Onside kick

I agree - it was like someone stuck a balloon with a pin after we recovered the onsides kick. It seemed like Perry Fool just threw in the towel at that point.

As for Maybin, his prolonged holdout probably ruined any chance to be an 'impact player' this season - we'll have to wait until next Fall to see how bad he really sucks. Hopefully, full participation in OTAs, training camp, and preseason make a difference.

I would credit Maybins lack of rookie year production to the fact that he just is not any good - was not any good in college- and simply too small and weak to be an NFL player. If anyone has a connection please PM me - I will fund the steroids and HGH purchase Maybin will need to be a backup in this league. If someone knows his address I will deliver it too.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If maybin gets stronger, he will be strong enough to play linebacker. Right now, he is a man among boys. Absolutely, thoner, he wasnt any good in college. I dont even think anyone thought he was that good in college. In fact, I wonder if Maybin was even taken in good faith.

Maybin will need 30 lbs, a brain transplant, and a couple years worth of experience before he is any good. I understand from a very, very good source his attitude is poor. You pick these things up around town.

Doesn't appear very talented at all. Let's face it, he had 10 productive games in college at a position he doesn't translate to at the NFL level. A questionable selection at best in a draft full of talented LB's that are excelling right now. Maybin has bust written all over him at this point.

that...ladies and gentleman..is the Buffalo Bills at work.

I rewound it and everyone else looked to be on the line at the kick. Maybin? A yard and a half past the line. :oops:

But while everyone slams the dumb rookie, where the *$ is the coaching???

This just in: Bobby April sucks as much as the rest of the Bills organization. Second huge special teams blunder in the final minute against NE this year.

I disagree, KD. There are things that need not be coached. Maybin was right next to Lindell and was looking at Lindell's foot and the ball. I mean c'mon. Why would anyone with any sports sense (let alone football sense) try slowing down at the moment of impact? I'd be behind the kicker and accelerating into my run as he contacted the ball. This is analogous to hockey players attempting to hit the blue line in full stride rather than slowing down to avoid an offside. If someone needs to be coached this, I would suggest that they're too stupid to be a good player.

For some things, coaching is not necessary. Ditto with McKelvin's double brain fart. Secure the ball. Cardinal rule That is the only important thing.

Do professional baseball coaches/managers have to tell their players to hold up on a fly ball? These things are so basic that they transcend coaching on the subterranean end of things. These are not esoteric concepts. If a ten year old committed these mistakes (or their equivalent), I'd be disappointed in him/her.

I think that offsides call was the was incorrect. I dont think his foot came down before the ball was touched, and referees have always given a one yeard cushion, usually a two. I believe that one yard cushion is even in the college rule book.

I believe you are the first and only person to air this opinion. I'd have to look at it again but I don't think you're correct. For one thing, what is the exact wording of the rule? Isn't it possible that its a "plane" issue (and not a foot placement issue) like in goal line, encroachment, and ball spotting situations? Regardless, I thought Maybin was ahead of Lindell. That it is even arguable makes him guilty. Don't go offside. Cardinal rule. Just like you can't touch the goddamn ball until it travels 10 yards. Very basic !@#$ing stuff.

San Jose, I honestly dont remember if it is a plane rule or not. I guess it is if I think about it. For about the last hundred years they have given the player two yards. This year the NFL said the penalty was going to be called more closely. Normally, the foot coming down is what is considered offsides. When the referees do not understand the spirit of the game, the rules must be very precisely written. When they are very precisely written, they are often hard to interpret.

Kickers often stutter step and it is difficult to get in lockstep with them, to refs have always let a little bit of offsides go. it is more important on an onside kick, but it was still a ticky tack foul that didnt belong considering the importance of the play.

I can't believe the board isnt more upset about maybin screwing up the onside kick we recovered. we would have had a shot at tying the game. or is it a consensus that fitz would have just gotten sacked 4 times / thrown and int and the game would have been over anyway.

maybin sucks, why the hell did we draft him? man, this team is hard to watch.

