Troy Smith demands trade

Tortured Soul

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...-trade-request/

I know some on the board expressed interest in him in other threads.

Some thoughts:

He probably wouldn't cost more than a 3rd, as opposed to other promising young back-ups, such as Dennis Dixon or Kevin Kolb, since Baltimore already has a viable #2 QB on their roster and has publicly made himself available.

I haven't seen any of his games myself, but people have been impressed with his play.

Drew Brees has quieted a lot of concern about QBs that are only 6'.

Thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some thoughts:

He probably wouldn't cost more than a 3rd, as opposed to other promising young back-ups, such as Dennis Dixon or Kevin Kolb, since Baltimore already has a viable #2 QB on their roster and has publicly made himself available.

I haven't seen any of his games myself, but people have been impressed with his play.

Thoughts?

I'd pass

Yup I'd bring him in. He has upside and youth on his side at least. We need to get lucky on a QB and not risk a first rounder trying too. Some fans need to face reality. This "Bona Fide starter" and "franchise Qb" garbage is unfortunately not a possibility. The franchise Qbs are gearing up for a playoff run right now, not requesting trades and hitting FA.

Something about the whole 'SB run' thing seems to indicate that the Bills would NOT be one of those teams that he would be interested in.

Besides, I don't remember Troy Smith ever mentioned as a name of 'Hopeful Franchise QB's'.

I believe he couldn't beat out Kyle Boller....

IS THAT THE ROFLCOPTER I HEAR? :unsure:

Yes, in his rookie season he could not beat out Kyle Boller. Oh the horror! In his second season he was seriously sick with some kind of rare illness and Flacco took over during his absence. Flacco has started ever since and Smith has been 2nd string.

a 3rd for troy smith? HA! what have you been smoking. a 3rd round pick is pretty valuable,

Right. It could be our next Chris Ellis. Or Trent Edwards. Or Ashton Youboty. Or (Dare I? Dare I?) Tim Anderson.

Yup I'd bring him in. He has upside and youth on his side at least. We need to get lucky on a QB and not risk a first rounder trying too. Some fans need to face reality. This "Bona Fide starter" and "franchise Qb" garbage is unfortunately not a possibility. The franchise Qbs are gearing up for a playoff run right now, not requesting trades and hitting FA.

I think half the board believes you can find them in Aisle 12 at Walmart.

Some thoughts:

Thoughts?

Don't we have an extra 6th round pick from Philly, I'd make the trade with that pick. Bring him in and let him, brohm and any drafted QB fight it out ... you know a real competition.

Also, anyone know what his contract status is?

I asked Billick what he thought about him in a chat. He never responded :unsure:

My son is a huge Ravens fan so I keep close watch. At the beginning of last season he was actually beating out Joe Flacco for the starting job. He looked like the better qb. Speculation was beginning what to do with him since Flacco was drafted in the first round. He suffered an injury and Flacco won the job by default and hasn't looked back. I would have no problem bringing him in bacause he is better than anyone we have. With a pre season under his belt he would actually be pretty good. However he wouldn't be annointed a starter unless he proved it. I wouldn't mind seeing Kevin Kolb as well. These are the two qb's I would target in the off season as well as drafting one.

Yes, in his rookie season he could not beat out Kyle Boller. Oh the horror! In his second season he was seriously sick with some kind of rare illness and Flacco took over during his absence. Flacco has started ever since and Smith has been 2nd string.

by all means, bring in Troy Smith if you'd like to kick off another "Decade of Fail". :unsure: