Question For All of You

If McClain truly is what is hyped - cerebral on field general that can disrupt offenses, you grab him without thinking at #9.

If he declares for the draft and is available w/ the ninth overall pick, I'm quite sure he'll be the best available talent. In that case, I'd sure draft 'em if I were the GM.

If we rewind the clock with benefit of 20/20 hindsight to 2007, if Bills had the #9 slot, should they have gone for Willis or the best available QB or T at that slot?

They could've traded down and gotten a really good QB early in the 2nd round, then later (maybe by the 6th round), go after a quick 'backer in the 220lb range. W/ the extra pick, you could've gotten a stud OT in the first round (by trading down, you definitely would've gotten another first round pick).

I don't think McClain is worth passing on a top left tackle. I just wasn't THAT impressed watching him last night. And for a linebacker to be picked in the top 10 he needs to be RIDICULOUS.

Again, if McClain declares for the draft and is available, the only OT I'd draft instead of McClain w/ the ninth overall pick would be Russell Okung. If you draft another OT ninth overall, it smacks of reaching for a player (as many believe the Bills did when they drafted Donte Whitner eighth overall). Now, if Okung and McClain are both available when the Bills' pick comes up, I'd be happy to see either guy drafted.

being a field general on defense is great, but it doesn't warrant such a high pick unless it's backed by crazy athleticism. Willis ran a sub 4.4 40 and played like he was that fast at Ole Miss. I didn't see close to that kind of speed from McClain.

Willis' best time, 4.37, was from his pro day, where everyone's stats are inflated. He ran in the 4.49 area @ the combine, I believe. Believe me, there's a significant difference from 4.40 to 4.49. Both are fast, though.

As for McClain, I've watched enough of him the past three years to know that his combination of size, speed, football intelligence and his work ethic make him a special talent. I can't see how anyone could watch his performance yesterday and think he looked slow. There was one tackle for a loss he had where he basically stopped his own momentum to cut back and tackle the runner behind the line. Not too many slow LBs can do stuff like that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LBs are like the RBs of the defense. Unless the line in front of them is good, you will never get the true value out of them. We really need to add another run stuffer to keep olinemen off of our LBs. I think Harris can be a player in this league. That said, if no top 10 talent OT or DT is available when we pick, I'd be thrilled with McClaine (and I want Mount Cody big time as well).

I don't think McClain is worth passing on a top left tackle. I just wasn't THAT impressed watching him last night. And for a linebacker to be picked in the top 10 he needs to be RIDICULOUS.

being a field general on defense is great, but it doesn't warrant such a high pick unless it's backed by crazy athleticism. Willis ran a sub 4.4 40 and played like he was that fast at Ole Miss. I didn't see close to that kind of speed from McClain.

Not singling you out, but I've always had a big problem with the "you don't take X position that early in the round" because all that does is provide cover for inept talent evaluators. I know that people will provide verifiable data that shows X position being taken after certain slots in round one as justification for shying away from a player, but that data is suspect because evaluating draft prospects is more art than science, so if there's a question between players the GMs will resort to a safe pick of who "should" be taken that spot. An example is TD taking Mike Williams because he didn't like McKinney, but also knew that he had to take a tackle, because numbers tell you that with the 4th overall pick you take a big body.

But in the end, you want your first pick to be for a guy who will contribute to the team and who will be a very good football player. If you have good personnel people, they should be able to discern if a player will make your team better.

Using other examples, was it wise in retrospect for every team to pass up Chris Spielman in the first round because he was slow and small? Zach Thomas lasting into 5th round? Saint Bruschi into 3rd?

McClain may not have the raw athleticism of a Mike Mamula, but scouts probably don't discount a defensive coordinator who's on the field and understands the game and has the instinct to know where the offense is going. That alone could make McClain the best LB Bills have had since a healthy Spikes. I'll take that with the #9 pick any day.

As for McClain, I've watched enough of him the past three years to know that his combination of size, speed, football intelligence and his work ethic make him a special talent. I can't see how anyone could watch his performance yesterday and think he looked slow. There was one tackle for a loss he had where he basically stopped his own momentum to cut back and tackle the runner behind the line. Not too many slow LBs can do stuff like that.

You know how much I like McClain and Bama, but I am of the very strong opinion that he will be long gone before we pick. You also know how much I want a legit left tackle. Now, we I be upset if somehow McClain slips to us and we select him? Not one bit. The kid is great and I am seeing a bigger, more versatile player than Patrick Willis.

Jmo.