:oops::w00t:

While there is some credibility to the notion that we shouldn't judge him given it's only his first season anyone with half a brain has got to begin to worry at this point.

Part of me wondered if he wasn't getting any playing time under Jauron because of Dick's allegiance to veterans (even when logic dictates otherwise) but Maybin hasn't made a single play other than this blunder since Perry took over. When he is in the game he gets driven all over the field.

My instinct leans toward bust at this point, it would only make sense given the abysmal failures of the front office to achieve success with recent first round picks.

Broken record here but I find it amazing that he hasn't been thrown in as an OLB.

San Jose, I honestly dont remember if it is a plane rule or not. I guess it is if I think about it. For about the last hundred years they have given the player two yards. This year the NFL said the penalty was going to be called more closely. Normally, the foot coming down is what is considered offsides. When the referees do not understand the spirit of the game, the rules must be very precisely written. When they are very precisely written, they are often hard to interpret.

Kickers often stutter step and it is difficult to get in lockstep with them, to refs have always let a little bit of offsides go. it is more important on an onside kick, but it was still a ticky tack foul that didnt belong considering the importance of the play.

Thanks for replying Hossage. I see your points and they are well-expressed.

I put this situation in that category of "don't put the refs in a position to make that call."

I know it's a game of inches but when the downside is a killer offsides penalty, I don't think Maybin should have been flirting with disaster over a couple of inches.

As I said earlier, stay behind the kicker and accelerate upon impact.

edit- I wish we could trust all officials to call all cases similarly. One does wonder if the roles were reversed whether the call would have been made on the Patsies. And this issue of color blindness in officiating ties in with what you said about ticky-tack calls.

While there is some credibility to the notion that we shouldn't judge him given it's only his first season anyone with half a brain has got to begin to worry at this point.

Part of me wondered if he wasn't getting any playing time under Jauron because of Dick's allegiance to veterans (even when logic dictates otherwise) but Maybin hasn't made a single play other than this blunder since Perry took over. When he is in the game he gets driven all over the field.

My instinct leans toward bust at this point, it would only make sense given the abysmal failures of the front office to achieve success with recent first round picks.

Broken record here but I find it amazing that he hasn't been thrown in as an OLB.

He did lay on a 'bone-crushing' hit in last week's Chief's game. Gotta see what he looks next season like after taking part on all the OTAs, training camp, and preseason before we can say 'bust' or not, I think.

I disagree, KD. There are things that need not be coached. Maybin was right next to Lindell and was looking at Lindell's foot and the ball. I mean c'mon. Why would anyone with any sports sense (let alone football sense) try slowing down at the moment of impact? I'd be behind the kicker and accelerating into my run as he contacted the ball. This is analogous to hockey players attempting to hit the blue line in full stride rather than slowing down to avoid an offside. If someone needs to be coached this, I would suggest that they're too stupid to be a good player.

For some things, coaching is not necessary. Ditto with McKelvin's double brain fart. Secure the ball. Cardinal rule That is the only important thing.

Do professional baseball coaches/managers have to tell their players to hold up on a fly ball? These things are so basic that they transcend coaching on the subterranean end of things. These are not esoteric concepts. If a ten year old committed these mistakes (or their equivalent), I'd be disappointed in him/her.

I completely disagree SJ. No, a MLB vet shouldn't need to be told to tag up, yet his 3d base coach reminds him every single time. That is attention to detail and it frequently separates winning from losing. Guys are going to have brain farts in the heat of the battle, it's the job of the coaches to see to it that they have been conditioned in practice to do the smart thing, that they have been conditioned to keep their head in a big spot, and when it's really important, that they have been reminded "They will be going all out for the strip, don't let it happen" or "We're going for the ball, but don't be offsides", or "We don't have any timeouts left, make sure you get out of bounds on this play". Otherwise, what's the point of having coaches during the game? What are those guys being paid to do?

Well I doubt he was drafted for his onside kick coverage abilities. Plus it looked to me like others were offside as well, but I would have to look at it again.

Can't argue with your hard to watch comment though.

