Schopp just admits that it's personal with the Bills

PromoTheRobot

you confuse the issue

speaking to Murph at the press conf is not exactly giving him the chance for a scoop

who leaked the Nix hearing BEFORE the press conf?

it sure wasn;t the local guys

Actually, WIVB did have it at least an hour before the press conference. So did the local papers, but without having it on record, they weren't allowed to run it. Such is the difference between broadcast and print media these days.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most comments that I see on TBD rip Sullivan, rip Schopp and have good things to say about Howard Simon. Is there anyone really worth a damn in the Buffalo media besides Howard Simon? I don't live there so I'm not treated to the media circus.

out of the 3 simon is by far the most boring (although he's shown more life lately- maybe he's starting to realize he puts people to sleep). the rule in buffalo apparently is PLAY NICE!

Hey, as a former journalist, I want to say you guys are missing something here with WGR access to the Bills. Paul Hamilton has access like any other REPORTER. He has press credential and access to players and press conferences/releases. Schopp's issue is that he's a talking head, entertainer and loudmouth and he's sad that the Bills, rightly so, have chosen to ignore that station and the talk show hosts who try to pass off as journalists.

So really, WGR serves two purposes but Schopp has them confused. Purpose one is to REPORT the sports news, which they do very well and have no access issues and no problems (although I think they feel they should have every member of the organization's personal phone number and unfettered access to everyone, WRONG). The second purpose, self-chosen on their part, is to try to analyze and act as though they know everything and get people to tune in, ie the entertainment business. It's that end of their business they suck at (I recall turning my car on last week to some stupid Xmas draft, so that by itself kills any credibility Schopp and his show may have ever had).

So stop listening to them. I know, they're the only sports radio station right? That's not an excuse to listen to someone with an obvious ax to grind. Tune out.

I would love to tune out and I usually do. But on days like today I crave to hear some intelligent discussion on the Bills. Brad Riter ended his show at 4pm. So that leaves Schopp. At least he's not hammering the Bills for promoting from within. He's even giving Nix credit for his resume. I live near Boston and WEEI is a tremendous sports talk station. Now there's another one, the Sports Hub 98.5. It's depressing to me that I can't find good Buffalo sports talk...in Buffalo.

PTR

Could not believe that Schopp ADMITTED to a caller that the reason they put the hate on the Bills is because they are not media-friendly. I knew he was immature, but that is hard to believe. I mean, swallow your pride and do your job.

On the other hand, Schoop and GR are such hockey-loving boys that I doubt if any approach by the Bills would change them. They took away their radio broadcast rights and GR switched to the Sabres. In business and youth, it's all about getting back.

Heard Schopp call the Bills an "antique" organization, but wanted Marty S as head coach. Now, that's true intelligence.

Despite what Mike's degree says, in his current role, he's not a journalist (which would imply remaining objective). He's a sports radio talk-show host, paid to express his opinions and get his listeners to interact with him on the air.

Think I've made it clear over the years that I'm not a fan of his, but to fall back on a cliche, "it is what it is."

Agree that Mike Schopp is a sports radio talk show host and therefore does not have to remain objective. However, he does come across as condescending and a jerk at times towards callers. He should listen to Howard Simon and learn how he may disagree with a caller yet do it in a more diplomatic way.

Schopp was just doing a monologue on the Nix hiring and admitted that much of the anger WGR shows toward the Bills is personal. Something to do with the Bills not returning phone calls and such. He also went on to say that it's very important for the Bills to have a good relationship with the press because it would lead to better treatment.

This may be common sense but it strikes me as rather petty and cheapens what WGR is all about. Basically Schopp is saying suck up to us and we'll be nice. Cross us and we'll hammer you. I always thought, as sports journalists, their job is to report the sports news, not inject their bruised egos into what they do.

PTR

wgr is a half assed attempt at a sports station. they should let ESPN come in and run the show and expand to cover all WNY sports - including big 4 college basketball, UB football, NU hockey as well as the Sabres. instead they are a two bit run operation that doesnt have enough pro stories to keep busy with...

