Cowher the Cowher is Cowher for Cowher in Cowher's Cowher

bills_red

I was listening to the local sports guys in DC over lunch. They mentioned the issue is with how the Bills have treated coaches and players over the last 10 years. they specifically mentioned Trent Edwards. Seems some coaches they interviewed have mentioned they like Trent and want him as the starter, but the front office seems to be listening to the fan base and doing everything to corrupt Trents career and run him out of Buffalo, rather than give him the tools he needed to succeed. Seems whoever in the front office has already told whoever this coach was that his job will be to develop whatever Qb the FO feels will be the leader of the future.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shanahan/Elway, Bellicheat/ Brady,Levy/ Kelly,

I think its safe to say most successful HC have or had above average QB's during their HC career.(not all)

Agreed...and actually, The Big Tuna coached some pretty good QB's too...Phil Simms and Bledsoe in his prime.

I was listening to the local sports guys in DC over lunch. They mentioned the issue is with how the Bills have treated coaches and players over the last 10 years. they specifically mentioned Trent Edwards. Seems some coaches they interviewed have mentioned they like Trent and want him as the starter, but the front office seems to be listening to the fan base and doing everything to corrupt Trents career and run him out of Buffalo, rather than give him the tools he needed to succeed. Seems whoever in the front office has already told whoever this coach was that his job will be to develop whatever Qb the FO feels will be the leader of the future.

you're kidding right?? coaches are declining the Bills gig b/c the front office wont let Edwards play??

thanks for adding a little levity to this dour situation

That makes no sense, why would a fanbase WANT a QB to fail? Signing TO was supposed to help Trent, and he regressed and refused to acknowledge his role in the offensive failures of this season. I wouldn't be upset if he got another chance with the Bills this year, but its past the time for him to start making some plays.

you're kidding right?? coaches are declining the Bills gig b/c the front office wont let Edwards play??

thanks for adding a little levity to this dour situation

They implied that TO was pretty much all the front office gave Trent and that the Front office was done with him becuase they believe that's what the fans "want". Whoever this person they talked to was seemed to have liked what he saw from Trent and the front office told the candidate that there was no way they would allow that dog to show again. This was used as one example, but from what they said, this was very typical of how the front office is working and not letting coaches grow and groom there own choices.

why is it Schottenheimer's interest to decline? why did Shanahan decline (maybe he could coach the bills in a couple years) or why did Gruden say he wanted to stay in broadcasting another year?

I agree in the sense that he is waiting on something but I'll be disappointed and the Bills should feel disrespected if he does not "officially" end any speculation relating to the Bills hc spot. Isn't in the Bills interest to clear his name from the list officially so other candidates don't feel like he is in the mix? I think his presence and the billboard, etc would cloud their HC search, no?

Shanahan is easy - the Redskins will spend more on assistant coaches, support staff, and veteran free agents than the Bills will, so Shanahan judged that that extra support gives us a better chance to win.

Gruden is a little more mysterious. As near as I can tell, Gruden was really burned by being fired in Tampa Bay. After all, Tampa traded first round draft choices to get him, and then all Gruden did was WIN A SUPER BOWL WITH THE TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS!!!! And for all that he got fired after going 9-7 in a tough division. As they used to say about Washington - if you want a friend, get a dog. Gruden appears to genuinely be enjoying broadcasting, he's working a heck of a lot fewer hours, getting good money, and has tons more job security.

Schottenheimer turning us down is borderline inexplicable. The closest example I can think of is when Gary Kubiak consistenty turned down suitors until the Texans job opened up. All I can do is take him at his word - he feels like he has a really good thing going in New York, he's only had one year to get things going, and he wants to both finish what he started, and also not to give up on a good thing just for something else down the road... I don't think its anything specific to Buffalo that caused him to turn us down.

So, back to Cowher, I don't think either John Fox or Carolina (or even Tampa) have been as definitive about their 2010 plans as they could be. Obviously, the Jacksonville job very nearly opened up over the weekend. My suspicion is that Cowher is 99% certain he'd choose to go back to CBS over coaching Buffalo, but I think that he really would prefer to Coach next year at one of his favored teams (and lock in a contract before 2011 starts) rather than go back to CBS - and so he's choosing not to burn any bridges until he's been absolutely, positively, reduced to only two options for next season: either Buffalo or CBS.

