I've gotta be missing something here. I mean, I'm stupid,

Lv-Bills

Someone explain to me why the New England Patriots and the Cincinnati Bengals will be resting starters tomorrow. I don't get it. Both teams are 10-5. And both will rest starters. So, I guess no one wants the #3 seed instead of #4.

If I'm in the Bengals shoes, and the Pats tank their game against Houston, I'm playing to win Sunday Night. It gives them the better chance to host the AFC Championship should it come down to them vs. the Pats right?

And that isnt' really far fetched. If the Bengals and Pats win the "wild card weekend" games, both will then be going to Indy and to SD. Both Cincy and NE had both of those teams on the ropes once this year, but barely didn't get it done.

Even at that, wouldn't you at least want the highest seed possible JUST IN CASE you have a chance to eventually host the AFC Championship game?

If the Bengals and Pats somehow both get through, and the Pats end up hosting, the Bengals will kick themselves in the ass for not trying to beat the Jets in the finale. Works the other way with the Pats too.

Someone explain to me why the New England Patriots and the Cincinnati Bengals will be resting starters tomorrow. I don't get it. Both teams are 10-5. And both will rest starters. So, I guess no one wants the #3 seed instead of #4.

If I'm in the Bengals shoes, and the Pats tank their game against Houston, I'm playing to win Sunday Night. It gives them the better chance to host the AFC Championship should it come down to them vs. the Pats right?

And that isnt' really far fetched. If the Bengals and Pats win the "wild card weekend" games, both will then be going to Indy and to SD. Both Cincy and NE had both of those teams on the ropes once this year, but barely didn't get it done.

Even at that, wouldn't you at least want the highest seed possible JUST IN CASE you have a chance to eventually host the AFC Championship game?

If the Bengals and Pats somehow both get through, and the Pats end up hosting, the Bengals will kick themselves in the ass for not trying to beat the Jets in the finale. Works the other way with the Pats too.

Bench depth. Once you are in the playoffs, you have to meet other good teams regardless. Meeting them with your best players healthy is better.

Thats the theory.

Your points are well taken though and relevant.

Bench depth. Once you are in the playoffs, you have to meet other good teams regardless. Meeting them with your best players healthy is better.

Thats the theory.

Your points are well taken though and relevant.

I'd much rather have that home game in my stadium though. I just think it's totally gutless on NE's and Cincy's part. Until very recently, teams always have fought to get the highest seed possible, when there is still a tie to be broken.

I'd much rather have that home game in my stadium though. I just think it's totally gutless on NE's and Cincy's part. Until very recently, teams always have fought to get the highest seed possible, when there is still a tie to be broken.

I actually agree 100% with you on that, getting the home field advantage is key.

But home field with Jim Sorgi vs. away with Peyton.....

both viewpoints have their pros and cons.

I'm wondering if the Bengals will change their tune if the notice the Patriots lose earlier in the day to the Texans. They can then maybe try to move up a spot. Who knows. I just can't believe both would blow this off like this. Most likely won't matter, but could end up huge in the end.

I'm wondering if the Bengals will change their tune if the notice the Patriots lose earlier in the day to the Texans. They can then maybe try to move up a spot. Who knows. I just can't believe both would blow this off like this. Most likely won't matter, but could end up huge in the end.

Carson Palmer's late season ACL injury a few years ago completely ruined what was a very good chance for the Bengals a few years ago.

I would think that looms large in their thinking here.

I doubt a conspiracy to box out the Steelers considering the Chiefs and Raiders beat them and all the Ravens have to do is win and they're out.

Home field advantage doesn't seem to matter so much anymore. Look at our team. We have the loudest, most devoted fans in the league and we couldn't even go .500 at home. It seems the better team wins in any location.

Carson Palmer's late season ACL injury a few years ago completely ruined what was a very good chance for the Bengals a few years ago.

he injured his ACL in the playoffs against the Steelers.

That wasn't late season. It was postseason.

And, I agree with the OP. Look at the Cardinals last year. They got to host the NFC Championship with this same exact scenario.

Maybe they would rather play Indy than S.D., The Bengals will play on Saturday of wild card weekend so rest for a short week when they could potentially play the Jets again, The Patriettes need some rest too for Tommy boy and the D line, Granted I would want to play the Championship Game at home but do you really think it will come to that? The Pats play at home next weekend and then go across country to play S.D. then if they win they go to Indy. They are going to need all the rest they can get. Two games with the Jets is going to wear the Bengals out to say the least on their way to Indy and beyond. Your just in case scenario is a long shot and in today's N.F.L. you have to play the percentages

They should held him out of that first round playoff game

Not my meaning at all; what I mean is they are justified in holding him out of a game now, when they have already qualified for the playoffs.

I don't even agree, I just do see their POV.

Not my meaning at all; what I mean is they are justified in holding him out of a game now, when they have already qualified for the playoffs.

I don't even agree, I just do see their POV.

What point of view? I'm pretty sure Cincy is playing for home field advantage. This story that they're not is ridiculous.

I wouldn't be surprised if both teams rest their starters. How many times in NFL history has the #3 and #4 seeds met in the conference championship game anyway? Probably zero (feel free to correct my guess, though, I didn't check). Yet that's the only scenario where playing this week would really matter.

The NFL is a violent game and most players would prefer the rest given such low stakes.

I agree 100%, but then again I'd be playing for the perfect season if I was the Colts too. To paraphrase John Madden, if there's a game to play then there's one way to play it: to win.