Some things I have liked about Nix so far..

DarthICE

I also think Nix kinda let the cat out of the bag so to speak. He seemed to indicate whomever they bring in first to interview is their first choice. Now I may have mis understood but he said something like 'if a guy is 5th on your list then he is 5th'. And he did say the interview process can end before they finish the list.

This point is probably deserving of its own thread. I almost started one earlier but I hate to add to the noise here during busy times. Usually better to hop on an existing thread.

Nix, in his interview with CB was very explicit about the process. He said it could be over with very quickly or not. He said that they have a prioritized (ranked) list of candidates. He said that they would interview 2 and at most 3, candidates.

The meaning of this is pretty clear. If we go weeks without making a head coaching hire, then the Bills have been digging deep into their list. This might mean they've been turned down by several of their targeted coaches.

Nix's first major task is very formidable and if nothing else it will give us a sense of how much legitimacy and confidence outsiders feel the organization now has.

Keep in mind though that even if the coaching search ends up taking a long time, it doesn't mean the person eventually hired will do a bad job. It only means that they didn't get the guys at the top of their list and that by implication, outsiders still don't view Buffalo as a good career move.

Should be interesting to see how much legitimacy this organization has gained by hiring Buddy Nix as GM.

This point is probably deserving of its own thread. I almost started one earlier but I hate to add to the noise here during busy times. Usually better to hop on an existing thread.

Nix, in his interview with CB was very explicit about the process. He said it could be over with very quickly or not. He said that they have a prioritized (ranked) list of candidates. He said that they would interview 2 and at most 3, candidates.

The meaning of this is pretty clear. If we go weeks without making a head coaching hire, then the Bills have been digging deep into their list. This might mean they've been turned down by several of their targeted coaches.

Nix's first major task is very formidable and if nothing else it will give us a sense of how much legitimacy and confidence outsiders feel the organization now has.

Keep in mind though that even if the coaching search ends up taking a long time, it doesn't mean the person eventually hired will do a bad job. It only means that they didn't get the guys at the top of their list and that by implication, outsiders still don't view Buffalo as a good career move.

Should be interesting to see how much legitimacy this organization has gained by hiring Buddy Nix as GM.

I know a lot of people are holding out hope for Cowher.....but i am not. He is at the top of my list but I also think there are several coaches if given support by the right FRONT OFFICE that would still do a fine job. I think they might have taken care of step one as I am a fan of Buddy Nix. He bleeds football not the bottom dollar.

I know a lot of people are holding out hope for Cowher.....but i am not. He is at the top of my list but I also think there are several coaches if given support by the right FRONT OFFICE that would still do a fine job. I think they might have taken care of step one as I am a fan of Buddy Nix. He bleeds football not the bottom dollar.

Nix is definitely respected as a talent evaluator. But do you think he'll bring legitimacy to the organization? Will his hiring inspire confidence in potential head coaches that the organization is moving in the right direction?

These are the things that I wonder. We'll see soon enough I guess.

In his CB interview he singled out QB and how important a strong arm was to cut through the winds. Well that cuts out anyone on this roster.

He addressed the fact that the way the Colts are built isn't the way we should be built. THANK GOD! Enough of this smallish BS. I loved how he smiled when he said something to the effect of how they were built in SD was able to beat the Colts 'speed team'. :-)

Alright I admit it, I was wrong to have a knee jerk reaction to the Nix hiring and I should give him a fair shot. I have to admit Ralph has me so jaded in anything he does that it is hard not to knee jerk at most of the things Ralph pulls. So I appoligize for running off at the mouth last night.

That said, Who he hires as a HC and even more important...how he handles the QB situation will tell us everything about him we need to know. Not one of our QB's is starting talent in the NFL nor do they have the arm needed for our stadium. It will be an interesting few months coming up. I hope this guy is the one to finally get it right.

Happy New year all

I'm taking a wait and see approach. However, I liked that he mentioned building a team through the draft and holding onto the better players by extending their contracts.

Actually, I think he said they'd look at a list of candidates and narrow it down to 2 or 3 guys and bring them to Ralph. So, the list would appear to be longer than 3 guys.

However, your other point seems like a dead on accurate assessment. The longer they go without naming a HC, the deeper on the list they're going. Should be interesting to watch it develop.

I'm not sure how much legitimacy he'll bring in comparison to a name guy like Holmgren. But, I haven't heard/read one negative word about him in regards to his football knowledge or capabilities in evaluating players. The legitimacy could certainly be a nonissue if a guy like Cowher is hired as the HC, though.

If you listen to the PC, they clearly tried to temper all the talk of a big name HC by saying sometimes you get a guy like Sean Peyton. So, although they may be going after Cowher bigtime, it doesn't seem like a done deal to me at all.

In his CB interview he singled out QB and how important a strong arm was to cut through the winds. Well that cuts out anyone on this roster.