JDG

Anyone who really likes Trent Edwards at this point clearly hasn't been watching tape of Bills games. At best, you might like Trent as a project - but there's no way you can conclude at this point that he gives a team a great chance to win.

JDG

Anyone who really likes Trent Edwards at this point clearly hasn't been watching tape of Bills games. At best, you might like Trent as a project - but there's no way you can conclude at this point that he gives a team a great chance to win.

JDG

Well whoever they radio guys were talking to, seemed to think Trent should be the long term starter. But the FO said No.

I'm calling complet bull :thumbsup: on this. The Bills FO and fans gave Trent every possible means to succeed. They annointed him the unquestioned starter. Then they cut the one guy "competing" with hi mto be starter (JP) and signed a good backup in Fitzpatrick. They got the biggest WR FA on the market in TO for him to throw to. All the while saying Trent is our guy and making him a team captain.

It wasn't until he got injured and a bad QB like Fitzpatrick came in and suddenly the offense looked competent that his starter's position was questioned.

The only thing the Trent suppoorter's have is the Oline. And, yes, the line was bad. But, Trent did absolutely nothing to help the line. His decision making was horrid, he held onto the ball, and generally looked shell shocked during games.

Quite honestly, if someone is turning down the Bills' HC job because they realyl like Trent, well great. The last think I want is someone coming in thinking they can resurrect Trent's "career".

Some coaches they interviewed? Who? Frazier?

I'm calling complet bull :thumbsup: on this. The Bills FO and fans gave Trent every possible means to succeed. They annointed him the unquestioned starter. Then they cut the one guy "competing" with hi mto be starter (JP) and signed a good backup in Fitzpatrick. They got the biggest WR FA on the market in TO for him to throw to. All the while saying Trent is our guy and making him a team captain.

It wasn't until he got injured and a bad QB like Fitzpatrick came in and suddenly the offense looked competent that his starter's position was questioned.

The only thing the Trent suppoorter's have is the Oline. And, yes, the line was bad. But, Trent did absolutely nothing to help the line. His decision making was horrid, he held onto the ball, and generally looked shell shocked during games.

Quite honestly, if someone is turning down the Bills' HC job because they realyl like Trent, well great. The last think I want is someone coming in thinking they can resurrect Trent's "career".

recall that at the beginning of the season, prior to all the injuries, etc - the line held up ok; he had enough time to scan the field and check down to a back or lock into derek fine for a 3 yard pass. his problem is he doesn't look to throw the ball down field. he got the yips in that MNF Cleveland game and has not been the same. he earned the moniker captain checkdown. the o-line also run blocked at the beginning of the year. injuries, etc led to the awful line displayed in the atlanta game.

recall that at the beginning of the season, prior to all the injuries, etc - the line held up ok; he had enough time to scan the field and check down to a back or lock into derek fine for a 3 yard pass. his problem is he doesn't look to throw the ball down field. he got the yips in that MNF Cleveland game and has not been the same. he earned the moniker captain checkdown. the o-line also run blocked at the beginning of the year. injuries, etc led to the awful line displayed in the atlanta game.

Yes and when the run game isn't working, that's when you need your QB to stretch the field. He never did that. Other than 1-2 throws per game. Defenses learned real quick how to stop Trent and he never figured out how to beat them. By early this yearm his confidence was sot and with it... his starters job.

If sports writers in other towns are saying Trent is all that... my guess is they've never really seen him play and are completely unaware of the Bills team. What a shock.

Yes and when the run game isn't working, that's when you need your QB to stretch the field. He never did that. Other than 1-2 throws per game. Defenses learned real quick how to stop Trent and he never figured out how to beat them. By early this yearm his confidence was sot and with it... his starters job.

If sports writers in other towns are saying Trent is all that... my guess is they've never really seen him play and are completely unaware of the Bills team. What a shock.

The sports writers didn't say it. They were repeating whoever the candidate the Bills spoke with said.