Jim Plunkett QB

thewildrabbit

Winner of the 1970 Heisman Trophy and Maxwell Award as the best college player of the year, Plunkett started at quarterback for two years at Stanford University. He completed 530 of 962 passes for 7,544 yards and 52 touchdowns, becoming the first player ever to account for more than 7,000 yards in passing and in total offense. plunkett_jim.jpgHe joined the NFL's New England Patriots as their first round draft choice in 1971 and was named rookie of the year after completing 156 of 328 attempts for 2,158 yards and 19 touchdowns. That was the beginning of a roller-coaster professional career.

Playing behind a shaky offensive line, the 6-foot-2, 220-pound Plunkett was frequently sacked and suffered a variety of injuries during the next four seasons. In 1976, the Patriots traded him to the San Francisco 49ers, who released him after the 1977 season.

Plunkett joined the Oakland Raiders as a backup during the 1978 season. He took over as the starter after Dan Pastorini suffered a broken leg in the fifth game in 1980 and he helped lead the Raiders to the Super Bowl title as a wild-card team. In Oakland's 27-10 win over the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl XV, Plunkett completed 13 of 21 passes for 261 yards and 3 touchdowns and was named the game's most valuable player.

http://www.hickoksports.com/biograph/plunkettjim.shtml

Plunkett was one of the highest rated QB's to come out of college and went to a bad team with a poor O line where he was sacked and injured often, 2 teams gave up on him before he joined the Raiders, 7 years after being drafted.

Those days when Al Davis had a brain that actually worked, he built a solid team with a great O line, good running game and good defense. Given 2 years to sit on the bench and recover from the beatings and injuries he took in NE and SF, he regained his form from his college days and went on to win 2 super bowls.

Bill Walsh stated," It takes an average of 4 years to properly develop an NFL QB". Allowing any inexperienced QB to play behind a poor O line usually results in the QB never progressing and ultimately failing completely.

Not only is a good O line important, the offensive scheme is important as are the game plan and the protection packages.

I like Perry Fewell and what he has managed to do with the team Jauron left him... is get his players to compete in every game they are in... despite the crap O line, crap protections, and crap offensive scheme and a rookie play caller, not to mention all the injuries plaguing this team.

I like AVP as well, but this franchise is in desperate need of an experienced offensive mind to properly setup an offense. O line- protections- overhaul the playbook-game plans.

Shanahan would have been the guy, but he might be going to the Redskins. Anyone know a young Sean Payton, perhaps Cam Cameron ...

The Jim Plunkett story was echoed by Tommy Maddox in Pittsburgh too. I actually saw a program where Maddox was selling insurance and had pictures on his wall of his "former" playing days! Bill Cowher COMPLETELY changed his stripes for Tommy Maddox, and started throwing the ball excessively, getting away from the Pittsburgh M.O. of running the ball down peoples throats! Jim Plunkett was also out of football for a time before the Raiders plucked him off the scrap heap, so miracles do happen in the NFL, from time to time!! Your point about a rebuilt O-line and a stout running game and defense are NOT lost on a vast majority of Buffalo Bills fans. We are all hoping that this next front office shuffle will bring about the greatness we all want and long to see!! GO BILLS!!

Winner of the 1970 Heisman Trophy and Maxwell Award as the best college player of the year, Plunkett started at quarterback for two years at Stanford University. He completed 530 of 962 passes for 7,544 yards and 52 touchdowns, becoming the first player ever to account for more than 7,000 yards in passing and in total offense. plunkett_jim.jpgHe joined the NFL's New England Patriots as their first round draft choice in 1971 and was named rookie of the year after completing 156 of 328 attempts for 2,158 yards and 19 touchdowns. That was the beginning of a roller-coaster professional career.

Playing behind a shaky offensive line, the 6-foot-2, 220-pound Plunkett was frequently sacked and suffered a variety of injuries during the next four seasons. In 1976, the Patriots traded him to the San Francisco 49ers, who released him after the 1977 season.

Plunkett joined the Oakland Raiders as a backup during the 1978 season. He took over as the starter after Dan Pastorini suffered a broken leg in the fifth game in 1980 and he helped lead the Raiders to the Super Bowl title as a wild-card team. In Oakland's 27-10 win over the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl XV, Plunkett completed 13 of 21 passes for 261 yards and 3 touchdowns and was named the game's most valuable player.

Plunkett was one of the highest rated QB's to come out of college and went to a bad team with a poor O line where he was sacked and injured often, 2 teams gave up on him before he joined the Raiders, 7 years after being drafted.

Those days when Al Davis had a brain that actually worked, he built a solid team with a great O line, good running game and good defense. Given 2 years to sit on the bench and recover from the beatings and injuries he took in NE and SF, he regained his form from his college days and went on to win 2 super bowls.

Bill Walsh stated," It takes an average of 4 years to properly develop an NFL QB". Allowing any inexperienced QB to play behind a poor O line usually results in the QB never progressing and ultimately failing completely.

Not only is a good O line important, the offensive scheme is important as are the game plan and the protection packages.

