One sign to tell if Nix is going to improve the Bills

gjv001

Pehaps the bills haven't had the worst performance in the last 10 drafts and free agency. But it is safe to say that they have failed miserably in their attempt to evaluate players. Any compentent GM, that has a strong desire to succeed, would realize that 10 years of failure in this area is not acceptable. A good sign for Bills fans will be Nix making personnel changes in those key departments. If he doesn't then, I'm inclined to agree with many who say "same old, same old sorry Bills".

Pehaps the bills haven't had the worst performance in the last 10 drafts and free agency. But it is safe to say that they have failed miserably in their attempt to evaluate players. Any compentent GM, that has a strong desire to succeed, would realize that 10 years of failure in this area is not acceptable. A good sign for Bills fans will be Nix making personnel changes in those key departments. If he doesn't then, I'm inclined to agree with many who say "same old, same old sorry Bills".

Absolutely.

There was a post here yesterday that he liked Modrak and thought that the last 2 Bills drafts were particularly strong (why he waited 9 years to have 2 good drafts I am not sure), but that he did not like the free agents brought in and thus John Guy will most likely be gone.

I am ok with that.

I have probably been one of the biggest proponents of losing Modrak and Guy, as I saw them as the key builders of our mediocrity. But now that we have a real football guy with experience building winning teams (Buffalo and San Diego), then I feel confident that the right decision will be made regarding both Modrak's and Guy's futures.

Personally, I'd give Modrak 1 more season to prove himself, but I'd kick Guy out of town with a steel-toed boot.

It is impossible for us to know the dynamics inside the war room - to know who really calls the shots. Thus, if Nix keeps Modrak and Guy I'm not sure you can say with certainty that we have a status quo guy.

One thing about Ralph, he is not lacking any confidence and at the end of the day this franchise is still HIS big-boy-toy. So who really knows how much Ralph micromanages player personnel decisions? I fear he does, quite a bit.

Absolutely.

There was a post here yesterday that he liked Modrak and thought that the last 2 Bills drafts were particularly strong (why he waited 9 years to have 2 good drafts I am not sure), but that he did not like the free agents brought in and thus John Guy will most likely be gone.

I am ok with that.

I have probably been one of the biggest proponents of losing Modrak and Guy, as I saw them as the key builders of our mediocrity. But now that we have a real football guy with experience building winning teams (Buffalo and San Diego), then I feel confident that the right decision will be made regarding both Modrak's and Guy's futures.

Personally, I'd give Modrak 1 more season to prove himself, but I'd kick Guy out of town with a steel-toed boot.

Hard to know how meddlesome Ralph is in that process. There are whispers that Modrak wanted Ngata and Revis but got overruled. Guy has to go though. He's the free agent evaluator and he's been a failure.

PTR

I agree. I'm reluctant to blame Modrak, simply because I'm almost certain that he does not have the final say on draft picks, particularly first day picks. Its quite possible that he and the scouting staff are doing a good job, but they can only suggest players to draft. It doesn't mean that Ralph Wilson, Russ Brandon, Marv Levy and Dick Jauron actually listened to them. Considering how much influence that Dick Jauron, in particular, had on personnel matters as the senior 'football man' on the staff over the last two years, I highly suspect that he was a major part of the problem, anyway.

The pro player department is another story. While you can point to some pretty good 2nd day drafting as evidence that Modrak and the scouts are doing their jobs well, the pro player acquisitions have left an awful lot to be desired for several years now. That group almost certainly needs a major housecleaning.

The most common response to those questioning the Nix hiring is "he drafted 12 (or "28") Pro Bowlers in SD".

Didn't our last 70 year old GM draft a bunch of Pro Bowlers (and a couple of current/future HOF ers)?

How did that work out?

Scouting or drafting well does not equate to being a good GM.

Guy and Modrak were experienced football guys when they came. They haven't built a playoff team. Nix has had a year to see how these guys operate. I trust he will know how to move forward with or with out these guys, maybe have his own people to help these guys out if he doesn't remove them.

I see Modrak is getting credit for good later round picks but why are we not doing so good on the 1st round picks.

Is it time for a change or maybe they just need better direction because I can still smell the Levy influence here.

I liked what he said about a team has to be built for the environment they play in. Thats the biggest pronblem we have now.

The most common response to those questioning the Nix hiring is "he drafted 12 (or "28") Pro Bowlers in SD".

Didn't our last 70 year old GM draft a bunch of Pro Bowlers (and a couple of current/future HOF ers)?

How did that work out?

Scouting or drafting well does not equate to being a good GM.

Who are you talking about? :censored:

Pehaps the bills haven't had the worst performance in the last 10 drafts and free agency. But it is safe to say that they have failed miserably in their attempt to evaluate players.

I think the bigger failure has been their inability to evaluate head coaches.

I see Modrak is getting credit for good later round picks but why are we not doing so good on the 1st round picks.

That's an easy one. Look at who else has been in the draft 'war room': Ralph Wilson, Dick Jauron, Russ Brandon, and for a time, Marv Levy, among others. Those guys don't spend all year evaluating college players as Modrak's staff does, and for that reason, they're going to be far less familiar with the late round guys than the top prospects. As a result, they rely on Modrak more heavily for the later round guys than the early picks. Consider also that Modrak never had the final say on any draft pick and that all of those mentioned earlier had more influence than he did, and you can see a potential problem. Its entirely possible that some of Modrak's early round picks were being overruled. I have no proof of that, but I suspect its the case...and that its probably why he keeps his job year after year in spite of the high round misses.

Im still shaking my head seeing Orakpo play for the skins KNOWING he could have been ours. Instead I see a DE that looks like the same size as Roscoe Parrish play DE. Maybin looks terrible in a Bills uniform, plays terrible in a Bills uniform. We missed big time on that pick.