ESPN Insider- Top names linked to Buf Job

saundena

My totally amateur opinion:

Marty Mornhinweg OC Eagles

Am I the only one that thinks the Eagles offensive SYSTEM is overrated? If they don't get DeSean Jackson on a seam route for a TD they aren't that great. Looking at the system and routes that he put on the field I'm not a big fan. I think we'd go back to the old JP ball where we'd score the occasional deep-ball TD to Lee and not much else.

Leslie Frazier DC Vikings

I love that his defense was 3rd in the NFL at getting off the field on 3rd downs, this means that in critical situations, he knows how to call the right plays. Negative is discipline - 109 PIMs on the defense was near the highest in the NFL. When I watch this group play they are motivated. But for some reason this guy doesn't shout out to me as LEADER. Some head coaches have this look or fire in their eyes...it's intangible and entirely wrong to evaluate something like this though, since there's no way to measure it. On paper I don't mind this pick. My gut doesn't like it though.

Jason Garrett OC Cowboys

Have liked the Cowboys offense this year. Seem to be peaking at the right time. I really wanted Sean Payton when he came out of Dallas to the Saints and I'm afraid my interest in Garrett is tied to that. But either way I have a good feeling about this guy.

Brian Schottenheimer OC Jets

Not a fan. I don't like the Jets offense at all. It is very vanilla and reminds me of the various offenses the Bills have been running. I'm petrified of this signing turning into another same ol same ol Bills hiring we're used to seeing. Yes he likes to run the ball and yes that's good in cold weather, but what else can he really do?

Russ Grimm OL Cardinals

I love this signing. The OL Has been the biggest problem we've faced and this is a guy you just KNOW will get it fixed, ASAP. To me you fix OL before you even bother trying to evaluate how your QB/RB can play. He is a big-time winner in terms of the staffs he has worked with and watching Arizona the last couple years they have done a great job protecting in big games. The fact that he also has the Assistant HC title says a lot about his value/role in the team.

So to sum up, I would take in this order:

1) Russ Grimm.

2) Jason Garret.

3) Leslie Frasier

Not interested in the other 2.

Frazier reminds me of Tony Dungy a little actually. Another calm and collected guy that can really coach.

But, sadly, the other comparison I can draw is to DJ, a calm and collected guy that CANNOT coach.

So he is a toss up. Still my top choice though from the list you offer, followed by Grimm, B. Schott; and then Garrett and Mornigweg I don't like at all they are off my radar.

For those of you who may have recently joined this board, I must proudly tell you that this is a "green" group. We have been recycling the same head coaching names for months.

If you live in the Buffalo area, pay no attention to those rumors about global warming. Things will only heat up here when the Bills come to life again. But Buffalo is the best kept secret in the U.S. A great city to raise a family in, lots of great restaurants, beautiful surrounding area during all four seasons and friendly people who have a lot of heart. I sometimes wonder if Ralph Wilson would have done it differently this last half century, if he lived here instead of Detroit. Perhaps he would have had more pride and appreciation for the community and would have wanted the Bills to do well because of it.

My opinion is pretty meaningless, other than the fact I've been following the team since 1969. But I'll give you my take if you want it.

Despite opinions expressed on this board, I think Russ Brandon is a pretty smart guy. He's actually someone who we should be cheering for because he is trying to fix the mess that Ralph Wilson created. In fact I have heard that the Bills were actually losing money before Russ joined the team. The marketing and promotion of the Bills were as big a joke as the rest of the team.

Russ does get it. He really does. But he still works for Ralph Wilson Jr. He can't do anything without Ralph signing off on it. But Ralph trusts him and is giving him more control than anyone since Donahoe. That said, Brandon is the firewall between Ralph and the organization. His biggest job is convincing Ralph to go along with what Nix wants and keep Ralph from butting into personnel decisions, as we was wont to do in the past.

The Bills went after Shanahan, Cowher, Gruden, Dungy and Holmgren. They have not gone after Marty Schottenheimer, Billick, or Haslett, and probably won't. They made a massive offer to Cowher. He is stalling, so the Bills are interviewing coordinators now. You know all the usual names, but there is one I've heard that has not been mentioned anywhere and that's Marty Morningweg, the OC of the Eagles. Expect an interview this week. I have not heard anything about Frazier being the guy. He may be. I just haven't heard that.

So in a nut shell: Brandon is good. Bills are spending money. But the team/city/owner all have a rep to overcome. I hope this helps.

PTR

PTR all that training on rocket ship 7 has made you wise. Great read and a voice of reason vs reaction.

My opinion is pretty meaningless, other than the fact I've been following the team since 1969. But I'll give you my take if you want it.

Despite opinions expressed on this board, I think Russ Brandon is a pretty smart guy. He's actually someone who we should be cheering for because he is trying to fix the mess that Ralph Wilson created. In fact I have heard that the Bills were actually losing money before Russ joined the team. The marketing and promotion of the Bills were as big a joke as the rest of the team.

Russ does get it. He really does. But he still works for Ralph Wilson Jr. He can't do anything without Ralph signing off on it. But Ralph trusts him and is giving him more control than anyone since Donahoe. That said, Brandon is the firewall between Ralph and the organization. His biggest job is convincing Ralph to go along with what Nix wants and keep Ralph from butting into personnel decisions, as we was wont to do in the past.

The Bills went after Shanahan, Cowher, Gruden, Dungy and Holmgren. They have not gone after Marty Schottenheimer, Billick, or Haslett, and probably won't. They made a massive offer to Cowher. He is stalling, so the Bills are interviewing coordinators now. You know all the usual names, but there is one I've heard that has not been mentioned anywhere and that's Marty Morningweg, the OC of the Eagles. Expect an interview this week. I have not heard anything about Frazier being the guy. He may be. I just haven't heard that.

So in a nut shell: Brandon is good. Bills are spending money. But the team/city/owner all have a rep to overcome. I hope this helps.

PTR

It is encouring to have a guy with Buddy Nix's track record working aside brandon.

first of all, most if not all of the info guys at ESPN (Schefter, Mort & Clayton) are PIMPING the "ESPN Insider" so you will subscribe to their fee based service.

HERE IS THE LATEST INFO:

it comes from the guy who is putting up the Cowher billboard, and if he is to be believed, it's not good.

essentially he stating that he has talked to Schefter himself.....and that Schefter is staking his own reputation on the fact that BILL COWHER IS NOT COMING :

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/

Frazier reminds me of Tony Dungy a little actually. Another calm and collected guy that can really coach.

But, sadly, the other comparison I can draw is to DJ, a calm and collected guy that CANNOT coach.

So he is a toss up. Still my top choice though from the list you offer, followed by Grimm, B. Schott; and then Garrett and Mornigweg I don't like at all they are off my radar.

Not sure why...But my gut is telling me hiring Frazier will result in a complete mess in time...Now the good news is my gut is usually wrong...So take it for what it's worth... :huh: