup. After cutting Walker and Butler's injury, it turned out that we really could have used him at RT anyway. But there was no way we could have known that at the time.

Also as a side issue I have read this forum for a while now and I have to bring up one point. The consensus for last years draft always seems to be bad. "we cant draft", "we have to draft better" etc etc. To be honest I think last years draft has been better than most peoples.

Last year's draft was a solid double.

It could have been a game ending grand slam.

Byrd had probably 7 of his 9 picks gift wrapped and hand delivered to his front door. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but did Levitre not play every snap all season?!? Just because OL is not as glamorous a position as DB... I wouldn't even say that Byrd was a better pick than Wood or Levitre. Are you kidding me, Wood looked like an absolute stud before he got hurt. Let's give them credit where credit is due, they got 3 permanent no-brainer starters in picks 2-4. The rest of the guys? Who knows, I'm sure they'll never get a chance to sniff the field and then they'll just draft another guy next year at the same position around the same round (see Nic Harris).

Only in Buffalo did Wood get called a stud. He looked pretty solid considering he was a rookie surrounded by people who had never played the positions they were in. But if he were to play at the same level for the rest of his career, he would be cut after two or three years. There is every chance he can improve, and you have to like his disposition, but he's still more about his future than his present production, and Levitre too.

Byrd wasn't a better pick than Wood and Levitre? Yeah, okay, sure, unh hunh.f

I guess we'll find out next year, won't we? I'm not saying he sucks, I'm just saying the 9 int's may have been a little misleading. He's definitely an everydown starter next year, so he'll certainly get the opportunities. If he gets another 8 next year, I'll take it all back.

P.S. Didn't Kelso get around 8 picks for several seasons in a row? Top to bottom, he was never considered a great football player. Polamalu- I don't care if he gets 1 pick or 10 picks- he's a great football player. Isn't he? Isn't he?

Kelso got 0, 6, 7, 6, 2, 2, 7 and 0. However, he had Bruce Smith and Cornelius Bennet forcing bad passes, and for a while Bryce Paup too. Kelso was surrounded by a much better group of players.

Yeah, some of Byrd's INTs were luck, but the average DB drops 2 or 3 of those, the ones that he had virtually no time to adjust to. Byrd has phenomenal ball skills.

I agree that until his injury, Wood was playing well for a rookie, and that Levitre and Byrd had pretty good rookies seasons. But you can watch two rookies starting this weekend, that for the life of me, I don't know why the Bills did not draft. Mike Oher - RT in Baltimore, and Phil Loadholt -RT for the Vikings. Both were available in the rounds they were chosen for the Bills to draft. Oher would have had to have been the Bills first pick, and might have been considered a "reach." - but watch the kid play for the Ravens this week, and then imagine him playing in place of any of the "bartenders" that ended up playing either tackle for Buffalo this season. And although he was taken later in the draft, you should watch big Loadholt play for the Vikings as he starts at RT for them. Now he has struggled more then Oher this season, but man, he would have made any tackle for the Bills look like they belonged at UB if the Bills had taken him!

I know the Bills had injury problems at both tackle positions this season. Brad Butler and Demetrius Bell were supposed to be the starters all season. But if the Bills would have drafted either Oher or Loadholt, that would have really strengthened the depth of the tackle position. Besides, I am convinced either Loadholt or Oher would have beaten out both Bell and Butler, at either tackle position - depending on which one was worse then the other in training camp. In my humble opinion, Oher or Loadholt would have won at least the RT starting position for the Bills, which would have left Butler available to help out at guard as the two kids did struggle in the middle, or he would have been right there to take over for Bell when he got injured.

Sorry to be so long winded, but the Bills needed help at OT, and they did not address it with a talented OT draft class. That is why I agree with most on this board, that the Bills have not drafted "smart" for many years, and last year was no exception.

In hindsight, yeah, it would have been a great pick. But remember, at draft time we had Butler and also Langston Walker. We looked all set at RT.

AMAZING ... just when I thought the scribes of this board couldn't get more ridiculous here it is ... :unsure:

We have a rookie ... who intercepts nine passes ... and that is without even starting the full 16 game season and some of the brilliant scholars on this board are choosing to somehow diminish Byrd's accomplishments, which by the way also include a Pro Bowl appearance as votedf on by his fellow players and the fans.

When you review all of the NFL's defensive backs and safeties who played this season ... somehow only Byrd had gift passes thrown to him ... it's so funny actually it's sad but then again when we read what so many "fans" write ... so little knowledge and so much joy in bashing and attacking.

Obviously, I don't think there is one fan of the team or football scholar who thinks the Bills made the right choice with May-be-one-day but our overall draft can compete with almost any other team's 2009 picks.

