Lil Donte

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't underscore the coaching aspect of it though...some of these guys could be shades better with coaching. Also Maybin is a youngster and is still learning to play the game.

Every rookie is still learning to play the game but few have looked so completely lost. The coaching excuse is thrown around a lot on these boards. Actually, coming full circle, that was one of the "Donte Lovers" excuse for years. Did Kyle Williams and Schobel get better coaching than Maybin? Don't you think a teams 1st round pick is going to get extra attention form his coaches? Every year you see DE/OLB's come into the NFL and register a good sack total. Dumerville came in a year before Jarvis Moss and has completely outplayed him. Better coaching? No, Dumerville was a dominant pass rusher for years at L'ville. Look, I would love to see Maybin develop into a monster, nothing would make me happier. But he was a complete disaster this year and will continue to be one in the future.

beating the horse man.... Hes barely been of age to drink alcohol, this isn't the NBA. In 3 years i'll accept the bust card if he's not beasting it by then which he will be.

So if he's just a young guy why don't the Bills go to the Rivals 100 and draft the top DE out of high school? Erie Bills, PSU fan I'm guessing. Poz is a top MLB too right? Maurice Evans was twice the player Maybin was. Maybin, like Donte will be a bust...unfortunately.

beating the horse man.... Hes barely been of age to drink alcohol, this isn't the NBA. In 3 years i'll accept the bust card if he's not beasting it by then which he will be.

I agree that it will take time with Maybin. But you just can't draft 3 year projects in round one anymore, with the possible exception of a franchise QB. It's astounding that he played the entire season and really didn't make a positive contribution.

When I saw Maybin the first time in the preseason I was shocked to see how little power he played with. If you are going to be a pass rusher in the Jason Taylor/Merriman/Ware mold, as the Bills were hoping, you have to play with force. I don't know if he is just soft or what, but he does not play with strength or leverage. He's on skates out there.

I don't know if he is just soft or what, but he does not play with strength or leverage. He's on skates out there.

I don't think he's soft at all. He was the only guy playing in the Rose Bowl last year when USC was destroying PSU. The one thing that I liked about him in college was his passion for the game, I just think he's outclassed. He played at around 230lbs last year and he put on more weight than he could handle this year also. You would think sitting on the sidelines and watching a pro like Schobel would help him develop, but nothing. Go Bills!

After the debacle that was the 2006 draft (othere than KW), we kept hoping DW would show something other than the ability to play multiple secondary positions at a mediocre level and "leadership" skills. Then there were those fans who vehemently defended him saying that it was the rest of the defense who sucked (correct, they do suck but so does DW), or that the coaches were playing him at to many positions or he's a 91 on Madden so he must be good.

But after this season it is clear, Lil Donte was simply one of the worst first round picks in the history of the team and continued the tailspin that the Bills are in. He was to small to play SS and to slow to play CB. Now a WR and a rookie start over him. Another Marv Levy miracle!

I don't know what it is about Lil Donte that I never liked. But one thing was clear, he was a terrible pick and a VERY average player.

Good bye Lil Donte, please keep your mouth shut in the future little man.

One thing: too slow? He ran a sub-4.4 forty. Speed is not the problem.

I don't understand why you guys are bashing Lynch. He's a good football player and would've put up 1,500+ yards behind the Jets OL last year and the year before. Our OL sucks. If Lynch would've been here and starting from day 1 this season he would've put up over 1,000 yards again, LIKE HE DID THE TWO PREVIOUS YEARS. Last year, he was one of the lone bright spots on our crap team with his effort being rewarded by getting to go to the Pro Bowl. Some of you guys never cease to amaze me how quickly you forget and turn on people.

I don't understand why you guys are bashing Lynch. He's a good football player and would've put up 1,500+ yards behind the Jets OL last year and the year before. Our OL sucks. If Lynch would've been here and starting from day 1 this season he would've put up over 1,000 yards again, LIKE HE DID THE TWO PREVIOUS YEARS. Last year, he was one of the lone bright spots on our crap team with his effort being rewarded by getting to go to the Pro Bowl. Some of you guys never cease to amaze me how quickly you forget and turn on people.

Then why do the Bills insist on starting Fred Jackson and giving him 33 carries in the season finale? Lynch apparently bulked up, and his quickness isn't what it used to be. Additionally, he hesitates behind the LOS and isn't decisive as opposed to FJ and doesn't catch the ball as well.

Lynch's run-in's with the law don't help his case, nor does his salary.

I think Whitner is released this offseason, given his contract and few contributions. We're in a different era with there being no cap in 2010 w/o a new CBA, and players like DW will suffer because of it.

