Good read on Maybin...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on Earth would Jauron/Modrak draft a player as raw as Maybin when they surely knew that 09 was a must win season for them? :wallbash:

For the same reason they chose to rebuild with an undersized SS.

Levy/Jauron/Modrak/Guy could not rebuild their OL and DL despite repeated attempts over four off-seasons. When they finally take a DE, it's someone not physically prepared for the NFL.

There are a few posters on this board who I seriously believe could do a better job than the current staff, who should be fired on January 4th.

For the same reason they chose to rebuild with an undersized SS.

Levy/Jauron/Modrak/Guy could not rebuild their OL and DL despite repeated attempts over four off-seasons. When they finally take a DE, it's someone not physically prepared for the NFL.

There are a few posters on this board who I seriously believe could do a better job than the current staff, who should be fired on January 4th.

dude he ran a 4.58 on his pro day at 252lbs... give him some time.

for gods sake marcellus wiley was 215lbs his freshman year by the time he was 25 he was a 275lb monster. wiley did absolutley nothing his first year. give maybin some time.

Exactly, the kid is 21 years old. Dammit people, have some patience, I don't care if it was a "must win" year. What year isn't for this franchise?

Pass judgement after next season.

The worst part is Maybin hasn't shown any flashes of potential. He gets nowhere near the QB on his rushes and doesn't even get upfield. Brain farts aside, you want to see some talent when he's out there. Other than long arms, there's hasn't been much to feel positive about. He ain't gonna go somewhere and magically make himself better. Horrible article... every player had to work hard to get to the NFL. The issues arise when a guy is given $13-14m guaranteed, does he still keep his hunger?

ur wrong maybin has shown flashes as a pass rusher..... few and far between but that sack against the lions was electric..

You're using a pre-season finale game, typically when the imminent cuts play, as an example that's he's solid? And it was against the freaking Lions? :wallbash: I've seen some good ones on this board, and that's up there.

I wan the kid to succeed, but there's nothing to indicate he'll live up to his draft status. It's like the Demetrius Bell syndrome: buy into hype about an unproven commodity until you realize he's not good.

the sack was against jeff backus..... not a 3rd stringer........................................................................

Backus is a mediocre NFL LT. He's part of the reason Stafford is out for the season this year, so yes he's not a third stringer, but he's not special either.

Secondly, Maybin beat the guy with speed around the edge. That may work twice a year, but until Maybin learns to use his hands and feature some counter moves, he's not going to get a lot of sacks with pure speed. Teams do watch films and adapt.

The worst part is Maybin hasn't shown any flashes of potential. He gets nowhere near the QB on his rushes and doesn't even get upfield. Brain farts aside, you want to see some talent when he's out there. Other than long arms, there's hasn't been much to feel positive about. He ain't gonna go somewhere and magically make himself better. Horrible article... every player had to work hard to get to the NFL. The issues arise when a guy is given $13-14m guaranteed, does he still keep his hunger?

The problem with drafting projects that take three years is that you might end up watching them leave after you spend all the time and money to develop them. (jason peters comes to mind)

The one thing Maybin has proven is that he will sit out and hurt the team unless he gets paid exactly what he wants. That kind of Me First attitude combined with Project/Raw talent is a bad combo.

He sat out all of training camp and signed a 5 year deal, which is now down to 4 years. If he takes two more years to be a stud, my guess is he'll demand a renegotiation in year 4 and go for top dollar, or sit out again like JP did, miss camp and report on game day week 1 to avoid fines. In that case, I'd rather go out and spend for a proven DE who was somebody else's project looking to jump ship for money. At least you have NFL film to evaluate and you know what you're getting.

Man, i used to be an optimist and I loved this pick when the Bills made it because the highlight stuff they were showing. It made him seem like he had really good pass rushing moves and not just speed, like he was beating guards and tackles, not just college tight ends.

I hope he does well but I have no respect for the guy knowing he was raw and yet still missing all of training camp. He never had a chance this year.

The thing about Maybin isn't that he is a bust quite yet. BUT the kid was a project who even if he turns out to fulfill his potential isn't going to be that much better then Orakpo is now (11 sacks with 2 games left to go on a bad team) AND we could have drafted Michael Oher a guy who has played well at LT a very important position and stands to only get better with time.

So we passed up on 2 Blue Chip to prospects who have contributed this season in very good fashion to draft a project (Who coming out of the draft was a project). I wanted the Bills to draft Orakpo because I thought teams (Like the Bills) were over scouting Orakpo and that if he fell to us we should take him because he would be a steal and if you look at my posts I feared that Orakpo would be taken and we would take maybin and my initial reaction was that we missed the boat on that pick.

Now I don't think that Maybin is a lost cause. I hope the Bills get a good coach in here who can put Maybin in a position to have success. To be honest I think that this coaching staff didn't do Maybin any favors they should have come into the season thinking that he would be a situational pass rusher off the bench. Now on any pure passing down I feel Maybin should have been put in BUT a lot of times on running /passing downs Maybin was in and exposed.

So not only did DJ and Co put Maybin in a bit of a compromised position to begin with BUT when we started getting hit hard with injuries at OLB we should have put Maybin at OLB after the bye week to get him on the field more in a better situation (AND helping the team fill a need caused by injury) and on the field more. Also putting Maybin at OLB tests the waters to see if he can be effective at OLB in case he doesn't work out at DE.

The thing about Maybin isn't that he is a bust quite yet. BUT the kid was a project who even if he turns out to fulfill his potential isn't going to be that much better then Orakpo is now (11 sacks with 2 games left to go on a bad team) AND we could have drafted Michael Oher a guy who has played well at LT a very important position and stands to only get better with time.

So we passed up on 2 Blue Chip to prospects who have contributed this season in very good fashion to draft a project

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

Throw in the LBs and you've got 4 productive rookies. What makes folks believe that Maybin's quantum leap forward will make him head and shoulders above Orakpo? Or Oher? Or Cushing? Or Matthews?

What makes you think he'll be better than they are today?

Review his one year stats. He racked up sacks against inferior competition. How many of the O-linemen he faced were or will be drafted? Any?