I like Perry Fewell and what he has managed to do with the team Jauron left him... is get his players to compete in every game they are in... despite the crap O line, crap protections, and crap offensive scheme and a rookie play caller, not to mention all the injuries plaguing this team.

I like AVP as well, but this franchise is in desperate need of an experienced offensive mind to properly setup an offense. O line- protections- overhaul the playbook-game plans.

Shanahan would have been the guy, but he might be going to the Redskins. Anyone know a young Sean Payton, perhaps Cam Cameron ...

For one Plunkett, there are hundreds of Joey Harringtons, Kyle Bollers, Ryan Leafs, Rex Grossmans, JP Losmans, etc. The exception doesn't make the rule.

Plus (and he was before my time), Plunkett sounds like a stud coming out of Stanford. Most bust QBs don't come close to matching his resume.

For one Plunkett, there are hundreds of Joey Harringtons, Kyle Bollers, Ryan Leafs, Rex Grossmans, JP Losmans, etc. The exception doesn't make the rule.

Plus (and he was before my time), Plunkett sounds like a stud coming out of Stanford. Most bust QBs don't come close to matching his resume.

The main reason most of the QB's you named failed because of a bad team around them, bad O line, bad offensive scheme, bad skill players.

It just goes to show to build the O line first, then grab a QB and skill players. The best current example of what not to do is the Detroit Lions. They kept drafting QB's and WR's with those #1 picks and the team never did get better.

The main reason most of the QB's you named failed because of a bad team around them, bad O line, bad offensive scheme, bad skill players.

It just goes to show to build the O line first, then grab a QB and skill players. The best current example of what not to do is the Detroit Lions. They kept drafting QB's and WR's with those #1 picks and the team never did get better.

Excellent point. Which is why WE need to go with offensive linemen first and foremost in the draft this year. Until we get a real offensive line it doesn't matter who the qb is.

Sure sounds like revisionist history to me. The niners may have given up on him but the Patriots certainly didn't. For those of you too young to remember, the Patriots did not give up on Jim Plunkett. Did they bench him-yes they did-because they decided to try rookie Steve Grogan to go in for a banged up Plunkett and he played well enough for the Pats to market Plunkett for a boatload of picks. Plunkett was so well thought of around the league that the Patriots were able to trade Plunkett for another QB & 4 high draft choices-3 #1s & a #2. 3 ##1s & a #2 + a player is hardly sending a guy to the scrap heap.

I hope the next time the Bills give up on a player that some team gives us 3 #1s a #2 and a player .

Also-if it takes that long to develop a QB, why did Grogan have so much success starting from the middle of his rookie year?

thank God you didnt mention Tent Edwards

Personally, I think they failed because they all were terrible NFL QBs that failed on multiple teams.

Sure sounds like revisionist history to me. The niners may have given up on him but the Patriots certainly didn't. For those of you too young to remember, the Patriots did not give up on Jim Plunkett. Did they bench him-yes they did-because they decided to try rookie Steve Grogan to go in for a banged up Plunkett and he played well enough for the Pats to market Plunkett for a boatload of picks. Plunkett was so well thought of around the league that the Patriots were able to trade Plunkett for another QB & 4 high draft choices-3 #1s & a #2. 3 ##1s & a #2 + a player is hardly sending a guy to the scrap heap.

I hope the next time the Bills give up on a player that some team gives us 3 #1s a #2 and a player .

Also-if it takes that long to develop a QB, why did Grogan have so much success starting from the middle of his rookie year?

The Patriots did indeed give up on Plunkett as they traded him away,even if they did get the farm for him. The Niners released him 2 years later. Did Grogan ever take the Pats to the SB,much less two ?

I would have to think that the damage to Plunkett was already done and he needed time to recover and regain his form. I can only think that the Patriots learned the hard way and started building the O line for Grogan. In 75 the Pats went 3-11, 76 they went 11-3 so all those picks must have helped build that team.

The point of my post was, although I like Perry Fewell and what he has managed to get out of the scrap heap of players available to him... this team is in desperate need of an experienced offensive coordinator or HC who knows how to build a proper offense.

The Bills also traded OJ for some nice picks, kinda makes me wonder if some GM's or FO people were lining their pockets from some of these trades. Like the Minn-Dallas H Walker trade.

Personally, I think they failed because they all were terrible NFL QBs that failed on multiple teams.

Most college QB's that are highly regarded and drafted early fail because the coaches / team / front office are inept. Usually the #1 overall draft pick is going to the worst team in the league and they have some really bad personnel all around to achieve that #1 pick.

I think the fact that Plunkett failed in NE shows that a bad team can ruin a bright young player. Then given time to recover and play behind a good O line and on a good team, they can win.

Most college QB's that are highly regarded and drafted early fail because the coaches / team / front office are inept. Usually the #1 overall draft pick is going to the worst team in the league and they have some really bad personnel all around to achieve that #1 pick.

I think the fact that Plunkett failed in NE shows that a bad team can ruin a bright young player. Then given time to recover and play behind a good O line and on a good team, they can win.

LOL! This is so not true.

I said...

LOL! This is so not true.

LOL! Prove it!

I Say Give Ryan Leaf one more shot! Clearly he just had the wrong supporting cast and was inmature! :wallbash: