Why some teams always win and others always lose

major

Exerpts from Tim Green's book from 1996 (still relevant today, in my opinion):

The worst situation is when one one of the three entities: owner, GM, or coach, doesn't get along with the other and doesn't want to cooperate to give us the winning team that we want. Again, it is exlusively up to the owner to recognize this and fix it.

This means one of two things. First, the owner must find a cook (a coach) and a butler (GM) who are not only willing, but competent to work together. Or the owner must make it clear from the start that one or the other will be a subordiante. It's all about direction and everyone in the organization working toward the same end and understanding what the final menu will be.

The worst situation is when one one of the three entities: owner, GM, or coach, doesn't get along with the other and doesn't want to cooperate to give us the winning team that we want. Again, it is exlusively up to the owner to recognize this and fix it.

This means one of two things. First, the owner must find a cook (a coach) and a butler (GM) who are not only willing, but competent to work together. Or the owner must make it clear from the start that one or the other will be a subordiante. It's all about direction and everyone in the organization working toward the same end and understanding what the final menu will be.

I think this is our problem. Our owner hired the cook (Jauron) and butler (Levy).

PTR

I need to write a book that takes common sense things that 90% of fans already know and treat them like unbelievable epiphanies...

Maybe I can write something like

"if you have no timeouts left, it is imperative you get out of bounds within the last few minutes of a game..."

for what it's worth, Buddy Nix is running the coaching search, and being given the responsibility to present the candidates HE chooses for approval.

jw

Uh huh. And FWIW, who makes the final decision? Who is he submitting the names to? Nuff said.

for what it's worth, Buddy Nix is running the coaching search, and being given the responsibility to present the candidates HE chooses for approval.

jw

I'd be a lot more confident if he's been given the responsibility to hire the candidates he chooses for approval. Hopefully, he's a good salesman.

Uh huh. And FWIW, who makes the final decision? Who is he submitting the names to? Nuff said.

Methinks you have been too conditioned to accept negativity.

Granted, the Bills, despite all of the yearly marketing glitz, have not delivered on their 'sizzle' this decade.

Hope hardly springs eternal for Bills fans; myself included.

But I would like to give Nix some time (3-5 seasons) to see what he can do. To respond to your point, I don't believe that Ralph or Brandon or whomever hired Nix to simply be a puppet, either.

jw

Mr. Wawrow,

I have been wanting to ask somebody "in the know" such as yourself, as to how this reshuffled front office of Brandon as CEO and Nix as GM effects the role of Jim Overdorf. Will Brandon now have final say on contracts, and such?

Also, though still in the heat of interviewing coaching candidates, Nix did promise to review the performances of both Modrak and Guy. I'd be extremely disappointed if Nix simply allowed Guy to wander off into the sunset come May when his contract comes due, as Guy deserves to be fired.

I also see the horrible record of draft picks this decade as happening on Modrak's watch. For instance, from 2000-2005, the Bills selected some 50 players. Only 6 are still with the team. The 1st round draft picks this decade are also horrible. With the exception of Wood and Evans, it has been slim pickings at best.

Any word on the status of those 2?

I think this is our problem. Our owner hired the cook (Jauron) and butler (Levy).

PTR

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1705255

The brain trust actually wanted Mike Mularkey to stay, but he quit. Jauron was brought in by Levy. Furthermore, to even get him, they had to offer Dick more power, such as full-control over the coaching staff, than they had ever done in the past.

Common, that would be the case everywhere. GM runs search, goes to owner and says I like this guy.

Your skepticism of Wilson is well placed based on his history, but this decision making process isn't unique.

What will be unique from our standpoint will be if Ralph goes with Buddy's choice and then gets the hell out of the way.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1705255

The brain trust actually wanted Mike Mularkey to stay, but he quit. Jauron was brought in by Levy. Furthermore, to even get him, they had to offer Dick more power, such as full-control over the coaching staff, than they had ever done in the past.

Smart move by meathead. Why stick around as a lame duck coach with a GM who doesn't know you from Adam?

I think our owner, butler and cook worked very well together. Unfortunately, they only aspired to running something no greater than a soup kitchen. Is Gordon Ramsey available to be our next cook?

Mr. Wawrow,

I have been wanting to ask somebody "in the know" such as yourself, as to how this reshuffled front office of Brandon as CEO and Nix as GM effects the role of Jim Overdorf. Will Brandon now have final say on contracts, and such?

Also, though still in the heat of interviewing coaching candidates, Nix did promise to review the performances of both Modrak and Guy. I'd be extremely disappointed if Nix simply allowed Guy to wander off into the sunset come May when his contract comes due, as Guy deserves to be fired.

I also see the horrible record of draft picks this decade as happening on Modrak's watch. For instance, from 2000-2005, the Bills selected some 50 players. Only 6 are still with the team. The 1st round draft picks this decade are also horrible. With the exception of Wood and Evans, it has been slim pickings at best.

Any word on the status of those 2?

coaching search comes first before everything else is determined.

my question in regards to some of the draft picks is who had the final say on who was picked? i don't think it was Modrak.

jw