But, with Lynch not being the starter anymore, what's that say about Levy's draft? They get worse with every game played. With four first day picks, he's come away with one starter: Posluszny. That's not good enough in a small market, which must get no fewer than 2-3 long term (4 or more years) starters. Buffalo blew 3 1sts in two years. Ouch.

I hope that week keep both Whitner and Lynch. They may not be starters anymore, but until we have someone on the roster who is better why get rid of them? We have too many needs already and don't need to create depth problems at safety and running back.

One thing: too slow? He ran a sub-4.4 forty. Speed is not the problem.

You think a guy with more than 4 years of NFL service runs as fast as he did four years ago? Donte may have straight-line speed, but he takes bad angles, is washed out in the box, and is nicked up more frequently than he was in 06-07.

I didn't see a whole lot of DW today, and he's behind Byrd, Scott, and Wilson in the depth chart if he survives next season.

RB's are a dime-a-dozen. If you don't realize that, you don't follow the league. There are a handful of true star RB's then a bunch of guys at the Fred Jackson level then a whole bunch more who have a lot of limitations like Lynch. He's a 3.9 ypc type RB and would be the same elsewhere. Reason is that he does not see the hole well and doesn't make the big runs that spike the average. Not a good pass catcher either. I would also note that he probably wouldn't have rushed for 1500 yards anywhere after being suspended at the beginning of the season. The guy is half trouble and the other half just another decent RB. He's kind of a poor man's Travis Henry. That is not what you want from a top half first rounder.

I hope that week keep both Whitner and Lynch. They may not be starters anymore, but until we have someone on the roster who is better why get rid of them? We have too many needs already and don't need to create depth problems at safety and running back.

That's a good point. It would be just like the Bills to do that, then use picks to replace them just to save a few bucks when they are already $50M under the cap. Jason Peters issue aside, they didn't have to cut Dockery and Walker. They did it to save money when they weren't in any imminent cap danger. Those guys were disappointments, but most of their failings were in the run game. They still could have drafted Wood and Levitre. Wouldn't have broken any laws to have some competition, continuity or depth.

Either way, if I'm GM I would not cut him. He's good enough to keep and then let the coach decide who starts. You do need backups, you know.

Agreed. With a roster that is so talent depleted, why in the hell would you cut a guy who is one of your top 10 players. The problem with Lynch is that he's a rythm guy. Last year was a perfect example, he got the ball a ton down the stretch and played very well. I wish he didn't drop every other ball thrown his way though. Trade him for nothing less than a 2nd or a 1st round trade up piece, otherwise he is a great backup.

Whitner's selection was a major error. The Bills desperately needed a DT and both Haloti Ngata and Broderick

Bunkley were sitting there when their pick came. Instead, the Bills reached for the 2nd rated SS in the draft after the

Raiders took the top SS candidate (michael Huff) a pick or two earlier.

Now, I won't say that Whitner was a major major reach, but the Bills had no business picking a safety when the

two top DTs (THE position of need for them) were sitting on the board. What do you suppose the Bills would need

to package with Whitner to get Ngata now? (I'd venture to say a 1st and Whitner might get us Ngata).

Too bad, blown opportunity.

At the time I was pulling for selecting Ngata but supported the Whitner pick. I understand he is one of the most bashed players on this site, mostly because no one wanted to see us draft a safety in the first place. Sometimes the bashing seems to be unfair to me.

This year it has been very clear that backups such as Bryd at FS and Wilson at SS are more effective, make more big plays, and will be starting next year. Whitner will have a role on this team due to his versatility. Time to forget his draft position and move forward. He is still a good player, unfortunately he is not an impact player and not a pro bowler.

Hopefully Buddy Nix can make some better choices.

That's a good point. It would be just like the Bills to do that, then use picks to replace them just to save a few bucks when they are already $50M under the cap. Jason Peters issue aside, they didn't have to cut Dockery and Walker. They did it to save money when they weren't in any imminent cap danger. Those guys were disappointments, but most of their failings were in the run game. They still could have drafted Wood and Levitre. Wouldn't have broken any laws to have some competition, continuity or depth.

Buffalo has depth at S, and RB depth isn't hard to acquire, now that they have a feature back. Why would Wilson/Brandon/Littman want to pay big dollars to backups? They certainly haven't demonstrated a track record of it, why would they begin now? Especially considering there is no cap, which doesn't require them to spend above the floor.

Walker and Dockery were slugs collecting a paycheck. What particularly stings is the DW and ML were 2 of Marv's 3 first rounders. Even debating their departure means something went very wrong in their careers.