Levitre is a keeper and will keep getting better and if Wood recovers he was showing all the signs of being a top notch offensive lineman. If either played on a better team we might be endowing them with the accolades being given to Oher. But a healthy Wood means 40% of our offensive line for years to come has been put into place and we aren't talking about second rate players.

Nelson if his health issues improve seems to be a decent or better tight end and the "reserves" all seem to have some talent.

The discards from our recent drafts with only one exception have ended up on the rosters of other NFL teams and even though the BEAST MODE has been overrun by the Jackson Express ... Marshawn did have 2 1000 yard seasons and it is possible that some allegations (especially this most recent one) may be just fabrications.

So ... whoever wants to criticize Byrd must be longing for the day when no Bills defensive back had an interception ... those who rip apart our DB's must be watching some other game because that unit given the time on the field, etc. has performed as well as almost any other teams ...

The Bills need help but let's give credit where credit is due!

Only in Buffalo did Wood get called a stud. He looked pretty solid considering he was a rookie surrounded by people who had never played the positions they were in. But if he were to play at the same level for the rest of his career, he would be cut after two or three years. There is every chance he can improve, and you have to like his disposition, but he's still more about his future than his present production, and Levitre too.

Byrd wasn't a better pick than Wood and Levitre? Yeah, okay, sure, unh hunh.f

Wake me up when Byrd goes diving to break up a pass in the end zone or lays out a receiver, dislodging the ball in the process. Come on, I can picture at least 3 of his interceptions and they were are you kidding me throws. Whitner must've been saying, "how come I never get free int's like this?" Right place, right time? Ballhawking? We'll find out next year, won't we? As far as Wood and Levitre- so as the QB was dropping back in the pocket and throwing the ball or Fred Jackson was running, you were watching Wood engaging w/ linemen instead of the ball or did you DVR the games and then watch the linemen individually?

Sorry..I thought we were looking for someone who could play left tackle. Oher played left tackle in the SEC and was an outstanding performer. He went through a lot and came out a winner. No criminal record, no baggage BIG NEGATIVE...guy likes his family?

Maybin couldn't beat out Chris Kelsay and didn't show much when he was on the field, was not a standout on special teams, wasn't tried out at linebacker when we had a slew of linebacker injuries...BIG NEGATIVE...can't play football very well.

Wood and Levitre OK players. They weren't world beaters. If Wood recovers he'll probably be a good guard or center. Levitre will be ok. Our offensive line sucked. They sucked in preseason and sucked through the various rotations, mainly because of weakness at the tackle positions. The Bills knew this or should have known this when they picked Maybin.

the NFL is a business. In business you look for results. Byrd gave results and was recognized by going to the pro bowl. 9 interceptions are 9 interceptions. He got interceptions by being where the ball was. Ronnie Lott, Mark Kelso or any other dback who ever played only got interceptions the exact same way.

There was way too many concerns about Oher. He is / was a mommies boy based on his whole background. Plenty was written up about it predraft as Denver badly wanted to draft him, but didn't because they weren't sure if he would bolt on them. It was expected that really they only place that could/should draft him was tennesee and everyone else was taking a big chance based on predraft interviews and psycho-analysis. Turns out Bmore hit the big one there, but it was a risky pick, with his background.

reports i read said he was a mauler and top 5 tackle in the draft. if youre referrring to drama from the book written about him. that was just negative pr put out there so that he would drop into somebodys lap like baltimore, it worked. the written stuff you refer to was negative propaganda, not factual or transferrable to the field. i wanted him from the senior bowl and couldnt believe we took a tweener project. our coaches had a way of thinking they were so smart-yale-, that we could change peoples positions that they played their whole life, worked for byrd but is very hard to do

Drafting Oher is the classic hingsight pick. This board was full of people saying they would lose it if the Bills drafted Oher. Cushing and Orakpo were the more likely picks and would have made it an all time draft.

Byrd's ball skill made alot of picks look easy, but he was a ball hawk in college and it continued in the pros. Some guys just have that knack. Whitner wasn't saying I wish that ball was thrown to me, he was saying I wish I could read a play that well.

Wood and Levitre should be above average lineman for a long time. It was a long time ago, but in the first 2 games of the season, before all the injuries hit. The line of Bell-Levitre-Hangartner-Wood-Butler showed some real promise.

I know the OP was about Wood's injury, and I sure hope he can come back in time for training camp. I think Incognito should be brought back as insurance, and even to start if Wood moves to center.

I guess we'll find out next year, won't we? I'm not saying he sucks, I'm just saying the 9 int's may have been a little misleading. He's definitely an everydown starter next year, so he'll certainly get the opportunities. If he gets another 8 next year, I'll take it all back.

P.S. Didn't Kelso get around 8 picks for several seasons in a row? Top to bottom, he was never considered a great football player. Polamalu- I don't care if he gets 1 pick or 10 picks- he's a great football player. Isn't he? Isn't he?