He addressed the fact that the way the Colts are built isn't the way we should be built. THANK GOD! Enough of this smallish BS. I loved how he smiled when he said something to the effect of how they were built in SD was able to beat the Colts 'speed team'. :-)

Alright I admit it, I was wrong to have a knee jerk reaction to the Nix hiring and I should give him a fair shot. I have to admit Ralph has me so jaded in anything he does that it is hard not to knee jerk at most of the things Ralph pulls. So I appoligize for running off at the mouth last night.

That said, Who he hires as a HC and even more important...how he handles the QB situation will tell us everything about him we need to know. Not one of our QB's is starting talent in the NFL nor do they have the arm needed for our stadium. It will be an interesting few months coming up. I hope this guy is the one to finally get it right.

Happy New year all

Bipolar.... :(

The Nix hire was done in order to be able to pursue Cowher this weekend with the GM question answered. If it doesn't happen by Tuesday it's not happening. But if it doesn't happen it will not be because the lowballed Cowher. In fact they are likely making a record-setting offer. The uncertainty of life after Ralph seems to be the sticking point.

PTR

The Nix hire was done in order to be able to pursue Cowher this weekend with the GM question answered. If it doesn't happen by Tuesday it's not happening. But if it doesn't happen it will not be because the lowballed Cowher. In fact they are likely making a record-setting offer. The uncertainty of life after Ralph seems to be the sticking point.

PTR

I have no doubt they're willing to make a record-setting offer. But are they also ready to offer record-setting offers to hire the calibre of assistants that Cowher would want to bring in?

Happy New year all

Just want to point out, ICE, that Brohm had the 2nd strongest arm in the 2008 Combine. If he doesn't have enough arm for Ralph Wilson Stadium, well hell, I guess we'll never find an adequate QB, huh? :(

I have no doubt they're willing to make a record-setting offer. But are they also ready to offer record-setting offers to hire the calibre of assistants that Cowher would want to bring in?

Why wouldn't they? Seriously? First of all hiring Cowher means hiring who he wants as assistants. He's not going to take the job without that guarantee. Trust me, Ralph has shot the lock off the wall safe. But money alone will not cinch the deal. Cowher has to feel comfortable with what happens after Ralph passes.

PTR

Why wouldn't they? Seriously? First of all hiring Cowher means hiring who he wants as assistants. He's not going to take the job without that guarantee. Trust me, Ralph has shot the lock off the wall safe. But money alone will not cinch the deal. Cowher has to feel comfortable with what happens after Ralph passes.

PTR

I'd agree. The long term stability of the franchise has to be resolved, even if its not disclosed publicly. IMO, the biggest drwaback to the Bills job is waht happens if Ralph passes in a year or 2 with no succession plan? I would think a guy like Cowher or Shanny would take that into serious consideration. That's what made the Sal report so interesting. He suggested they had that plan laid out and the future of the Bills in Buffal was secure.

PTR

Lets hope this is the case

Nix is definitely respected as a talent evaluator. But do you think he'll bring legitimacy to the organization? Will his hiring inspire confidence in potential head coaches that the organization is moving in the right direction?

These are the things that I wonder. We'll see soon enough I guess.

A quality NFL coach making a decision that will significantly impact the rest of his career might just be a little more skeptical of the smoke and mirrors being employed (again) by the Bills than most overly optimistic Bills fans.

Slapping some new titles on the existing clown show may not be enough sway a potential HC with half a brain.

I must admit I was really angry when they made Nix the GM. Its kind of grown on me a bit and I'm willing to give the guy a chance. Who he hires as HC is ultra important. That said, I don't necessarily like the idea of Rivera. I'd really like to see them bring in Russ Grimm.....Hopefully he does well and gives us hope for the future....

I must admit I was really angry when they made Nix the GM. Its kind of grown on me a bit and I'm willing to give the guy a chance. Who he hires as HC is ultra important. That said, I don't necessarily like the idea of Rivera. I'd really like to see them bring in Russ Grimm.....Hopefully he does well and gives us hope for the future....

Agreed. How he handles the HC and QB situation will tell us about everything we need to know

PTR

well if Promo says Ralph is now a big spender, then its a done deal.

the history is compelling.

Ralph comes out and says a total revamp will be forthcoming

and he does not disappoint with the big bucks for a new GM and complete overhaul of the front office after conducting a comprehensive search

How can he not spend big bucks on a new HC and entire staff - in his 50 years of ownership, when has he not made the coaching a top priority and spent the big bucks to back it up

Thanks Promo for your assurances :devil:

well if Promo says Ralph is now a big spender, then its a done deal.

the history is compelling.

Ralph comes out and says a total revamp will be forthcoming

and he does not disappoint with the big bucks for a new GM and complete overhaul of the front office after conducting a comprehensive search

How can he not spend big bucks on a new HC and entire staff - in his 50 years of ownership, when has he not made the coaching a top priority and spent the big bucks to back it up

Thanks Promo for your assurances :devil:

well ralph only has one more shot at this so he better get it right