Where would you start to fix this squad?

Obviously, we need to get rid of the guys responsible for the horrible draft record. I can remember screaming for about 10 minutes at the Whitner pick, and saying prayers about Maybin.

I have a friend whose son plays for Penn State, and when I asked him about Maybin he chose not to comment.

Maybin is a total buttwipe for holding out...as if he was worth it. When you hold out that long, you better get on the field and DOMINATE.

When the new guys are in place, they had better get us a quarterback. There is no successful team in this league without a good quarterback. Fitzpatrick is a joke, Trent is an injury prone mystery, and I hope to hell that Brohm shows mad skill. Otherwise they are going to have to bust a move to get a veteran in here, and not somebody 100 like Garcia. What's Jeff George up to?

They have got to get somebody in here to do something about all these injuries. The last 3 years we've looked like a MASH unit. There are guys on IR who I forgot were ever on the team. Mitchell, Ellison, last year's number one pick, about 6 guys from the offensive line. This is clearly an aberration. This cannot continue. Broken legs are one thing, but there has to be some way to build enough strength around the joints to help prevent season-killing injuries.

Every year around February I start studying the draft previews, getting all worked up and ready. And every year we end up doing mysterious things on draft day. These guys should learn how to trade down, and that way they can waste picks with a sense of quantity rather than quality.

And they obviously need a hard-nosed veteran coach. My preference would be Cowher, but I would settle for Schottenheimer. Maybe even Billick.

Could be worse. Could be a Rams fan.

Well, since you asked.....

1. I'd hit the record Mega Millions jackpot for $975 billion.

2. I'd buy the Buffalo Bills.

3. I'd fire just 'bout everyone.

4. I'd hire a good up and coming personnel guy or someone who has the knowledge but needs a change of scenery (Cerrato got a raw deal in Washington, so did Kokinis in Cleveland). I'd let that person bring in the coach they want to bring in (like what Dimitroff did by bringing Smith to Atlanta), making sure that everyone (myself, my GM, and my coach) is on the same page as far as what we want to do.

5. Speaking of.....I'd want to bring in guys who want to run a 3-4 defense and a run oriented offense and bolster both lines by adding bigger, stronger guys up front.

6. I'd be patient w/ the changes and let the chips fall where they may.

This is a great topic that should see a long life into the 10 page+ range.

How do you build an NFL team? Such an enormous question to ponder, and if I truly had the answer I'd be making millions actually doing it.

Do you really go QB first?

I guess in the end, you must. But I have to admit I don't watch alot of college football (read: next to none). Something about the kickers not only missing kicks with the frequency that they do (isn't that your only job and thing you do in practice? That being, make kicks?), but what is with the players numbers in college football? Really ticks me off...kickers wearing defensive lineman numbers, linebackers wearing receivers and backs numbers...sheesh.

Alas, I depend on others for football collegiate info (my bro-in-law is a big college fan living in NC). Unless, there is that rare somebody special who transcends the traditional levels and is truly remarkable. Like the draft 6 years ago that had Manning, Rivers, and Rothlesberger. That was a big deal.

I can't honestly say that any of these guys available this year makes the transcendent level for me. They all seem sort of...average.

Ofcourse I am NOT a coach, scout, or GM. But I would submit that you should draft a QB when one becomes available. I don't believe that any in this class are really that great.

With that being said, we have an unfortunate situation at just about every position except kicker, punter, running back and the defensive backfield. Those are alot of holes to fill.

But we have got to have a real GM. I watched that 'Skins game last night, and admit to being somewhat saddened that we lost out on Bruce Allen. Ah, who am I kidding? Expecting Brandon to actually be on the right track of something is foolhardy of me.

You can see the incompetence a mile away. Does anyone realize that our defensive line could be solid right now? We wouldn't have had to trade, or move up, or sign anyone to mega-million dollar contracts. Drafting Ngata instead of Whitner. Drafting Orakpo instead of Maybin. Making it impossible for Cameron Wake to sign with the hated Dolphins. We'd be set.

The problem is that this inept front office keeps putting the Bills in position to chase its own tail. We are constantly scrambling to correct mistakes and fill in gaps made by mistakes, and we never get ahead. We never get better.

Someone like a Polian or a Parcells or an Allen would get this turned around real quick. Within 2 seasons we'd have a winning record. Within 4 we'd be in the playoffs. Modrak and Guy have had 8-9 seasons, and we sniffed a playoff berth only once- and Pittsburgh ran all over it.

I think to even remotely consider coaches or players at this point is horrendously futile. We have GOT to have a completely remade front office. a real GM (they keep going off the market), a real scouting department, a pro personnel 'guy' who gets it, has connections to some of the players, and gets bargains for us.

One of things that truly amazed me about the Super Bowl Bills front office is that they were staffed with 4-5 GM's. Polian, Butler, Nix, Smith, and the guy that went to AZ. Unbelievable. Butler passed on, Nix is back, and Smith is never leaving the heaven-on-earth that is San Diego. Polian was re-upped in Indy. Unless we pulled off some kind of trade for Polian like Tampa did for Gruden, things are getting slim out in the market.

Parcells is not under contract in Miami and can leave at any time. Floyd Reese is still out there, and his Titan teams were always tough, physical, and right in the playoff hunt every year.