Whats even more disturbing is the only time we notice the guy is on special teams. We have a 10 million dollar a year(Don't know it thats how much he makes I just pulled that out of my ass but I know he's expensive) special teams guy. I barely and I mean barely notice him when he's on the field. Even my son gives sarcastic cheers when ever he sees him close to the ball carrier.

We're talking a first round draft choice here, a relatively high one at that. I can buy these arguments for a second rounder or third rounder, but I'd expect the first round choice to be contributing out of the box. Crabtree seems to making an impact despite a holdout. First round draft choice...can't decide whether he is a defensive end or linebacker...in a season where we have a bunch of hurt outside linebackers...screws up on special teams play. Sounds like a typical Buffalo Bills first rounder to me.

i remember throwing stuff at my tv yelling y the f%&* didnt you take orakpo. I would cut him he cant even play on special teams might as well save the money that pile of crap is getting and waste it on someone else. he has no chance in this league i dont care what anyone says about he needs time. even if he needed time he would still show at least a flash of competence. id rather plug moorman in at de then this moron

i remember throwing stuff at my tv yelling y the f%&* didnt you take orakpo. I would cut him he cant even play on special teams might as well save the money that pile of crap is getting and waste it on someone else. he has no chance in this league i dont care what anyone says about he needs time. even if he needed time he would still show at least a flash of competence. id rather plug moorman in at de then this moron

Good point. That's exactly what I've been thinking. To the "he needs 2-3 seasons" crowd, wouldn't you expect to see atleast minor improvements throughout this season? Maybe just baby steps. This guy sucks as much in week 15 as he did in week 1. BUST I tell ya MAJOR BUST and I said it on draft day. Orakpo was a no brainer!

Why be uspet? With that offsides, it helps us get a higher draft pick!

As Maybin goes, he'll be a bust. New coaching staff, learning a new system

will just set him back again. Unless the new staff decides to use him as a

LB, he won't amount to anything as a DE with his size. Don't care about his

great "first step", size matters.

That argument si awful, what the eff has a high draft pick gotten us in the past 10 years. Il take draft pick number 32 thank you!

Good point. That's exactly what I've been thinking. To the "he needs 2-3 seasons" crowd, wouldn't you expect to see atleast minor improvements throughout this season? Maybe just baby steps. This guy sucks as much in week 15 as he did in week 1. BUST I tell ya MAJOR BUST and I said it on draft day. Orakpo was a no brainer!
I agree with this... IIRC, even Erik Flowers made a few plays his rookie year. Maybin just does not look like a pro at all.

He did make a few giant strides offsides. :rolleyes:

I completely disagree SJ. No, a MLB vet shouldn't need to be told to tag up, yet his 3d base coach reminds him every single time. That is attention to detail and it frequently separates winning from losing. Guys are going to have brain farts in the heat of the battle, it's the job of the coaches to see to it that they have been conditioned in practice to do the smart thing, that they have been conditioned to keep their head in a big spot, and when it's really important, that they have been reminded "They will be going all out for the strip, don't let it happen" or "We're going for the ball, but don't be offsides", or "We don't have any timeouts left, make sure you get out of bounds on this play". Otherwise, what's the point of having coaches during the game? What are those guys being paid to do?

KD, I respect you a great deal. So when I say that there's a difference between coaching and babysitting, I'm not taking a cheap shot at your expense. I just think that Maybin's and McKelvin's mistakes fall below the threshold of coachable knowledge. These guys have been playing football for half their lives.

KD, I respect you a great deal. So when I say that there's a difference between coaching and babysitting, I'm not taking a cheap shot at your expense. I just think that Maybin's and McKelvin's mistakes fall below the threshold of coachable knowledge. These guys have been playing football for half their lives.

It was a mental lapse and all players are capable of having them. The problem is it came from a highly touted

1st rounder who has been invisible up to this point. If it was almost anybody else on the team it would be a footnote.

I'm more concerned with Maybin not showing any signs of being able to do some of the things we drafted him for. Even just one explosive play would do wonders for my confidence in him.