RUMOR: Jim Kelly spoke w/Bill Cowher?

Punch

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bUT wILLIS said there's no pace to eat in Buffalo.

Willis does not like Italian and Illo's is in Blasdell, my native town, not Buffalo.

And from what I heard from someone who was working at Illo's was Jimbo had mentioned Grimm several times in conversation. It is possible Jimbo will ask Cowher for his opinion of Grimm as head coach. It is also possible that they were just talking football playoffs and Grimm was mentioned just as someone who was doing a good job.

i was there. Jim said he "might" pick up the phone to talk to Cowher. when asked again if he intends to, Jim reiterated that he might.

jw

John,

Appreciate the contribution. Please clarify, the decision re Cowher hire is up to RW & RB??? We're not to believe that Cowher is waiting on them to interview a bunch of assistants before reaching a decision to hire him -- correct??

In light of the totality of the circumstances, I just can't imagine a scenario where RW & RB select Frazier over Cowher; such a conclusion requires a quantum leap away from the rational.

i was there. Jim said he "might" pick up the phone to talk to Cowher. when asked again if he intends to, Jim reiterated that he might.

jw

Nice to have an actual credentialed reporter around these parts rather than a wannabe who has imaginary conversations with Adam Schefter.

Nice to have THREE actual credentialed reporters around these parts rather than a wannabe who has imaginary conversations with Adam Schefter.

Lori and Tim are going to kick your ass.

(Sorry Tim, Lori has been here longer).

Fixed

We have all heard about this date Jan. 15th that Thurmon has been talking about. I have heard rumors that JK and a group of investors have been cleared to become owners of an NFL franchise by the league recently? Could this be happening on Jan. 15th? Might be one reason Jimbo has been involved so far with the coaching decision?

Thurman himself has followed up on these expectations surrounding 1/15, and he has no clue what the hell you people are talking about! :huh:

There is no 1/15 announcement coming folks. Internet chatter run amok at it's finest! :censored:

Who cares if Jim Kelly talks to Cowher? Why would this be considered signifigant? I can't see Kelly making or breaking any coach's decision, and Kelly would likely have a conversation with any of the big name coaches about the job if he were at some kind of event with them. I can't see one of the big time guys making the huge commitment to a job and organization based conversations with Kelly.

If true, it makes the Bills Organization look bad. Like they have to send Kelly out to plead on the Bills behalf, instead of having real administrators take of business.

Why do people have this "Jim Kelly to the Rescue" ( a Black Oak Arkansas reference) fascination. It's pathetic.

Who cares if Jim Kelly talks to Cowher? Why would this be considered signifigant? I can't see Kelly making or breaking any coach's decision, and Kelly would likely have a conversation with any of the big name coaches about the job if he were at some kind of event with them. I can't see one of the big time guys making the huge commitment to a job and organization based conversations with Kelly.

If true, it makes the Bills Organization look bad. Like they have to send Kelly out to plead on the Bills behalf, instead of having real administrators take of business.

Why do people have this "Jim Kelly to the Rescue" ( a Black Oak Arkansas reference) fascination. It's pathetic.

Kelly has credibility

Kelly has credibility

He isn't the owner. He isn't the GM. And, as I mentioned above, to have him pleading with coaches would actually make the BILLS organization seem LESS credible.

(I'm not sure how much credibilty he has outside of his on-the-field performance. As a businessman? As a politician?)

John,

Appreciate the contribution. Please clarify, the decision re Cowher hire is up to RW & RB??? We're not to believe that Cowher is waiting on them to interview a bunch of assistants before reaching a decision to hire him -- correct??

