Is the job Perrys by default?

zazie

Seems the activity went way down regarding a new HC. Gruden said no, Cowher said no, Shanahan said no, now, Perry just seems that if he does an at all credible job the last few games, is going to be the guy.

Do we have to wait until after the season to interview Grimm?

Seems the activity went way down regarding a new HC. Gruden said no, Cowher said no, Shanahan said no, now, Perry just seems that if he does an at all credible job the last few games, is going to be the guy.

Yes. The Bills coaching search was limited to the unemployed before the end of the season.

Once again...

:lol:

This all rests on whether the Bills select a new GM and what that GM thinks of Fewell. If Fewell stays we must get an experienced OC as the deep problems on the team rest on that side of the ball. If Fewell stays and he keeps the same schemes and staff then he is an idiot.

This all rests on whether the Bills select a new GM and what that GM thinks of Fewell. If Fewell stays we must get an experienced OC as the deep problems on the team rest on that side of the ball. If Fewell stays and he keeps the same schemes and staff then he is an idiot.

These days, you can almost bank on the GM hiring his own coach. A new guy wants to put his stamp on the team, so I really doubt we'd see Fewell around if a new GM/DFO was brought in.

It's not Fewell's job "by default". He's the interim coach, which means he just happened to be in the right position when Jauron was fired. That does give him an opportunity to win the job, but I think we're all hoping a new regime comes in and brings a new scheme and/or builds his own based on the personnel.

Not by a long shot. No matter what happens the last 3 games, I still say Perry has about a 10-15% chance of retaining the job. Ralph needs to save some face and make a big PR move, and unless he is as dumb and senile as it seems, he will hire someone who has been successful as a head coach in the past.

Exactly when did Shanahan say "No"?

I don't think he did ... but

Report: Shanahan, Redskins negotiating

The Redskins and former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan have begun talks over Washington's head-coaching position, The Denver Post has reported, a day after the team hired a new general manager.

The Redskins on Thursday hired Bruce Allen, the son of late Redskins Hall of Fame coach George Allen, after Vinny Cerrato abruptly resigned.

Allen maintained Jim Zorn was still the Redskins' coach.

"Give us some time to see how our relationship develops," Allen said.

The Redskins host the rival New York Giants on Monday night and there's chatter that D Snyder might just find a way to take Chuckie out to dinner.

You can't talk to any coach who is on a team mid-season. The Bills already contacted all the unemployed rock stars. As for Fewell he is just a candidate for the new GM to consider.

PTR

ditto.

we will go with GM first, the right way. The reason they talked to Cowher, Holmgren, Shannahan is those were all potential GM/HC combos. at this point, the bills will be smart, select a GM/DFO and allow him to run the show. The only guy/guys i would think that have a shot of being retained are modrak and buddy nix.

Do you think the Bills will start their HC search after the Super Bowl yet again? :lol:

I suspect it will be mid-January.

I believe that last time Buffalo hired a coach, the rule was still in effect limiting the coaching search to those teams who's season had ended. I think the rule change came during the 2006 season (the first in which Jauron was the head coach) allowing assitants to be interviewed even if their teams were still in the playoffs, as long as they weren't offered the job until the end of their season. Plus, you have to remeber that last time Buffalo changed coaches, it was an unexpected development, as the organization planned to keep Mularkey prior to his surprising resignation.

I admit I'd like to see a development sooner rather than later, but I'm more concerned with getting the right guy for the job. Parcells had to wait 3 weeks to hire Sporano 2 years ago, and that looks like it's working out pretty well so far, so I guess I'm willing to be just as patient.

On the GM front, I'm pulling for either Marc Ross or Dave Gettlemen from the Giants. They both have great track records regarding scouting/personnel and come from the Polian tree, which is good.

And I still have a funny feeling it's going to come down to a race between Leslie Frasier, Mike Zimmer, and Russ Grimm for the coaching job...don't know why, just what I think...

I don't think he did ... but

Report: Shanahan, Redskins negotiating

The Redskins and former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan have begun talks over Washington's head-coaching position, The Denver Post has reported, a day after the team hired a new general manager.

The Redskins on Thursday hired Bruce Allen, the son of late Redskins Hall of Fame coach George Allen, after Vinny Cerrato abruptly resigned.

Allen maintained Jim Zorn was still the Redskins' coach.

"Give us some time to see how our relationship develops," Allen said.

The Redskins host the rival New York Giants on Monday night and there's chatter that D Snyder might just find a way to take Chuckie out to dinner.

I'd almost rather have Shanny sign now so we can focus on getting a personnel guy in here.

I suspect it will be mid-January.

I believe that last time Buffalo hired a coach, the rule was still in effect limiting the coaching search to those teams who's season had ended. I think the rule change came during the 2006 season (the first in which Jauron was the head coach) allowing assitants to be interviewed even if their teams were still in the playoffs, as long as they weren't offered the job until the end of their season. Plus, you have to remeber that last time Buffalo changed coaches, it was an unexpected development, as the organization planned to keep Mularkey prior to his surprising resignation.

I admit I'd like to see a development sooner rather than later, but I'm more concerned with getting the right guy for the job. Parcells had to wait 3 weeks to hire Sporano 2 years ago, and that looks like it's working out pretty well so far, so I guess I'm willing to be just as patient.

On the GM front, I'm pulling for either Marc Ross or Dave Gettlemen from the Giants. They both have great track records regarding scouting/personnel and come from the Polian tree, which is good.

And I still have a funny feeling it's going to come down to a race between Leslie Frasier, Mike Zimmer, and Russ Grimm for the coaching job...don't know why, just what I think...

Both coaches Donahoe hired were very late in the season as well. The trouble being that most of the top assistant coaches available can be gone by that point. The staff Jauron put together was about as green as a fresh mowed fairway in spring.

Do you think the Bills will start their HC search after the Super Bowl yet again? :lol:

It depends if they are targeting a coordinator whose team is in the Super Bowl, duh. Everybody wants a the hot coordinator. They are usually on playoff teams. The problem is you really are sticking your neck out because if they refuse you're screwed.

PTR

• 3 weeks later...