I've seen a bunch of Ed Reed highlights where he turns a tipped ball into a pick 6. Conversly, I never see Whitner get his hands on a tipped ball. It's instincts and being in the right spot.

Sorry..I thought we were looking for someone who could play left tackle. Oher played left tackle in the SEC and was an outstanding performer. He went through a lot and came out a winner. No criminal record, no baggage BIG NEGATIVE...guy likes his family?

Oher looks to be strictly a RT at this point. Maybe he'll be a solid LT in the future, but the Ravens weren't thrilled with Jared Gaither's performance at LT, yet when he was healthy, they moved Oher out of there and back to RT. And as T#1 said, the Bills looked to be all-set at RT until stupidly cutting Walker and Butler getting injured.

There was way too many concerns about Oher. He is / was a mommies boy based on his whole background. Plenty was written up about it predraft as Denver badly wanted to draft him, but didn't because they weren't sure if he would bolt on them. It was expected that really they only place that could/should draft him was tennesee and everyone else was taking a big chance based on predraft interviews and psycho-analysis. Turns out Bmore hit the big one there, but it was a risky pick, with his background.

I'm not tryin to call you out, but Denver was interested? They have all-pro ryan clady and solid ryan harris, what would they need another tackle for?

Go learn to read moron. You have no clue if you are not aware of his personal situation. And the movie doesn't get it right.

From Draft analysis:

Negatives: Only has three years experience at left tackle and is still learning the game. A better pass protector than power run blocker, as he does not consistently get great push off the edge. Needs more consistency in using his punch, which can be devastating against rush ends. Can be beaten in pass protection by quicker hands. Loses balance at times when lunging in pass pro. A bit tentative in the open field at times. Gets a bit lazy moving his feet when the play is run away from him and could stand to gain more stamina. Does not always adjust to outside blitzes, but handles inside pressure just fine. Has a very quiet, passive demeanor that some may characterize as lacking passion. Some concerns about how he'll acclimate to a new environment if he's drafted by a team geographically distant from his adopted family.

Well, that's a stupid draft analysis that the Bills should have ignored. Tons of great athletes have a "quiet demanor." But then again, aDJ only cared if you had a "big motor", even if all that motor does is celebrate other people's tackles.

Wake me up when Byrd goes diving to break up a pass in the end zone or lays out a receiver, dislodging the ball in the process. Come on, I can picture at least 3 of his interceptions and they were are you kidding me throws. Whitner must've been saying, "how come I never get free int's like this?" Right place, right time? Ballhawking? We'll find out next year, won't we? As far as Wood and Levitre- so as the QB was dropping back in the pocket and throwing the ball or Fred Jackson was running, you were watching Wood engaging w/ linemen instead of the ball or did you DVR the games and then watch the linemen individually?

WOW,

One of the ONLY bright spots on this team this past year, and possibly for years to come and you find a way to discredit it. Byrd was in the right place at the right time. He is a football player and a damn good one. His father was before him, and he trained with Aneas Williams since he was a teenager. Its in his blood. He is good, stop trying to take away some of the good things we have on this team. If anything proves your point, it will be because of health/injury issues.

There is almost no sense in arguing with someone like you. You probobly still think we should keep Lynch, be happy with Poz and Mitchell at LB and happy with Schobel and Kelsey at ends.

Well, that's a stupid draft analysis that the Bills should have ignored. Tons of great athletes have a "quiet demanor." But then again, aDJ only cared if you had a "big motor", even if all that motor does is celebrate other people's tackles.

Ignore that one, if you want, but everyone said the same thing. He also had a poor workout.

WOW,

One of the ONLY bright spots on this team this past year, and possibly for years to come and you find a way to discredit it. Byrd was in the right place at the right time. He is a football player and a damn good one. His father was before him, and he trained with Aneas Williams since he was a teenager. Its in his blood. He is good, stop trying to take away some of the good things we have on this team. If anything proves your point, it will be because of health/injury issues.

There is almost no sense in arguing with someone like you. You probobly still think we should keep Lynch, be happy with Poz and Mitchell at LB and happy with Schobel and Kelsey at ends.

I'm not arguing with you. If you go back, the original poster said something to the effect of, "Byrd is obviously amazing" and "Wood and Levitre appear to be sufficient." All I said was that I'm not sure Byrd is any more of a success than Wood or Levitre. Levitre (I think) played every down this season. Would you be shocked if Byrd had 2 or 3 int's next year and Levitre became a top notch G? I wouldn't. Could Levitre have been any better this season? Unfortunately, OL's don't get sacks or int's. People get caught up in int's over overall play (see Charles Woodson winning Defensive MVP over Revis). And I didn't watch Byrd every play, but I know I've heard media types calling out his run defense and tackling. And if I was negative about Byrd, why would I be positive about someone like Kawika Mitchell?