Whoever is the new coach should look at Ted Cottrell for DC

gfalk87

Cottrell is an experienced defensive coach that is considered one of the best at putting together a 3-4 defense. He has significant Buffalo ties, as well as, some time spent with the Chargers. If not as a defensive coordinator, maybe he can be brought in for some other type of position on the defensive side of the ball. I have not heard any rumors about Cottrell, this is just a thought I had because he always put together tough defenses while with the Bills.

Cottrell is an experienced defensive coach that is considered one of the best at putting together a 3-4 defense. He has significant Buffalo ties, as well as, some time spent with the Chargers. If not as a defensive coordinator, maybe he can be brought in for some other type of position on the defensive side of the ball. I have not heard any rumors about Cottrell, this is just a thought I had because he always put together tough defenses while with the Bills.

Cottrell's "read and react" defense finished nicely in the 1999 season (#1 overall), but I'm tired of passive defenses such as his and the cover 2. I want an "attacking" defense to watch...

I think I'm gonna puke. I'd rather not endure yet another defensive scheme that counts on the other team making mistakes instead of the Bills being aggressive.

:unsure:

you are correct

Ted would be the typical Bills hire.

why not hire a guy that has been fired from 4 different teams as their D coordinator due to pisspoor performance

his only success when Wade was running the show

Like I said he wouldn't have to come back as the DC. I just like the fact that he has a lot of experience working in 3-4 defenses and even he came back as a defensive consultant I think it would help. If you look around the NFL the top defenses every year use a 3-4 scheme (Ravens, Steelers, Packers, Jets... etc). I agree I am sick of seeing the Bills put out a passive defense that plays bend, but dont break football. The team needs a change and I think Cottrell could help in changing things over.

you are correct

why not hire a guy that has been fired from 4 different teams as their D coordinator due to pisspoor performance

he was fired along with all those head coaches except in SD.

In addition, his defenses with the bills were always top 6 and he was able to run both the 4-3 (with the jets) and 3-4 (bills and chargers). his pass defenses are somewhat questionable but his front 7 is always good. perhaps another DC worth looking at is Jerry Gray. Im not a 4-3 fan but his defenses under Williams were solid, especially pass defenses. perhaps a combination of the two would work well.

you are correct

Obviously, this fact has been overlooked by gfalk87. Thanks, but no thanks to Ted.

Like I said he wouldn't have to come back as the DC. I just like the fact that he has a lot of experience working in 3-4 defenses and even he came back as a defensive consultant I think it would help. If you look around the NFL the top defenses every year use a 3-4 scheme (Ravens, Steelers, Packers, Jets... etc). I agree I am sick of seeing the Bills put out a passive defense that plays bend, but dont break football. The team needs a change and I think Cottrell could help in changing things over.

There are aggressive 3-4 defenses and there are "read and react" 3-4 defenses. Cottrell's defenses were the latter, so he couldn't possibly help in changing things over. We let D. LeBeau get away when we shouldn't have. He runs aggressive 3-4 defenses..

he was fired along with all those head coaches except in SD.

In addition, his defenses with the bills were always top 6 and he was able to run both the 4-3 (with the jets) and 3-4 (bills and chargers). his pass defenses are somewhat questionable but his front 7 is always good. perhaps another DC worth looking at is Jerry Gray. Im not a 4-3 fan but his defenses under Williams were solid, especially pass defenses. perhaps a combination of the two would work well.

The p[roblem with Gray is that he is not honest and cannot be respected by his players for that reason.

Our starting cb (McGee) has or had a big lawsuit against him for fraud.

Gray is no-go in Buffalo

Do not hire Cottrell. Ted Cotrell is a perfect example of not being able to do anything unless he has top tier defensive talent, like the talent he had on the Bills D in the late 90's. Ted Cotrell would be a bad choice, a choice we need to stay awy from.

No they shouldn't look at Cottrell. He hasn't done anything since he was dumped by Buffalo. There a dozens of better candidates than Ted, it would be a step downhill to bring him in. He wouldn't have players the caliber of Bruce Smith, Talley, Bennett, Hanson, Conlan, Odomes, etc. to make him look good.

Are you guys aware that there are actually "good" candidates who have not been Bills coaches in the past? This homerism of wanting to think our current/former players and coaches are all world is crazy. We have not made the playoffs in 10 years. most of these scrubs wouldn't make other teams let alone start. We suck, our coaching staffs have sucked.......