Schopp was just doing a monologue on the Nix hiring and admitted that much of the anger WGR shows toward the Bills is personal. Something to do with the Bills not returning phone calls and such. He also went on to say that it's very important for the Bills to have a good relationship with the press because it would lead to better treatment.

This may be common sense but it strikes me as rather petty and cheapens what WGR is all about. Basically Schopp is saying suck up to us and we'll be nice. Cross us and we'll hammer you. I always thought, as sports journalists, their job is to report the sports news, not inject their bruised egos into what they do.

PTR

Schopp is just a total tool that probably thinks the Bills should not only be calling him every day to update them about whats going on, but should also kiss his butt...

what a jack monger

Agree that Mike Schopp is a sports radio talk show host and therefore does not have to remain objective. However, he does come across as condescending and a jerk at times towards callers. He should listen to Howard Simon and learn how he may disagree with a caller yet do it in a more diplomatic way.

I wouldn't disagree. Then again, I've been accused of those same attributes a few times myself. :flirt:

In case anyone wonders, the "isn't a journalist" line wasn't meant as an insult. Mike has actually covered the team for print, much as any beat writer would -- he wrote for Shout! magazine for a while, in fact. That detached objectivity just isn't part of his current job description. If it was, he'd put people to sleep during the afternoon rush hour, and that might not be such a good thing.

And in his role as a host, when Donahoe froze out WGR -- including Howard, who didn't even work there when the feud began -- it directly affected his job. As we all know, Donahoe's been gone for a while, and maybe it's long past time to let it drop (especially since there was plenty of blame to go around on that deal) ... but I do understand the hard feelings on both sides.

As always, just my opinion.

It's always interesting how people hear what they want to hear. Maybe they would be less negative if the Bills didn't always suck? He didn't rip the Nix hiring like a lot of people here are doing.

Schopp frequently gets under people's skin (which ultimately is at least part of his job) because he's short with people who - for whatever reason - don't come off sounding very intelligent on the radio. I listen fairly regularly, and I can't remember too many cases (if any) where an intelligent-sounding caller was treated poorly or in a condescening manner. The guys that fail with Schopp are the cliche repeaters.

I like that he has opinions and that a lot of his opinions are objectively defensible (such as by use of actual data), and often diametrically opposed to the boring, old (and frequently wrong) football cliches.

His chip-on-the-shoulder about insufficient media access from One Bills Drive isn't really all that revealing, nor particularly unique. He's far from the only media member with that complaint.

The media needs the Bills much more than they need the media. Maybe if they put thier ego's aside for 2 minutes they might be able to build a relationship over there. Schopp is a complete joke as a broadcaster. Sirius radio is a great thing.

I agree with you 100%. When Schlepp goes on the air, I tune my Sirius to NFL Radio. I also prefer listening to Cowherd than Rome.

Both ESPN and Sirius NFL Radio are much more respectful of their callers than Mike Schlepp ever has been. He's a complete buffoon.

Schopp frequently gets under people's skin (which ultimately is at least part of his job) because he's short with people who - for whatever reason - don't come off sounding very intelligent on the radio. I listen fairly regularly, and I can't remember too many cases (if any) where an intelligent-sounding caller was treated poorly or in a condescening manner. The guys that fail with Schopp are the cliche repeaters.

I like that he has opinions and that a lot of his opinions are objectively defensible (such as by use of actual data), and often diametrically opposed to the boring, old (and frequently wrong) football cliches.

His chip-on-the-shoulder about insufficient media access from One Bills Drive isn't really all that revealing, nor particularly unique. He's far from the only media member with that complaint.

True, good points. However, you'd think that the afternoon drive host in an NFL town (and NHL) would have a host who at least was interested in football and cared somewhat about the team. How many times has Schlepp complained that he's not a fan of football, but rather, tennis? He should work for Sirius ATP Radio.. oh, wait, they don't have a Tennis channel.

Despite what Mike's degree says, in his current role, he's not a journalist (which would imply remaining objective). He's a sports radio talk-show host, paid to express his opinions and get his listeners to interact with him on the air.

Think I've made it clear over the years that I'm not a fan of his, but to fall back on a cliche, "it is what it is."

:bag: