ESPN 3D

WWVaBeach

Can you even buy a 3D TV? This sounds awesome but I'm skeptical about how long it will be before I can afford one...

Long time before I'll buy one.

To watch the content, viewers must have a 3D-ready TV set, and might need a new set-top box. And yes, viewers also must wear 3D glasses.

Yeah, thats $10,000 right there. And the technology behind it is bull ****. You should have been able to watch with the cardboard movie glasses rather than the expensive glasses. A good article on this is here.

I am still on SD waiting for a good deal on a HDTV (Will be getting a nice 32 inch HD TV sometime in February or March). I think that 3D is still a bit away I think that they are going to have to find a way to convince people its a little more then a gimmick. Having to wear those stupid glasses just to watch a sports game or play a video game (Video games and sports the 2 things that drove HD) might be a hard sell for quick public adaptation.

I think that as we enter this new decade HD is becoming the standard; since 2006 there has been a huge push towards HD on the television front as more and more shows became broad casted in HD and video game consoles started to enter the HD market. Over the past 4 years HD TV's have gotten cheaper and there is much more available in HD so while 3D would be cool I just don't think the American Public is going to be sold as easily on 3D especially if you need glasses to view it.

But !@#$ what the hell do I know.

I am still on SD waiting for a good deal on a HDTV (Will be getting a nice 32 inch HD TV sometime in February or March).

You're STILL waiting for a good deal on an HDTV....? <_< The deals have been around forever. I bought a 42" plasma for $700 in 2008!

Also - you'll probably want something bigger than 32", especially if you already have a 32" CRT TV. A 42" widescreen television is the same height as a 32" tube TV; the 42" is just a little wider. There's a common misconception that, "I have a 32" TV now, so I'll just buy a 32" HDTV and it'll be pretty much the same." If you buy a 32" HDTV, it'll look TINY compared to a 32" CRT.

Long time before I'll buy one.

Yeah, thats $10,000 right there. And the technology behind it is bull ****. You should have been able to watch with the cardboard movie glasses rather than the expensive glasses. A good article on this is here.

Yep, but when I bought my first DLP for $3500, plasmas were close to $7500, and that was only December 2003, so prices on the #D capable TVs will most likely go the same route.

You're STILL waiting for a good deal on an HDTV....? :wallbash: The deals have been around forever. I bought a 42" plasma for $700 in 2008!

Also - you'll probably want something bigger than 32", especially if you already have a 32" CRT TV. A 42" widescreen television is the same height as a 32" tube TV; the 42" is just a little wider. There's a common misconception that, "I have a 32" TV now, so I'll just buy a 32" HDTV and it'll be pretty much the same." If you buy a 32" HDTV, it'll look TINY compared to a 32" CRT.

I just got a 47" VIZIO LCD for $898 interest free for 18 months. :thumbsup:

You're STILL waiting for a good deal on an HDTV....? :thumbdown: The deals have been around forever. I bought a 42" plasma for $700 in 2008!

not to speak for billsfan, but i imagine that you are financially more well off than me and possibly him as $700 is tough to come by in this economy. At the moment, (with $50,000 and counting in college debt) I wouldn't spend more than $400 on a TV so I opt to deal with the P.O.S. of a tv that I have had for the past 10 years.