It Sounds Like Nix MIGHT Think The QB Of Future

No matter what, I believe the Bills should draft a QB in first or second AND pick up a veteran in FA. Let all these guys compete for the job in the off season and hopefully one of them pans out. Maybe Brohm or Edwards could be coached up - who knows. Only the strong will survive next year so that is a great thing. Nix has already let more fresh air into this organization in one day than the last 10 years combined.

Looking at the draft purely at arm strength--the one thing Nix mentioned--I'm crossing off Tebow, and elevating Mallett (if he comes out), Clausen, Pike, Colt McCoy, and Perriloux. Bradford, Canfield, and LeFevour stay in my questionable pile.

Looking at the draft purely at arm strength--the one thing Nix mentioned--I'm crossing off Tebow, and elevating Mallett (if he comes out), Clausen, Pike, Colt McCoy, and Perriloux. Bradford, Canfield, and LeFevour stay in my questionable pile.

Perriloux? He's going to be the second coming of Lawrence Phillips, man! lol

Pike has an arm but hasn't exactly had a clean bill of health in college. I don't think McCoy has a strong arm.

Clausen is probably the best package of arm strength, health, pro-style coaching, and starting experience. Not that I'm 100% sold on him since he IS a Clausen but the Bills will be drafting out of range for him anyway.

Well, we all know it can't be Checkdown. Fitz, or Chroise then, cuz we know they ain't got arms. So, he must think it's Brohm.

Keep looking Buddy.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Nix is probably the reason that Brohm is in Buffalo. I really don't think that Brandon was sitting around, and came up with the idea on his own. They may have even asked Nix who he thought was a diamond in the rough.

Now, you are telling Nix to keep looking based on your professional, can't-miss assessment of him in Atlanta in the AVP-CF-Gun offense we run.... Nix has been touted as one of he elite talent evaluators in the NFL, and has a resume to back that up. If Nix thinks Brohm is the guy, I am going to go with him. It would be nice to have a big name, but the FA world is much more realistic, as we need the draft picks to start filling holes, not getting a QB, when Nix, essentially, already did that.

I like the Nix hire, and I like the Brohm idea. He showed some good things last week in the Atlanta pounding. He threw the ball well, showed excellent arm-strength, and I think he settled down and played a lot better as the game went on. I think if Fewell would stop be a little Dick, he would have let the kid take a few chances down field. But Fewell is going to air on the side of caution, all the way to the unemployment line.

I think this is exciting stuff, and I am excited to be a Bills fan. I know that that could come back and blow up in my face, as it has for the last decade, but f%&k it, who else would root for?

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Nix is probably the reason that Brohm is in Buffalo. I really don't think that Brandon was sitting around, and came up with the idea on his own. They may have even asked Nix who he thought was a diamond in the rough.

This is an interesting point. I like what you're thinking here.

Now, you are telling Nix to keep looking based on your professional, can't-miss assessment of him in Atlanta in the AVP-CF-Gun offense we run.... Nix has been touted as one of he elite talent evaluators in the NFL, and has a resume to back that up. If Nix thinks Brohm is the guy, I am going to go with him. It would be nice to have a big name, but the FA world is much more realistic, as we need the draft picks to start filling holes, not getting a QB, when Nix, essentially, already did that.

I like the Nix hire, and I like the Brohm idea. He showed some good things last week in the Atlanta pounding. He threw the ball well, showed excellent arm-strength, and I think he settled down and played a lot better as the game went on. I think if Fewell would stop be a little Dick, he would have let the kid take a few chances down field. But Fewell is going to air on the side of caution, all the way to the unemployment line.

I think this is exciting stuff, and I am excited to be a Bills fan. I know that that could come back and blow up in my face, as it has for the last decade, but f%&k it, who else would root for?

This is an interesting point. I like what you're thinking here.

Agreed. Interesting...but I also hope they have a backup plan.

Have not posted in a few years but am a long time Bills fan in MD.... Dumb question. Since Kelly is the who we compare each new QB against how was Kelly's arm strength out of college? I need to go back and watch some old K gun games but was Kelly known as a big arm QB? I thought of him more as a fearless leader who made things happen and found the open man.

Have not posted in a few years but am a long time Bills fan in MD.... Dumb question. Since Kelly is the who we compare each new QB against how was Kelly's arm strength out of college? I need to go back and watch some old K gun games but was Kelly known as a big arm QB? I thought of him more as a fearless leader who made things happen and found the open man.

He was definitely known as a big arm man. During his USFL years, Phil Simms spoke to the Dunlop Pro-Am dinner and specifically said that Kelly was a 'stud' whose arm strength made him ideal for Orchard Park.

I wonder if Nix has a say about who plays QB this Sunday. Fewell would likely play Fitzpatrick since he's thinking short term (wins) but Nix is in this for the long haul. I would think he would want to play Brohm. The only reason he might not is the current condition of our OL. You can really hurt a young QB's confidence when they're running for their life all game.

Kelly was known to have a strong arm however Elway was the QB in the 83 class that had the reputation of having the rocket arm.

Kelly had no problem throwing the ball in bad weather. He was known for his toughness more so than Elway and Marino.

Marino was the pure thrower of the bunch.

Not if you listen to his PC and believe what he said. It sounded like the whole notion of him even being GM was something that came about recently and even took him some time to warm up to. So, it doesn't sound like they were asking him about roster moves 6-7 weeks ago. Maybe, but not from the way his press conference sounded.

With that said, I still find the Brohm acquisition intriguing. In a wasted season, with a HC just fired and a promise to clean house, they go and bring in a guy off another team's practice squad just to sit on the bench as a 3rd QB. Just crazy man.

If Nix thinks the QB is on the roster now it can only be Brohm. Edwards is off the team next season (And I was a fan of his going into the season) he is just too injury prone and didn't have the ability to work the 15-25 yard range even when given time. Fitz is a nice backup if you need him for a 1-4 game stretch he can hold your team afloat BUT if you put him in for a longer stretch then that then you expose him and he shows you why he is a backup.

Brohm is really the only guy who you can conceive as having the potential to develop into the starting QB. Brohm is still unproven and was a 2nd round draft choice (Who didn't get a chance to play on his previous team) who had a ton of potential coming out of a cold weather college. Now does he need polish and a better situation? Yes but I think that out of the 3 guys on the roster Brohm is the one with the most to offer.

So while I would keep Fitz as a backup (Its not easy to find a quality backup QB), keep Brohm as the 3rd stringer. and bring in a vet like Chad Pennington to hold down the fort for one season while you draft a top flight LT to get the O-line in order. I think that The Bills need to spend their 1st pick on the O-line and the second helping out the front 7. Drafting a QB in rounds 1-3 might not be the best idea because if you draft one in rounds 2 or 3 you might be just drafting a QB just to draft a QB. And if you draft one in round 1 you might be leaving gaping holes in the O-line.