Bills need to try and catch lighting in a botttle

billsfan89

OK enough with the delusions of grandeur of a big name guy coming here. I would like a game changing coach BUT rather then go for someones leftovers we need to start thinking about going to hire a up and coming front office person to handle the GM duties and grab a hot shot coordinator to take over this team.

This team just isn't one that is going to attract a big name head coach so why sit around waiting for one to come. If we can get some up and coming guys from other organizations then we can maybe catch lighting in a bottle and get two guys who build an organization the right way.

I am thinking of Tom Heckert as GM (Current pseudo GM for the Eagles) he has done a good job of stacking the Eagles with talent. Now he isn't the top guy in Philly he is working as GM under Andy Reid who has power over him as Reid is president of football operations and Heckert has come close to leaving Philly for a team willing to make him the top dog. I think Heckert could be had if Ralph and Russ are willing to make him GM and give him the position of president of football operations.

As for coach I am thinking of Russ Grimm (He has been talked about before). Grimm has a rep for building offensive lines and is an offensive guy who instills passion into this team. Grimm is currently the O-coordinator for the Cardinals and was the former offensive line coach for the Steelers and he was a finalist for the Head Coaching job when Cower retired (Media reports even had him getting the job mistakenly).

OK enough with the delusions of grandeur of a big name guy coming here. I would like a game changing coach BUT rather then go for someones leftovers we need to start thinking about going to hire a up and coming front office person to handle the GM duties and grab a hot shot coordinator to take over this team.

This team just isn't one that is going to attract a big name head coach so why sit around waiting for one to come. If we can get some up and coming guys from other organizations then we can maybe catch lighting in a bottle and get two guys who build an organization the right way.

I am thinking of Tom Heckert as GM (Current pseudo GM for the Eagles) he has done a good job of stacking the Eagles with talent. Now he isn't the top guy in Philly he is working as GM under Andy Reid who has power over him as Reid is president of football operations and Heckert has come close to leaving Philly for a team willing to make him the top dog. I think Heckert could be had if Ralph and Russ are willing to make him GM and give him the position of president of football operations.

As for coach I am thinking of Russ Grimm (He has been talked about before). Grimm has a rep for building offensive lines and is an offensive guy who instills passion into this team. Grimm is currently the O-coordinator for the Cardinals and was the former offensive line coach for the Steelers and he was a finalist for the Head Coaching job when Cower retired (Media reports even had him getting the job mistakenly).

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I think that landing a "name" is just that, a name. In my opinion, unless it is Cowher...I'll pass. I couldn't be happier to see Shanny go to Washington, and I hope he talks mad s$%t about our team, and gives a young up and comer a little chip on the shoulder.

An interesting note, in regard to our coaching search being announced completely dead approximately 3000 times on this board, in the last week. WE STILL CAN'T TALK TO ANYBODY THAT IS CURRENTLY EMPLOYED WITH AN NFL TEAM. WE CAN TALK TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN FIRED FOR INCOMPETENCE OR THAT HAVE RETIRED BECAUSE THEIR HEYDAY IS BEHIND THEM.

I froze my noots off today, to get that little glimmer of hope at the end, only to have it crushed by the dangling dong of destiny, which is professional (?) football in Buffalo. I will freeze (presumably) my noots off at the Colts game in two weeks, then the train wreck of '09 will be over, and the coaching/GM (the real issue) searches will, hopefully, be in full force.

Go Bills.

Actually he's not the offensive coordinator. He's "Asst. Head Coach/Running Game Coordinator/Offensive Line". Whatever the heck that means...

http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches.html

Grimm doesn't strike me as head coaching material. The more I learn about him, the more he seems like a back seat, wall flower type. I think the Bills need a more dynamic, demonstrative head coach who has a take charge kind of personality. Plus, I'm a little wary of someone who spent 10 years banging heads in the trenches and in that tough as nails division and conference. The NFC during the 80's was frightening.

I started a thread yesterday about the NFL being a passing league. 6 out of the top 10 passing TD leaders are division leading QBs. The other two guys are Palmer and McNabb. While it's great to think of successful football as "establish the run first and play great defense" it's simply not the case in this day and age. They need to find a franchise QB, period end of story.

The more I look at things the more I think the Bills should seriously consider targeting Sam Bradford, sit him for 2010 while building a cohesive line and letting him build up his strength and conditioning for the 2011 season.