In light of the totality of the circumstances, I just can't imagine a scenario where RW & RB select Frazier over Cowher; such a conclusion requires a quantum leap away from the rational.

based on what Mr. Wilson had to say last week, i don't foresee Cowher to be in the picture. to me, the telling comment was Mr. Wilson saying, "We don't need a splashy name," and adding, "we want someone who wants to come to Buffalo."

and the fact that Mr. Wilson acknowledged they had spoken to Cowher, leads me to believe that that's over and done with. ...

as for choosing Frazier over Cowher, i'd think it wouldn't happen.

as for all the Frazier bashers on this board, everything i've heard about the guy has been high praise. and this isn't from Bills people. it's from people that have followed Frazier up through the ranks and not necessarily coached with him or played under him.

he's been groomed by Dungy to be a head coach one day. and it would be realistic to believe that having the Dungy stamp of approval would help in assembling a capable staff.

BSchottenheimer could be a wild card in this bunch.

bills, though, are high on Frazier.

jw

jw

based on what Mr. Wilson had to say last week, i don't foresee Cowher to be in the picture. to me, the telling comment was Mr. Wilson saying, "We don't need a splashy name," and adding, "we want someone who wants to come to Buffalo."

and the fact that Mr. Wilson acknowledged they had spoken to Cowher, leads me to believe that that's over and done with. ...

John, I realize that you were paraphrasing above. Here's a cut-and-paste from your article on the 8th:

"Declining to place a timetable on the search, Wilson said 'we don't want to rush into hiring a coach just to be hiring somebody quick.' He then added: 'We don't want to hire a coach with a splashy name.'"

Don't you think that, by definition, entering into talks with Cowher totally invalidates the literal meaning of Ralph's statement that "We don't want to hire a coach with a splashy name." ? After you published this on Friday, I posted that I suspected what Ralph was really trying to say (but didn't say well) was, "we don't want to RUSH into hiring a coach with a splashy name." I think I saw at least one media pundit have this same take as well after putting his words in context.

The Cowher thing may well be over, but I thought what Ralph was really doing in his interview with you was trying to get everyone to just settle in for the long haul. Just curious, when you land an interview like that in an environment like this, do you go into it assuming that the interviewee has a specific agenda in even granting the interview? If so, what do you think Ralph's agenda was? Again my assumption is that Ralph was trying to let everyone know he'd made an offer but now things will take awhile. Did you gather something similar?

BTW, thanks for your contributions here. We appreciate them!

Guest dog14787

as for all the Frazier bashers on this board, everything i've heard about the guy has been high praise. and this isn't from Bills people. it's from people that have followed Frazier up through the ranks and not necessarily coached with him or played under him.

he's been groomed by Dungy to be a head coach one day. and it would be realistic to believe that having the Dungy stamp of approval would help in assembling a capable staff.

jw

jw

With all due respect jw and I realize you are relaying RW's comments, but if the Buffalo Bills don't need a so called splashy name, what do we need and why did RW go after the top two splashy names available. The Bills have been experimenting with unproven and unsplashy names for way to long. How about hiring someone with experience and a winning track record in the NFL.

The comments by Ralph Wilson also seem counter productive in my opinion If the Bills are still actively in pursuit of Bill Cowher.

Thurman himself has followed up on these expectations surrounding 1/15, and he has no clue what the hell you people are talking about! :D

There is no 1/15 announcement coming folks. Internet chatter run amok at it's finest! <_<

I believe Thurman created that date in an interview on WGR

jw

jw

Guest dog14787
Dungy legacy is a little shaky, he leaves t.b they win a sb. First year after he leaves the colts they are 14-0 .

Speaking of Dungy, Dungy's not my first choice but he keeps looking better and better, even if it means Micheal Vick comes with him.

Here's how rumors get started. No Estate/Inheritance Tax in 2010. Ralph can give the Bills to his family and they will not have to pay all the taxes. Rumor has it that on January 15th, RW was going announce that he was stepping down as the owner. His family would retain 51% of the Bills and the other 49% would go to Jim Kelly , Thurman Thomas and their group and the new Bills Team President/Head Coach Bill Cowher who gets 5%. They were waiting until the 15th because of the tax laws not taking effect until that day. See, that is a great rumor. Some things are true, some others are plausible. No tax is true. Ralph could really do that if he wanted. Kelly supposedly has a group together. Thurman alluded to the 15th. Plus, really, who wouldn't want that to happen? Don't hold your breath until the 15th.