Urban Meyer Stepping down as Florida Coach??

DPR4444

from ESPN

"Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletics director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.

"I'm proud to be a part of the Gainesville community and the Gator Nation and I plan to remain in Gainesville and involved with the University of Florida.

"I'm very appreciative for the opportunity I've had to be a part of a tremendous institution - from Dr. Machen to Jeremy Foley and the entire administrative staff at UF. I'm also very thankful for the chance to work with some of the best assistants in college football and coach some of the best college football players and watch them grow both on and off the field as people. I will cherish the relationships with them the most."

Meyer will coach his last game for Florida against Cincinnati on Jan. 1 at the Sugar Bowl. "

good to see he realizes what is truly important in life before it becomes too late...you can only burn both ends of the candle so long as a college or nfl coach before it catches up with you...

Good to see this ends early...too often it ends after it is too late

F'n Ahole.

If that's all he said in his speech, what a prick! He needs to thank Bowling Green State University for giving him the first big break. He is a brilliant coach and did amazing things at BGSU...despite UT still beating them often!

Also, it is all too nice being able to leave after Tebow is leaving. He'll be in the NFL somewhere and have a career just like Spurrier. His NCAA game would not make it in the NFL unless he assembles an amazing roster of speed and ability. Washington, Dallas, and Oakland are the only franchises that could pull signing him off.

Sports Illustrated had an article a few weeks ago about his health issues. Apparently he learned how to cope with it and changed his attitude and coaching style to keep healthy. According to SI, he has lived with it fine for years.

That said ...

My own (worthless) conspiracy theory take is that he's NOT stepping down for health reasons. Rather, he's stepping down before the NCAA hands out some heavy duty sanctions against Florida. How many players have been arrested during his tenure? How many times has he been accused of recruiting violations?

Might not happen this way. I have ZERO proof of this. Just call it a hunch. Men like him don't walk away unless they are looking to preserve their legacy. By saying it's health related, he gets off the hook ... until the NCAA comes down that is. But at least he won't have to deal with the ramifications of these (alleged) violations by coaching a team on probation.

Just my two cents.

I may have missed it, but what are his "health problems"?

Sounds like some sort of heart/blood pressure issue, but i'm just speculating. Anyone know for sure? At any rate, it's good that he quits instead of letting his job literally kill him.

Sounds like some sort of heart/blood pressure issue, but i'm just speculating. Anyone know for sure? At any rate, it's good that he quits instead of letting his job literally kill him.

I may be wrong and just acting like the sports pundits do daily, but this could be less of a health issue than he states. He has had a lot of speculation about recruiting issues and his players behaving badly off the field haven't helped. It just makes me wonder a little bit. If this is really because of his health, then I wish him the best.

Sports Illustrated had an article a few weeks ago about his health issues. Apparently he learned how to cope with it and changed his attitude and coaching style to keep healthy. According to SI, he has lived with it fine for years.

That said ...

My own (worthless) conspiracy theory take is that he's NOT stepping down for health reasons. Rather, he's stepping down before the NCAA hands out some heavy duty sanctions against Florida. How many players have been arrested during his tenure? How many times has he been accused of recruiting violations?

Might not happen this way. I have ZERO proof of this. Just call it a hunch. Men like him don't walk away unless they are looking to preserve their legacy. By saying it's health related, he gets off the hook ... until the NCAA comes down that is. But at least he won't have to deal with the ramifications of these (alleged) violations by coaching a team on probation.

Just my two cents.

IMO, the timing of this announcement creates a hole in your conspiracy theory.

That said ...

Just my two cents.

Do you know what issue that was? I am way behind in my SI reading and hope I didn't throw that one out or skip that article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/sports/n...&ref=sports

By PETE THAMEL

Published: December 26, 2009

The night that Florida lost to Alabama in the Southeastern Conference title game, Florida Coach Urban Meyer awoke in the middle of the night with severe chest pains.

He had suffered from severe chest pains the past two years, but this time was different. He lost consciousness, went to a hospital in an ambulance and underwent more than nine hours of testing.

That night was the tipping point for Meyer, 45, who stunned the college football world Saturday by announcing that he was stepping down from coaching.

“There was no heart damage,” Meyer said. “But I didn’t want there to be a bad day where there were three kids sitting around wondering what to do next. It was the pattern of what I was doing and how I was doing it. It was self-destructive.”

Meyer said in a telephone interview late Saturday night that that the hospital trip prompted weeks of soul searching that ended on Christmas night. He told his family he would be leaving his job at Florida. He said that his 18-year-old daughter Nicki hugged him and said, “I get my daddy back.”

Good work by Thamel.