so it begins.. Ron Rivera

Sure did, running Tampa 2... Keep Fewell as DC, keep the scheme, maintain continuity, and save a whole lot of $. :devil:

Rivera's also currently running the 3-4, played in the 46, and coached with Jim Johnson in Philly, so what makes you think he'd keep the T2?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the stats, it looks like the Chargers defense is not much better then the current Bills defense,how does this qualify this guy to be a head coach?

Because defense wins championships! I liked a lot of what Buddy said at his PC, but that is little more than a cliche nowadays.

The rules(and the enforcement of unwritten interpretations of the rules like pass inteference and face mask penalties, etc..) are, and will continue to be, in favor of offense. And if you don't have the ability to take advantage of it, you will not be winning a championship anytime soon.

The Chargers, Colts, Pats....these teams don't play great defense. There is a good chance it will be Chargers or Colts versus defensively disadvantaged Saints in the SB and it will probably come down to who has the ball with 2 minutes left(just like last year, incidentally).

I'm not against defense, but it's clear which way the league wants to play the game.

I'd say Ron Rivera would be an excellent candidate

need a great OC though if we go defensive head coach

Just combining some of the thoughts from this post:

What about Rivera as HC, Weiss as OC and keep Fewell and April at DC and STC respectively ?

That might not be bad.

While the defense has not been exciting, they have played well and kept the Bills in most games. A total revamp is probably not needed. Just need some better players and more aggressiveness. The O would presumably be much better with Weiss and his HC experience at the college level would probably be a good added benedit that Rivera could lean on. I think I would be happy if the Bills could pulls this off.

The Rivera rumor is more underwhelming speculation surrounding OBD. I believe that Nix slightly improves this franchise and the coaching hire will a major determining factor of this team's future. The bar is set very high in our division and this is the time to go big or go home. To me there is only one guy out there that would inspire true confidence of nearly immediate and most likely long term success and that is Cowher. Anything less means more of the same.

The Rivera rumor is more underwhelming speculation surrounding OBD. I believe that Nix slightly improves this franchise and the coaching hire will a major determining factor of this team's future. The bar is set very high in our division and this is the time to go big or go home. To me there is only one guy out there that would inspire true confidence of nearly immediate and most likely long term success and that is Cowher. Anything less means more of the same.

Billick might also work, but I think it's The Chin.

But I think that all of the other names that are being thrown around just won't cut it in terms of assuring victory in our division.

Because Cowher has had so much success against Belichik?

Rivera's also currently running the 3-4, played in the 46, and coached with Jim Johnson in Philly, so what makes you think he'd keep the T2?
Rule #1 when looking at any potential Bills move:

First assume the worst. :devil:

Yeah.... I would like to have either Fewell or Rivera as the Head Coach. Cowher will never come to B-Lo and everyone else on the list wont help. We need a young Coach. Hopefully who ever they select as HC, they keep Fewell as DC.

Who is a better available candidate than Cowher?

Every single person on planet Earth. And I mean that literally.

Because when you give that clown 10 million/year, you won't be able to fire him when it finally becomes obvious to the rest of you how bad he really is.

Just brought it up because bringing River in would probably allow them to keep Fewell at DC, regardless of what D they wanted to run.

Every single person on planet Earth. And I mean that literally.

Because when you give that clown 10 million/year, you won't be able to fire him when it finally becomes obvious to the rest of you how bad he really is.

Maybe so... but I would still take Cowher over friggin' Ron Rivera. :devil:

Rule #1 when looking at any potential Bills move:

First assume the worst. :thumbdown:

Valid point.

Hmmmmm...

Definately hope we can the T2. :devil:

I know Sal M's been beating that drum for a long time (along with many here), and tying it to the injury situation -- 250-lb DEs and 220-lb LBs just don't hold up against the behemoths on most OLs these days. Hard to argue against that point.

In fact, I just pulled some IR numbers in response to a question posted on Tim's Facebook page. (Another one gone today, 21 for the season.) During 2002-03, Rusty Jones' final two years here, the Bills placed six players on IR each season. What percentage of that was his influence, and how much was the different defensive scheme (in particular, sturdier LBs like Fletcher and Spikes)?

I wonder ...