It seems to me that everyone on here wants to draft a LT. Is there no one here who is interested in acquiring one through FA??? There's a few available; Marcus McNeill from San Diego (Buddy Nix connection?), Jermon Bushrod in NO is a RFA, but from what I've read, he's young, cheap and has done a pretty good job protecting Drew Brees....Just throwing ideas out there. I'd personally like to get a LT in FA and draft McClain, a DT like McCoy or *flame suit on* Sam Bradford if his shoulder checks out and is available. But in all honesty, none of us know who the Bills will choose, and I'm hoping this draft is even better than last years. MINUS the Maybin pick. Blah.

I'd be thrilled with McClaine (and I want Mount Cody big time as well).

I thought the same thing it would be nice to have a giant stop gap in the middle Stroud isn't getting any younger. Poz would benefit from Cody as well. This guy is a big fat animal!

Agreed.

You have to look @ the talent available where you're picking and get the most "bang for your buck", so to speak. The worst thing to do is to go into the draft looking to just draft a position, regardless of the talent available @ the time of the pick.

110% agree. We've been drafting for position for years, and it's gotten us nowhere. Take the best available player on the board when our turn comes, and make him a difference maker in his first season ... whatever he plays. Then hope for a diamond in the rough. Tony Romo wasn't even drafted. Brady went in the 6th round. Those teams are in the playoffs every year. Just get the best guy available in the first 3 rounds, and hope they're OL or LBs .. if they're not, find the best OL and LB in subsequent rounds. And if we have a legitimate coaching staff in place, free agency will be a lot better for us, too. I think Nix to GM was a positive move for the perception of the front office; that's where it starts. If they build it .. they will come.

It seems to me that everyone on here wants to draft a LT. Is there no one here who is interested in acquiring one through FA???

When was the last time you saw this happen? Teams (other than the Bills) keep these guys. They don't trade them or let them walk; it doesn't happen.

The UFA OT they shoud focus on imo is Jeremy Trueblood to play RT.

It seems to me that everyone on here wants to draft a LT. Is there no one here who is interested in acquiring one through FA??? There's a few available; Marcus McNeill from San Diego (Buddy Nix connection?), Jermon Bushrod in NO is a RFA, but from what I've read, he's young, cheap and has done a pretty good job protecting Drew Brees....Just throwing ideas out there. I'd personally like to get a LT in FA and draft McClain, a DT like McCoy or *flame suit on* Sam Bradford if his shoulder checks out and is available. But in all honesty, none of us know who the Bills will choose, and I'm hoping this draft is even better than last years. MINUS the Maybin pick. Blah.

Bushrod is okay, but has his problems w/ speed rushers and, in my opinion, isn't worth the 1st AND 3rd round pick that would be necessary to get him as a RFA.

You know how much I like McClain and Bama, but I am of the very strong opinion that he will be long gone before we pick. You also know how much I want a legit left tackle. Now, we I be upset if somehow McClain slips to us and we select him? Not one bit. The kid is great and I am seeing a bigger, more versatile player than Patrick Willis.

Jmo.

I think McClain is going to be a very good player but one thing to keep in mind is he NEVER has to deal with blockers getting on him quickly because of a great Alabama d-line. With Willis, Ole Miss didn't have close to the d-line in front of him. Don't get me wrong, he is a player. But it's something to think about.

When was the last time you saw this happen? Teams (other than the Bills) keep these guys. They don't trade them or let them walk; it doesn't happen.

True. The best move Jerry Jones did in his early years running the Cowboys was to lock up his O line in long term deals, thereby paving the way for Emmitt Smith, Troy Aiman, and Michael Irvin to have their Hall of Fame careers.

The UFA OT they shoud focus on imo is Jeremy Trueblood to play RT.

I don't know what Donald Penn's contract situation is, but I really like his potential. Trueblood isn't going anywhere.

I think McClain is going to be a very good player but one thing to keep in mind is he NEVER has to deal with blockers getting on him quickly because of a great Alabama d-line. With Willis, Ole Miss didn't have close to the d-line in front of him. Don't get me wrong, he is a player. But it's something to think about.

Ole Miss' D line wasn't as shabby as you'd like to think. Jayme Mitchell was a really good college DE that ended up going to the NFL and Atlanta drafted a guy by the name of Peria Jerry that many here on TBD would've liked to have seen the Bills draft.

Ole Miss' D line wasn't as shabby as you'd like to think. Jayme Mitchell was a really good college DE that ended up going to the NFL and Atlanta drafted a guy by the name of Peria Jerry that many here on TBD would've liked to have seen the Bills draft.

You're right and I completely forgot about Jerry. My bad. I just Alabama has one of the best college d-lines I have seen in a long time. Cody commands a double every play and they have a lot of good depth.

Good point, but it looks as if the kid can do anything he wants, to include a "Bryce Paup" role in a 3/4. Bryce was stronger, but this kid weighs 258 and is faster.