The end of "The Tonight Show"

CosmicBills

I stop in now and then. It's no change in me - I have a keen sense of comedy, as well as a keen sense of pandering snottiness.

No dispute about today's audience, shrader. That our society is decaying is not news.

I just wonder if these shows have a certain key demographic that they always draw well with. Do they get more young viewers than anything else? I'm only 28, but I don't have the desire to watch these shows as much as I did during my college days, but it has nothing to do with the writing. I just don't feel like staying up to watch most of it anymore. I wonder if this happens with a lot of people.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ratings are one thing. Quality is another.

Conan is the guy who has the respect of people who appreciate good comedy. Leno gets better ratings (at 11:35). It's hard to make that point without insulting and alienating a huge chunk of the viewership.

My understanding is that it was the 11pm news casts that were complaining due to a 25% drop in viewership once the 10pm Leno show started up. Wouldn't that possibly have a trickle down effect and potentially impact the audience for Conan's tonight show? I'm just not convinced that Conan's ratings would have been this poor if they hadn't tried that prime time Leno thing.

I just wonder if these shows have a certain key demographic that they always draw well with. Do they get more young viewers than anything else? I'm only 28, but I don't have the desire to watch these shows as much as I did during my college days, but it has nothing to do with the writing. I just don't feel like staying up to watch most of it anymore. I wonder if this happens with a lot of people.

With the advent of cable, the dishes - today's viewership is awash with choices. That lone-wolf, bunker down at home thing extends throughout...social norms that existed once, and for a long time, have been splattered far and wide. We treat each other badly today, since we no longer seem to have, or even desire, the things in common that we used to cling to and rally around.

Sad...so much violence today, so full of self-centered attitudes.

You are 28. I am saddened that you missed the time when I grew up. You would have taken comfort in those times. There were definitive lines between children and adults...children aspired for the privileges of adulthood, but such had to be earned. So kids behaved. And adults took great pains to insulate the children from the ugliness. I certainly was.

But things changed on the political map, so today we have kids being exposed to everything and anything - rampant divorce, 24/7 sex and violence, adults in fear of even touching a child lest they be branded as a sex criminal and see their whole life ruined (I'm sorry - today, if I saw a child get grabbed up and put into a car, or if it ran out into traffic - I would do nothing more than call an agent of the State).

Well - I guess I ramble on, eh? It's getting late, and I have to prepare supper for my dear wife.

With the advent of cable, the dishes - today's viewership is awash with choices. That lone-wolf, bunker down at home thing extends throughout...social norms that existed once, and for a long time, have been splattered far and wide. We treat each other badly today, since we no longer seem to have, or even desire, the things in common that we used to cling to and rally around.

Sad...so much violence today, so full of self-centered attitudes.

You are 28. I am saddened that you missed the time when I grew up. You would have taken comfort in those times. There were definitive lines between children and adults...children aspired for the privileges of adulthood, but such had to be earned. So kids behaved. And adults took great pains to insulate the children from the ugliness. I certainly was.

But things changed on the political map, so today we have kids being exposed to everything and anything - rampant divorce, 24/7 sex and violence, adults in fear of even touching a child lest they be branded as a sex criminal and see their whole life ruined (I'm sorry - today, if I saw a child get grabbed up and put into a car, or if it ran out into traffic - I would do nothing more than call an agent of the State).

Well - I guess I ramble on, eh? It's getting late, and I have to prepare supper for my dear wife.

That's being a bit hyperbolic isn't it? You see the ugliness of the world because you are an adult. You speak for your childhood as being a great time maybe that's because you were a child; my childhood was the 1990's and early 2000's and I thought those were happy times for me but I am sure some adult at that time thought our society was going to hell.

Ask a child now if our world is falling apart?

My understanding is that it was the 11pm news casts that were complaining due to a 25% drop in viewership once the 10pm Leno show started up. Wouldn't that possibly have a trickle down effect and potentially impact the audience for Conan's tonight show? I'm just not convinced that Conan's ratings would have been this poor if they hadn't tried that prime time Leno thing.

Yup. The local affiliates were PISSED. Some even threatened to drop Leno's 10pm show.

jimmy kimmel is the best right now.

im a leno fan.

im a conan fan. he's getting 33 mil. not really feeling sorry for him either.

letterman and his top 10 list are not funny. dont care who is reading them!

i was reading the first 3-4 pages, a lot of people find leno not funny. that's weird. WHEN HE WAS DOING THE TONIGHT SHOW HE WAS CHAMP IN RATINGS! i find him funny. of course i dont like his snake attitude. let conan have his show and move on is what i would tell leno. but i also will not deny his comedy. its not a+ all the time. but its not f either.

i was reading the first 3-4 pages, a lot of people find leno not funny. that's weird. WHEN HE WAS DOING THE TONIGHT SHOW HE WAS CHAMP IN RATINGS! i find him funny. of course i dont like his snake attitude. let conan have his show and move on is what i would tell leno. but i also will not deny his comedy. its not a+ all the time. but its not f either.

