ESPN Insider

nmas3

he rumor this week has been that Bill Cowher is leaning heavily towards returning to the NFL sidelines for 2010. The only problem -- as we're beginning to see -- is that there might not be a place for him.

The Dallas Cowboys were considered an option, but they've played their way back into the playoffs (and possibly a division title if they win on Sunday). The Carolina Panthers were thought to be the favorites, but John Fox got a vote of confidence on Monday, and he'll be back. Finally, the Chicago Bears were considered a compelling choice, but after their huge win on Monday night against the Minnesota Vikings, one would suspect that Lovie Smith is safe.

So who does that leave? We think that two of the four AFC South teams -- the Houston Texans and Jacksonville Jaguars -- might make a coaching change this offseason. Gary Kubiak and Jack Del Rio haven't been awful, but a change at the top might instill some excitement that could push either team over the hump of mediocrity.

But maybe there's a another surprise contender. Here's NFC West blogger Mike Sando, from Monday afternoon:

But maybe there's a another surprise contender. Here's NFC West blogger Mike Sando, from Monday afternoon:

Mike Sando

Would the Seahawks go for Cowher?

"Firing [head coach Jim] Mora after one season would not be fair. The Seahawks shouldn't make a move unless they can find someone demonstrably better. Bill Cowher comes to mind. He would be better than just about anyone the Seahawks could hope to hire. The early speculation says Carolina and Tampa Bay are the most likely suitors for Cowher if the former Steelers coach returns to the NFL in 2010, as expected. But if the Seahawks could land Holmgren a decade ago -- and the feeling around team headquarters was surreal when it happened -- why not Cowher?"

Yea? Where's the rest? That is just wrong, man.

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch had plenty of ground to cover in his Rams chat today. Scott Linehan's job security wasn't the only issue after the team benched Marc Bulger. Asked about potential coaching candidates Dick Vermeil, Marty Schottenheimer and Bill Cowher, Thomas said he thought only Schottenheimer would take it, if offered.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch had plenty of ground to cover in his Rams chat today. Scott Linehan's job security wasn't the only issue after the team benched Marc Bulger. Asked about potential coaching candidates Dick Vermeil, Marty Schottenheimer and Bill Cowher, Thomas said he thought only Schottenheimer would take it, if offered.

You're a real riot.................. :thumbsup:

You're a real riot.................. :thumbsup:

Just posting a blurb I found from Sando. Wasn't trying to be a "cut up," Tombo. And frankly, the information you posted from the Insider article appears equally as vague. The Seahawks might get Cowher because they signed Holmgren a decade ago when nobody thought they could? As previously stated... it would seem that this Sando guy is merely making baseless conjecture.

Was this posting from a year ago -- when Linehan was actually fired?

And when's the last time someone was serious about Vermeil or Schottenheimer -- also a year ago?

ESPN Insider is speculating that a few "second-tier" candidates are possibilities: Brian Schotteheimer, Haslett, or Mike Nolan.

I actually like the Nolan idea as I think that he would bring experience, discipline, organization and consistency on defense where it has been lacking. He has done a great job with the Broncos D this year.

The two lines need to be fixed no doubt - especially offense, and the D needs real linebackers. I think that Poz has really come on in the second half, so he can be an anchor there. A Nolan 3-4 can make better use of Schobel, Maybin, Denney and Kelsey if they are still around. The secondary should continue to be solid. The Tampa2 has gotta go.

Take Bradford when the chance arises, keep Brohm and Fitz as he brings vet experience. O-line needs some top draft picks and spend the cash on a good left tackle. Peters' attitude is what killed his chances of staying so they need a guy who is a lunch pail type guy. We have that in Wood (lord willing he makes it back), Levitre, Hangartner looks a bit weak at the point of attack but may do OK at guard. Simmons might have some potential to stay. And, this feels weird to say, but I actually like Incognito. Needs to manage the anger, but one of the Bills biggest unheralded signings IMHO in the 80s was Conrad Dobler.

Peace out Bills Nation. Everything is gonna be alright.

BBF

Mike Sando

Would the Seahawks go for Cowher?

"Firing [head coach Jim] Mora after one season would not be fair. The Seahawks shouldn't make a move unless they can find someone demonstrably better. Bill Cowher comes to mind. He would be better than just about anyone the Seahawks could hope to hire. The early speculation says Carolina and Tampa Bay are the most likely suitors for Cowher if the former Steelers coach returns to the NFL in 2010, as expected. But if the Seahawks could land Holmgren a decade ago -- and the feeling around team headquarters was surreal when it happened -- why not Cowher?"

If Seattle fires Mora...he could get us to the playoffs....

I opened the door...

ESPN Insider is speculating that a few "second-tier" candidates are possibilities: Brian Schotteheimer, Haslett, or Mike Nolan.

I actually like the Nolan idea as I think that he would bring experience, discipline, organization and consistency on defense where it has been lacking. He has done a great job with the Broncos D this year.

The two lines need to be fixed no doubt - especially offense, and the D needs real linebackers. I think that Poz has really come on in the second half, so he can be an anchor there. A Nolan 3-4 can make better use of Schobel, Maybin, Denney and Kelsey if they are still around. The secondary should continue to be solid. The Tampa2 has gotta go.

Take Bradford when the chance arises, keep Brohm and Fitz as he brings vet experience. O-line needs some top draft picks and spend the cash on a good left tackle. Peters' attitude is what killed his chances of staying so they need a guy who is a lunch pail type guy. We have that in Wood (lord willing he makes it back), Levitre, Hangartner looks a bit weak at the point of attack but may do OK at guard. Simmons might have some potential to stay. And, this feels weird to say, but I actually like Incognito. Needs to manage the anger, but one of the Bills biggest unheralded signings IMHO in the 80s was Conrad Dobler.

Peace out Bills Nation. Everything is gonna be alright.

BBF

I dislike all the names..blow it up...