Kiper on QBs in the draft

Tortured Soul

It definitely makes for an interesting debate. Brady is from NoCal and so is Aaron Rodgers. Manning is from New Orleans (though he does have some struggles in the cold). Farve was a great December QB until he started to get old.

There are so few franchise QBs out there, it is hard to get so picky. The reason our QBs have struggled, IMO, isn't because they were from Cali. It was because they weren't very good and sure fire franchise guys in the first place.

Bottomline, we jsut need a stud QB. If he comes from Alaska or Africa, IMO, it doesn't really matter. But because guys like Losman, Edwards, and RJ failed here shouldn't limit our QB pool. They failed becauce they weren't good, not because they were from Cali.

I totally agree, man. I think I just got sick of hearing about how this player was afraid of snow...or that player needed to wear a glove when it was cold to throw the ball, or whatever....how many of us who grew up in the Buffalo area were outside for hours at a time as kids, most likely underdressed, playing tackle football in the snow? I want someone who is at LEAST that tough, preferably tougher. I get the sense that if we could go back in time and Trent Edwards came to join my buddies for one of our pick-up games, he'd be the first one wanting to go back in cause he was cold. :thumbsup:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, cause we haven't fuggin played past December for a damn DECADE, bro lol

Maybe you're too young to remember, but the road to the SB used to go through Buffalo, and the weather most definitely played a factor.

Well, in order to get into the playoffs, you have to win before December. And as I have pointed out, the weather is not a significant factor in Buff except for perhaps 2 games a year. If you have a great QB, the cold games won't bother him, no matter where he was raised.

How many football games did Kelly play in December cold before he got to Buffalo?

"Too young......"---thanks, but it's too late for that!

Well, in order to get into the playoffs, you have to win before December. And as I have pointed out, the weather is not a significant factor in Buff except for perhaps 2 games a year. If you have a great QB, the cold games won't bother him, no matter where he was raised.

How many football games did Kelly play in December cold before he got to Buffalo?

"Too young......"---thanks, but it's too late for that!

I guess we just have to agree to disagree, man...I'm just more comfortable with someone accustomed to colder weather, but like I said, if he's got balls and can get the job done, I'm cool with wherever he's from.

• 3 weeks later...
Kiper has a great job that I'm jealous of. But I'll put my football background against his and a lot of posters on this board. I have very little doubt if my life consisted of only watching football, I could do a great job too. Good for Kiper but I apologize that I don't worship the man as a god for doing something a million people could do. Mike Mayock is better than him already.

You say he has zero accountability but what does that mean? He doesn't lose his job for getting stuff wrong (like every GM in the history of the world has) when he's grading hundreds of players every year? Oh noes.

Lol @ comparing him to people on this board. The mock drafts on team message boards and local newspapers...where do you think those come from? It's Kiper's board with a bit of tinkering based on their opinion of team needs (eg: our team needs a LB more than a DE). He (and more recently has some company with guys like Mayock) have the task of putting together the board without the cheatsheet. If you didn't have that as a reference point, you'd consider Tebow, McCoy, and Graham Harrell 1st round picks; and a zillion other guys who never get drafted or play in the nfl. And if you say otherwise you're a liar.

Dude, I know I have never followed Kiper's Big Board, I love the combine, senior bowl, and bowl season, thats where you get a feel of who the good players are. But I agree with Biscuit in that i am very jealous of the guy who watches football all year and gets paid to prognosticate and essentially guess.

Is there an archive of Mel Kiper articles from years past? I'd like to read what he's said about other QB's coming out of college and see how often he is right.

PTR

I think we can all agree that Bill Walsh was one of the best talent evaluators out there of all time...He said that JJ Stokes was the next Jerry Rice and traded up to get him in the first...how did that work out? He was also really high on the QB Jim Drunkenmiller...bet most of you havent heard of him...

The point of that is that no matter how much you know about football or how great you are at evaluating talent, to be able to consistently be right on players coming out of college is nearly impossible. Its a completely different game in college against a massively broad range talent in terms of competition. Its incredibly hard to project how these players will fare in the NFL which is made up of all the top talent from the level they are leaving.

That being said, what Kiper brings to the table is information, not accuracy...knowing as much as possible about each player is his business, but I wouldnt put a whole lot of stock into who he thinks will be the best in the NFL as thats not his background.

Jim Kelly went to Miami, but he's from PA. Bernie Kosar is from Ohio. Cade McNown is from Oregon. I don't care so much where they went to school as I do where they're from.

Exactly. It must be a ball grabbing event for a warm weather guy to experience his first 15degree/25mph day. Hell, for those that have lived in it forever a quiet "Son of a ****, God ****, F**" can usually be heard.