Without a top notch GM and in effect, a top notch front office, any effort to improve the product on the field will equate to us spinning our wheels.

1, Get a quality GM

2. Let the GM get a quality coach

3. Sign your best players

4. Draft an Offensive Line (2 tackles and a guard)

5. Draft a Defensive Line (tackle and DE)

6. Convert Maybin to linebacker and get one or two OLB's in free agency

7. Get a free agent tight end

8. run first/pass second.

evaluate your qb's and offensive co-ordinator in the next year.

Priorities:

New GM

New Coach and Front Office Personnel men

a busy offseason of evaluation the result of which is:

A real Left Tackle or Left Tackle prospect - Bell is literally the definition of soft-turnstile. Seriously, there was actually a news article about the ingenious defense the Pats used to pressure the QB. Really? Was it that difficult to come up with a plan that involved defensive players running past, around, or through Bell?

Butler and Wood back and healthy.

New OC

New DC

Monster DT or NT if the new DC goes with the 3-4

Some bigger LB to fill out the roster.

a boot up Maybin's worthless butt

I like our secondary, and I would not bother focusing on a rookie QB till we get someone in here that can solve our protection and run-blocking issues. A serviceable QB that is durable will do until the blown up pieces start to fall in place and resemble some progress, then focus on the QB of the future in 2011.

Cerrato? You can't be serious. :ph34r:

Cerrato was Lou Holtz' recruiting coordinator when he was a national championship winning coach @ that school. He then went on to draft guys like Dana (former NFL Defensive Player of the Year) Stubblefield, Bryant (NFL all 1990s team) Young, and some smallish DT named Ted Washington. So yeah, he may know a thing or two 'bout personnel. As for his Washington stints? Please. You think those were all HIS moves and not Dan Snyder's?

1, Get a quality GM

QB can't wait another year, not that the options to fix it right away are very good.

Fitzpatrick is at best a backup - always has been, always will be - what the Bills saw in him for anything other than a clip board holder always escaped me.

Trent is just like JP - he just doesn't have it and has no business playing QB in the NFL. It won't suprise me if he has to do what JP did and leave the league to find his next gig.

Brohm is unknown, but I don't get a great feeling about a guy who didn't make it off the PS in GB behind a rookie 5th round draft pick. Even if he comes in and playes well for the last 2 games of the season I'm terrified of the Rob Johnson syndrome - anoininting a guy as "quarterback of the future" based on a couple of good games...

Without an adequate QB this team is going nowhere - NOWHERE. I'm not saying you need to have the next Peyton Manning to be successful, but you need someone who is at least an adequate NFL quarterback - the Bills don't have one because our front office talent evaluation is abysmal. God this team is in a huge hole - amazing considering how much time we've had to rebuild since we were last worth a damn....

Obviously, we need to get rid of the guys responsible for the horrible draft record. I can remember screaming for about 10 minutes at the Whitner pick, and saying prayers about Maybin.

I have a friend whose son plays for Penn State, and when I asked him about Maybin he chose not to comment.

Maybin is a total buttwipe for holding out...as if he was worth it. When you hold out that long, you better get on the field and DOMINATE.

When the new guys are in place, they had better get us a quarterback. There is no successful team in this league without a good quarterback. Fitzpatrick is a joke, Trent is an injury prone mystery, and I hope to hell that Brohm shows mad skill. Otherwise they are going to have to bust a move to get a veteran in here, and not somebody 100 like Garcia. What's Jeff George up to?

They have got to get somebody in here to do something about all these injuries. The last 3 years we've looked like a MASH unit. There are guys on IR who I forgot were ever on the team. Mitchell, Ellison, last year's number one pick, about 6 guys from the offensive line. This is clearly an aberration. This cannot continue. Broken legs are one thing, but there has to be some way to build enough strength around the joints to help prevent season-killing injuries.

Every year around February I start studying the draft previews, getting all worked up and ready. And every year we end up doing mysterious things on draft day. These guys should learn how to trade down, and that way they can waste picks with a sense of quantity rather than quality.

And they obviously need a hard-nosed veteran coach. My preference would be Cowher, but I would settle for Schottenheimer. Maybe even Billick.

Could be worse. Could be a Rams fan.

I start with the Owner...

1, Get a quality GM

Running first isn't the way to win in the NFL anymore.

1.) GM and associated coaching changes

2.) install new winning attitude

3.) Switch to a 3-4 D

4.) Improve the Trenches on both the DL and OL

5.) Find a suitable Vet Qb (no Vick please, I did say suitable)

6.) Add LB's

no particular order

We have to get a REAL GM first and foremost.

Let the GM pick the HC

Let the Head coach picks his OC and DC.

HIRE A NEW TEAM TRAINER, this team is injured way to often the last 3 yrs for it to be just random.

Get a LT in the draft or during the free agent signing period. Should have done this last yr.

Get a stud OLB or MLB in he draft.

Get a draft pick for Donte Whitner. He is worth something to somebody hopefully.

Let T.O. go...... I had my popcorn ready but damn no butter lol

Let Josh Reed go.

Find a QB, let Fitz be the backup.

This is a 2 yr project. I just dont see a quick turnaround with this .