Bills have contacted Charlie Weis

Beerball

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Weiss becomes HC...look for Romeo Crennell and other Parcells, Billichek type people to come into the mix...But, I would like the front office blown apart too...

for what it is worth Mike Franseca said that he heard romeo was done , he got paid and is now done .

that being said the more guys from teh parcell tree the better

charlie weis has bill parcells ties and i hate to start a rumor but since parcells can opt out anytime and has wny ties , this might be a strong possibility that parcells might come here and have the same role he had in miami...

What Western New York ties? I have never heard this before and am quite dubious.

I also wouldn't mind hiring a guy as Nolan as head coach and Weis as OC, though I doubt Weis would come on board for that.

JR, as a Bay Area resident since leaving Bflo in 2002 (after 35 years), I witnessed Mike Nolan's act up close. He was given every chance to succeed and he failed miserably. In my opinion he falls into that category (that many coaches do) of great coordinator, bad head coach.

How's this for speculation-

GM-Ernie Accorsi

HC-Charlie Weiss

OC-Charlie Weiss

DC-Romeo Crennell

Ernie Accorsi, like Ron Wolf, is retired and has expressed no interest in returning to the NFL full time. Accorsi consults the NFL and any NFL team which wants to tap into his expertise. That's why I proposed two months ago that he should be hired on retainer by the Bills to oversee their GM search. I believe Accorsi is 70 years old and Wolf turns 71 in two days. As Accorsi said in November,

"I am not taking any GM job anywhere. Period," Accorsi told the paper. "I am not taking any full-time job. I serve the league office as a consultant. I have consulted in various areas with four NFL clubs the past two years."

If Bills fans want proven, experienced GMs, the two choices are Floyd Reese and Charlie Casserly.

How about Tom Clements as our new O.C.?

Tom Clements already was our offensive coordinator under Mike Mularkey. The consensus was that he didn't do such a great job. It was his first coordinators job as he was QB coach for the Steelers. Depending on the story you believe, Mularkey wanted to bring Whisenhunt as his OC but Tom Donahoe insisted on Clements. The other story is that the Steelers wouldn't let Whisenhunt out of his contract although the NFL forbids standing in the way of coaches who would be getting promotions from another team. Whisenhunt would have been our OC, where in Pittsburgh, he was the tight ends coach at the time.

What Western New York ties? I have never heard this before and am quite dubious.

JR, as a Bay Area resident since leaving Bflo in 2002 (after 35 years), I witnessed Mike Nolan's act up close. He was given every chance to succeed and he failed miserably. In my opinion he falls into that category (that many coaches do) of great coordinator, bad head coach.

Ernie Accorsi, like Ron Wolf, is retired and has expressed no interest in returning to the NFL full time. Accorsi consults the NFL and any NFL team which wants to tap into his expertise. That's why I proposed two months ago that he should be hired on retainer by the Bills to oversee their GM search. I believe Accorsi is 70 years old and Wolf turns 71 in two days. As Accorsi said in November,

"I am not taking any GM job anywhere. Period," Accorsi told the paper. "I am not taking any full-time job. I serve the league office as a consultant. I have consulted in various areas with four NFL clubs the past two years."

If Bills fans want proven, experienced GMs, the two choices are Floyd Reese and Charlie Casserly.

Tom Clements already was our offensive coordinator under Mike Mularkey. The consensus was that he didn't do such a great job. It was his first coordinators job as he was QB coach for the Steelers. Depending on the story you believe, Mularkey wanted to bring Whisenhunt as his OC but Tom Donahoe insisted on Clements. The other story is that the Steelers wouldn't let Whisenhunt out of his contract although the NFL forbids standing in the way of coaches who would be getting promotions from another team. Whisenhunt would have been our OC, where in Pittsburgh, he was the tight ends coach at the time.

having accorsi lead he search instead of Russ would be a big step in the right direction

How does what SF and Detroit are doing this year have anything to do with what Martz did when he was there?

I said that he doesn't like to run the ball, the facts are the facts. His offenses have been at the bottom in rushing attempts every year that he's been in the league. I don't really know what your rebuttal could be?

And here is the difference between Martz and Weis. Weis got canned and 10 teams were on the phone the next day. Martz gets canned and he's in a studio begging for a job that no one wants.

That's easy---I bring up the fortunes of SF and Detroit after canning Martz to prove the point that Martz wasn't the problem at those two sites. They sucked before he arrived and are no better since he left. It's hard to score points without a QB.

Look, you surely understand that Martz's is a pass centered game. And that Faulk ammassed huge numbers both running and catching the ball in the peak 3 years of that offense. Martz ran plenty, but not primarily. Do you really think that hindered that offense? This is a passing league.

I believe that Martz is unemployed because people think he's an !@#$. I doubt you would fing many in football who would argue he didn't know how to manage an offense. Look at TO--guy's a HOF WR at the peak of his game, yet if Buffalo hadn't tossed him a lifeline, he would be sitting home this year.

Weis got 10 teams calling him for HC? Ok. Anyway, here's the thing about Weis---he can't seem to do much without a QB named Brady. Talk about a guy who's been "exposed".

Just when you thought things could not get more depressing. It seems like every decent head coaching candidate (at least based on media reports) say no. Still no signs of signing a GM.

And now Charlie Weis? Typical. A fat arrogant coach who was a complete failure with Notre Dame. Don't give me the Notre Dame excuses. Academic restrictions? Stanford and Georgia Tech finished in the Top 20. Both are just as tough, if not better. USC is not a bad either. They have no issues recruiting. His play calling was questionable and defenses were awful. In terms of his New England tenure, did they skip a beat when he left? Not really?

