Sully's Article

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

REALLY? Need I remind you that the NFL has been littered with the corpses of outstanding college coaches who have done nothing as head coaches... and his article doesn't even mention Billick!

NO, Sullivan is trying to find someone who will POTENTIALLY make our offense better, who had a great one at Stanford. Stanford is not the NFL, and as history shows us, only people with proven NFL coaching experience win championships.

Bobby Petrino

Lou Holtz

Steve Spurrier

Nick Saban

Dennis Erickson

Butch Davis

Rich Brooks

yup. reasonable arguments in there. though i still have hopes for cowher it more and more looks like that wont happen.

and this is not someone who just whips ups an insane offense bound to fail at the nfl level, as with spurrier or leach f.e., but rather a smashmouth type wich has worked in the nfl already.

and he has the pedigree? ( not sure if thats the right word as english is not my native language :lol: )

i mean hes from a football-family that has enjoyed some success in coaching.

so, if it cant be cowher, id like him.

Jim Harbaugh has certainly turned around the Stanford program and made them into someone respectable again. I wouldn't doubt that he'd soon be winning the Pac-10 title if he keeps things going the way he is now.

But I always wonder about grabbing a coach from the college ranks and bringing him into the NFL. There are very few cases where taking a coach from the NCAA and jumping him right into the NFL has worked...Jimmy Johnson & Dennis Green come to mind, but Nick Saban, Butch Davis, Steve Spurrier, Dennis Erickson, and Bobby Petrino also come to mind.

It's just a different game - college is all about recruiting and managing the players. Xs and Os are part of it, but not as much as it is in the NFL. This article is a couple of years old, but I think it gets the point across. Successful NCAA coaches aren't necessarily suited to the NFL.

This isn't to say Jim Harbaugh can't succeed. I just think the percentages are low for him doing so. I'd rather see someone that has an NFL coaching background, be it an assistant or former head coach.

REALLY? Need I remind you that the NFL has been littered with the corpses of outstanding college coaches who have done nothing as head coaches... and his article doesn't even mention Billick!

NO, Sullivan is trying to find someone who will POTENTIALLY make our offense better, who had a great one at Stanford. Stanford is not the NFL, and as history shows us, only people with proven NFL coaching experience win championships.

Bobby Petrino

Lou Holtz

Steve Spurrier

Nick Saban

Dennis Erickson

Butch Davis

Rich Brooks

I agree. Plus there's the friction with Kelly.

The difference is Harbaugh played quarterback in the NFL and did coach a season in the NFL. He knows the pro game and is a smart and innovative coach who knows how to lead and motivate players. I'd love to see him come here.

Bobby Petrino

Lou Holtz

Steve Spurrier

Nick Saban

Dennis Erickson

Butch Davis

Rich Brooks

Found it hard to disagree. Let's get Jim Harbaugh.

i'd never take anyone that sullivan recommends - he's not a bills fan - never will be - he does not have the best interest of the bills in anything that spews from his negatuve, venemous scratchings

Kelly is not a coach or owner? Friction with Kelly should be relevant to the Bills selection process?

Should we check with OJ too?

In case you missed it, Kelly, while a HOF'er like OJ, is the unofficial ambassador for the Bills, looking to be part of an ownership group of the team, and to my knowledge, hasn't committed, or been accused of committing, double homicide.

Bobby Petrino

Lou Holtz

Steve Spurrier

Nick Saban

Dennis Erickson

Butch Davis

Rich Brooks

I'm not going to argue with you on that, you're right. I was locked on the idea of what Dick Vermeil did for the Eagles after coming from UCLA, a young guy with passion and fire, I know, definitely an exception here, for this debate.

Bobby Petrino

Lou Holtz

Steve Spurrier

Nick Saban

Dennis Erickson

Butch Davis

Rich Brooks

Just off the top of my head, I only see one guy in there who played QB in the NFL. Harbaugh did for 14 years.

In case you missed it, Kelly, while a HOF'er like OJ, is the unofficial ambassador for the Bills, looking to be part of an ownership group of the team, and to my knowledge, hasn't committed, or been accused of committing, double homicide.

When he raises the money and closes the deal great he should pick the coach.

Until then.....

Bobby Petrino

Lou Holtz

Steve Spurrier

Nick Saban

Dennis Erickson

Butch Davis

Rich Brooks

How many of those guys you mentioned have had a 14 year career as an NFL quarterback? Since Cowher isn't coming here, the Bills would be lucky to get a guy like Jim Harbaugh to come here. He's a slam dunk for being a successful NFL head coach. Think of it as getting Jeff Fischer or Bill Cowher as a rookie NFL head coach.

Sully calls stanford a joke at one point in his article then later says harbaugh turned around a top program.....contradiction

SO what if he was a QB in the NFL for 14 years, there are alot of coaches who were QBs caoching in the NFL (AVP- frank reich just off the top of my head--yea they were backups)

Harbaugh might be a good pick but he has no NFL experience. This is exactly the type of pick the Bills dont need right now. they need proven NFL coaching not a wish and a dream from Sully. Had to expect the lemmings to agree

i'd never take anyone that sullivan recommends - he's not a bills fan - never will be - he does not have the best interest of the bills in anything that spews from his negatuve, venemous scratchings

Too bad he's been right more than wrong over the last 10 years. The Bills have sucked from coaching to front office, and he's been saying it the whole time.

Sully calls stanford a joke at one point in his article then later says harbaugh turned around a top program.....contradiction

SO what if he was a QB in the NFL for 14 years, there are alot of coaches who were QBs caoching in the NFL (AVP- frank reich just off the top of my head--yea they were backups)

Harbaugh might be a good pick but he has no NFL experience. This is exactly the type of pick the Bills dont need right now. they need proven NFL coaching not a wish and a dream from Sully. Had to expect the lemmings to agree

:lol:

Unfortunately, our dumb-ass team will probably be thinking along the same lines as you. The Bills need to think big and swing for the fence and grab the guy who has "best coach in the NFL" kind of promising career. Not grab another freaking boring retread who only won because of the Raven's brilliant front office's moves, defensive players and defensive coaches.

:lol:

Unfortunately, our dumb-ass team will probably be thinking along the same lines as you. The Bills need to think big and swing for the fence and grab the guy who has "best coach in the NFL" kind of promising career. Not grab another freaking boring retread who only won because of the Raven's brilliant front office's moves, defensive players and defensive coaches.

Just like the Tony dungy blows bc he lucky enough to have peyton, Bellichick only wins bc of brady, of the steelers won two superbowls bc of their defense.

You can say that for any successful team.

The NFL is not like college. none of you on this board were talking harbaugh until sullys article but like a bunch of middle school girls watching MTV its like "omg thats suuuuch a good idea"

Just like the Tony dungy blows bc he lucky enough to have peyton, Bellichick only wins bc of brady, of the steelers won two superbowls bc of their defense.

You can say that for any successful team.

The NFL is not like college. none of you on this board were talking harbaugh until sullys article but like a bunch of middle school girls watching MTV its like "omg thats suuuuch a good idea"

Wrong again...

November 25, 2009

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...=102234&hl=

"Who's the coach going to be? My guess is that he'd hire a guy like Jim Harbaugh. Tough as nails, knows the pro game, knows the QB position. I think that Harbaugh has a good chance to be the next Jeff Fisher or Bill Cowher. A former player turned head coach who has a real passion for winning."

Wrong again...

November 25, 2009

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...=102234&hl=

"Who's the coach going to be? My guess is that he'd hire a guy like Jim Harbaugh. Tough as nails, knows the pro game, knows the QB position. I think that Harbaugh has a good chance to be the next Jeff Fisher or Bill Cowher. A former player turned head coach who has a real passion for winning."

Haha i knew i should have qualified it and said in the past week...... sorry i didnt go back 6 weeks to make sure.