And American Idol is the highest rated show out there. The ratings are a strange beast.

jimmy kimmel is the best right now.

im a leno fan.

im a conan fan. he's getting 33 mil. not really feeling sorry for him either.

letterman and his top 10 list are not funny. dont care who is reading them!

Leno's audience had an older audience but his ratings were undeniable (Although he was dipping from his previous high's). Conan's audience is a younger more hipster audience. Conan and Craig Ferguson are by far my favorite late night hosts of all time (Sorry I was young when Carson was doing his thing). Conan and Ferguson both brought something different to late night they did their own things and changed the formula up a bit.

Leno to me has gotten stale its very generic and formulaic. BUT generic and formulaic is what a lot of Americans like (Why do you think sitcoms always had everything go back to the way things were at the beginning of it). To me I feel like Leno isn't bad but he just isn't anything special while Conan you can tell wanted to do something original with the platform.

If I had to give out grades for late night TV hosts

Letterman- D

Fallon- D

Leno- C

Kimmel- B

Ferguson- A-

Conan- A

Yup. The local affiliates were PISSED. Some even threatened to drop Leno's 10pm show.

Wow...well, Conan is obviously financially secure for life, but I really wanted to see him host the tonight show for the next 15 years....I hope he finds a good fit later this year. I look forward to watching whatever show he's on.

That's being a bit hyperbolic isn't it? You see the ugliness of the world because you are an adult. You speak for your childhood as being a great time maybe that's because you were a child; my childhood was the 1990's and early 2000's and I thought those were happy times for me but I am sure some adult at that time thought our society was going to hell.

Ask a child now if our world is falling apart?

Cincy is 100% correct. I grew up in the tail end of the 70's and into the 80s. Childhood in those days just wasn't like it is today. I know exactly what he means when he talks about children being insulated back then. That's awesome you had a happy childhood, cause every kid deserves that. But times were different back in the day.

Leno's audience had an older audience but his ratings were undeniable (Although he was dipping from his previous high's). Conan's audience is a younger more hipster audience. Conan and Craig Ferguson are by far my favorite late night hosts of all time (Sorry I was young when Carson was doing his thing). Conan and Ferguson both brought something different to late night they did their own things and changed the formula up a bit.

Leno to me has gotten stale its very generic and formulaic. BUT generic and formulaic is what a lot of Americans like (Why do you think sitcoms always had everything go back to the way things were at the beginning of it). To me I feel like Leno isn't bad but he just isn't anything special while Conan you can tell wanted to do something original with the platform.

If I had to give out grades for late night TV hosts

Letterman- D

Fallon- D

Leno- C

Kimmel- B

Ferguson- A-

Conan- A

there is no way conan is an A............seriously, no way and I really like him...but sometimes it just the same ol same ol. Heck this NBC drama was the funniest they all have had for a long time

Cincy is 100% correct. I grew up in the tail end of the 70's and into the 80s. Childhood in those days just wasn't like it is today. I know exactly what he means when he talks about children being insulated back then. That's awesome you had a happy childhood, cause every kid deserves that. But times were different back in the day.

And yours were different from your parents' childhood, theirs different from their parents' childhood... This isn't going to change any time in the near future.

didnt read back to see if this was posted already, but......

nbc is not letting conan take his bits and characters with him.

so this means no more masturbating bear, the year 3000, and possibly triumph the insult comic dog.

i can do without the bear, but the year 3000 and triumph were great stuff

Different yes but not better or worse. Kids now have just as carefree a life as they always did. I am sure circa 1979 some guy who was 30 or 40 years old then was saying kids now are growing up in a messed up world it was a lot better back in the day. Adults do their best to insulate kids from the world sure some get exposed to it way too quickly but I am sure that there were kids growing up in the late 70's early 80's that were exposed to the world as well.

Simply put its all relative. People tend to be fascinated with their childhood because they percived the world diffrently at the time because they were children. The world kids grow up in is diffrent but its not a bad place to grow up and odds are kids now will in 20 or 30 years be telling some guy not even born yet how awesome the world they grew up in was.