Let's think of this so-called Belichick coaching tree. Romeo Crennel? Epic failure. Eric Mangini. Failure. Todd Haley? May be to close to call but the Chiefs were a pretty bad team. The only decent guy from that tree right now is Josh McDaniels.

After Weis we hear about Mike Martz? Crennel? Weis, Fassel, Dennis Green?? :thumbsup::wallbash::wallbash:

Hopefully someone in that Front Office is discussing Grimm or Zimmer. Those two seem like there is a least potential there.

That's easy---I bring up the fortunes of SF and Detroit after canning Martz to prove the point that Martz wasn't the problem at those two sites. They sucked before he arrived and are no better since he left. It's hard to score points without a QB.

Look, you surely understand that Martz's is a pass centered game. And that Faulk ammassed huge numbers both running and catching the ball in the peak 3 years of that offense. Martz ran plenty, but not primarily. Do you really think that hindered that offense? This is a passing league.

I believe that Martz is unemployed because people think he's an !@#$. I doubt you would fing many in football who would argue he didn't know how to manage an offense. Look at TO--guy's a HOF WR at the peak of his game, yet if Buffalo hadn't tossed him a lifeline, he would be sitting home this year.

Weis got 10 teams calling him for HC? Ok. Anyway, here's the thing about Weis---he can't seem to do much without a QB named Brady. Talk about a guy who's been "exposed".

I think you are a little off base here. Brady Quinn was horrible until Weiss got to ND. Clausen has improved greatly since he was a freshman at ND. This guy knows how to run an offense & more importantly develope a qb & has a way of putting them into situations that they can succeed at. I follow college football very closely, people that casually follow it do not realize what a tough gig it is to win at Notre Dame right now. The standards are higher, they are not in a conference, have no bowl affiliation, the alumni are merciless, & more importantly the bottom line is that Notre dame, no matter what their recruit ranking is for the recruiting season(I have read that ND is always put 15-20 spots higher then they should be) they are not getting the top athletes anymore on a cosistent basis. If you do not like Weiss; fine, but please do not tell me because he failed at Notre Dame(not you specifically). He was really in a no win situation there.

I like the Weis hiring, I wanted him when they took Mularkey. He could run the offense & bring in a top nothc defensive coordinator. The job should be enticing since he could tell the DC that the defense side of the ball is his to run. Make him an assistant head coach & now we got something. Dare I say, a guy like Weis could possibly salvage Edwards career here.

I agree.

All of this contacting coaches first stuff is @$$ backwards, IMO.

Alot of GM's want to bring in their own guys and philosophies when they start. The Redskins brought in Bruce Allen first, now Shanahan is rumored to have a contract all in the works at Redskins Park.

GM first, then coach.

Picking the coach before the GM is going to limit whomever may be viewed as a GM for the Bills.

I have never heard of a team doing it this way. Anyone else?

I agree we need a GM first, But if we go the coach route, Cowher, would be the only coach to get. because his personality and rep would intimidate any GM out of the building. ex) Tom Donahoe. We would have to give him a Coach/GM role and pay him more money than we can imagine. Get r done.

I think you are a little off base here. Brady Quinn was horrible until Weiss got to ND. Clausen has improved greatly since he was a freshman at ND. This guy knows how to run an offense & more importantly develope a qb & has a way of putting them into situations that they can succeed at. I follow college football very closely, people that casually follow it do not realize what a tough gig it is to win at Notre Dame right now. The standards are higher, they are not in a conference, have no bowl affiliation, the alumni are merciless, & more importantly the bottom line is that Notre dame, no matter what their recruit ranking is for the recruiting season(I have read that ND is always put 15-20 spots higher then they should be) they are not getting the top athletes anymore on a cosistent basis. If you do not like Weiss; fine, but please do not tell me because he failed at Notre Dame(not you specifically). He was really in a no win situation there.

I like the Weis hiring, I wanted him when they took Mularkey. He could run the offense & bring in a top nothc defensive coordinator. The job should be enticing since he could tell the DC that the defense side of the ball is his to run. Make him an assistant head coach & now we got something. Dare I say, a guy like Weis could possibly salvage Edwards career here.

Really? "A no win situation"?? So you're saying that NO man can succeed at ND becuase of these forces assembled against him---or are you saying Charlie Weis had no chance? Which is it?

"Right now"? Nothing has changed recently at ND: the academic standards have always been high, they have never been in a conference and the alumni always expect at least 10 wins and a BCS bowl appearance. No Bowl affiliation? No matter how crappy their season, some bowl wants ND to come and play.

You think the expectations at ND are tougher than, say, Michigan? Ohio State? Texas?

And it is probably true that ND is no longer the first choice of the nation"s top prep stars, but to say that all of the ranking bodies that rank them highly are off by "15-20 spots" (which would make them not even in the top 20 in the country??) because youe "read it somewhere" is a bit much.

Quinn was not a star, but was hardly "horrible" before Weis. Clausen was one of the most heavily recruited QBs his year. He finishes as one of the best college QBs of the year. I'll give Weis some credit there, but he wasn't working with nothing, you know.

I thought Weis would have been better than Mularkey at the time, too. But now, in the position of HC, I don't think it's a great idea. He had 5 years to assemble a staff that could produce at least a modest defense in a program where money is no object and many consider it the pinnacle of a college coaching career and he utterly failed to find someone. He's a bumbler as HC. I would take him as the OC (warning fellas, he, too, is not a big fan of the running game), but not as HC.

so what prevented Weis from hiring a top defensive coordinator at ND?

the HEAD coach is responsible for the whole team, not just his schematically superior offense

Weis already showed what you can expect from him as a HC in Buffalo

overhyped and underperforming

but at least he would come cheap since ND would still be paying until he got fired in Buffalo