Actually he's not the offensive coordinator. He's "Asst. Head Coach/Running Game Coordinator/Offensive Line". Whatever the heck that means...

http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches.html

Grimm doesn't strike me as head coaching material. The more I learn about him, the more he seems like a back seat, wall flower type. I think the Bills need a more dynamic, demonstrative head coach who has a take charge kind of personality. Plus, I'm a little wary of someone who spent 10 years banging heads in the trenches and in that tough as nails division and conference. The NFC during the 80's was frightening.

I started a thread yesterday about the NFL being a passing league. 6 out of the top 10 passing TD leaders are division leading QBs. The other two guys are Palmer and McNabb. While it's great to think of successful football as "establish the run first and play great defense" it's simply not the case in this day and age. They need to find a franchise QB, period end of story.

The more I look at things the more I think the Bills should seriously consider targeting Sam Bradford, sit him for 2010 while building a cohesive line and letting him build up his strength and conditioning for the 2011 season.

Well my point is that the Bills need to try and grab an up and coming coordinator who has the potential to develop into a good head coach. I brought up Grimm but you could substitute his name with a bunch of other up and coming coordinators. I don't want to see Jim Haslet, Mike Martz, or Dennis Green type retreads in here they are nothing more then mediocre.

Also about passing I think in Buffalo you need an good offensive line and 2 power running backs in order to have success. Any QB in Buffalo (or anywhere else) needs to be protected and due to the weather in Buffalo running the ball down the stretch effectively is key. So before they try and get a QB make sure the O-line is in order first.

Well my point is that the Bills need to try and grab an up and coming coordinator who has the potential to develop into a good head coach. I brought up Grimm but you could substitute his name with a bunch of other up and coming coordinators. I don't want to see Jim Haslet, Mike Martz, or Dennis Green type retreads in here they are nothing more then mediocre.

I agree. Though the only retread that might be worth a look is Billick. The Bills job will only have so many takers.

+1, although I'm not sure who the right GM/coach candidates are. But I agree completely with the strategy. Let's steal the next up and coming bright mind from a team with a proven track record for finding talent and move forward. Living in Atlanta, watching what Dimitroff has done with Atlanta (this season's record/injuries aside) has convinced me of that.

You mean like Williams and Mularkey?

You mean like Williams and Mularkey?

Yes but guys other teams actually want. It sucks when you miss on a GM, Coach, or QB because it sets you back 4 years. BUT whats the alternative here. Big name former coaches simply don't want to come here. And the former head coaches that would take the job are nothing more then guys who aren't really going to amount to anything because even at their height they weren't much.

We have to take a chance on those type of hungry coordinator types. I know there are a few guys here high on Mike Leach but even an outside the box hire like that would be better then a Mike Martz type.

I think we need to start with the GM, and let him have control over picking his coach.

Along those lines, I still think Floyd Reese would be a good choice. If Belicheat thinks enough of him to hire him as a "senior advisor", I think the Bills could do a lot worse than hire him for GM!

Sounds like Modrak2 :wallbash:

But I appreciate your research :w00t:

Rather than trying to get lucky with an unproven commodity, I would much rather see the Bills hire a GM and a HC with proven track records of success in the NFL. Casserly and floyd reese come to mind for GM candidates but I am sure there are more. Cowher would be my #1 choice for HC, but that probably isn't happening. I would be happy with Billick or Fassel and even John Fox it he gets canned.

Rather than trying to get lucky with an unproven commodity, I would much rather see the Bills hire a GM and a HC with proven track records of success in the NFL. Casserly and floyd reese come to mind for GM candidates but I am sure there are more. Cowher would be my #1 choice for HC, but that probably isn't happening. I would be happy with Billick or Fassel and even John Fox it he gets canned.

The point is that a lot of the better proven commodities in the league don't want to come to Buffalo. So why go after the second tier head coaching and GM candidates when hungrier and better up and coming candidates are available in winning organizations? Now if John Fox gets canned I would take him but pass on Billick and Fassel they are nothing more then low level retreads.

I think going after hungry guys trying to go out there and trying to proven themselves is a better strategy then going after a guy who might not have the same passion to make a name for themselves because they have done it before.

Sounds like Modrak2 :wallbash:

But I appreciate your research :w00t:

The difference is Tom Heckert has been high up in the Philly Organization for a while now. And Philly has had very successful draft history in recent years. Modrak and Guy have been nothing more then bad for a while now. How they are still employed by this organization is ridiculous and beyond me. I think Heckert is currently more successful in Philly then Modrak ever was at any point.

To me Heckert is the kind of guy that wants to make his own imprint on a team and wants to step out of Andy Reid's shadow in Philly. So while I see the comparison somewhat I think that its unfair.