We were 2nd best

ieatcrayonz

During the Super Bowl years you could call us "2nd best" as we made it and lost.

But who was 2nd best, in your opinion, in the AFC over those four years as a whole. We beat the Raiders, Broncos, Dolphins and Chiefs in the championship games. The Oilers were good, the Steelers had moments. Anybody else?

Who do you think was 2nd overall?

During the Super Bowl years you could call us "2nd best" as we made it and lost.

But who was 2nd best, in your opinion, in the AFC over those four years as a whole. We beat the Raiders, Broncos, Dolphins and Chiefs in the championship games. The Oilers were good, the Steelers had moments. Anybody else?

Who do you think was 2nd overall?

Second best? Please...that was one of the most disastrous stretches in franchise history. All that winning completely tanked our draft position for years, causing a lack of talent that led to the mediocre stretch we're currently experiencing.

I'd say Kansas City

Over that 4 year period 3 teams made the playoffs all 4 years.

Bills

Chiefs

Oilers

Over that same 4 year period only 4 teams won more than a single playoff game

Bills

Chiefs 3

Raiders 2 - Missed Playoffs in 92

Dolphins 2 - Only made playoffs twice, knocked out both time by the Bills :thumbsup:

Kansas City was in the playoffs almost every year back then, they even went after Joe Montana to get them to the SB. Too bad they had Marty fail as the head coach.

The Dolphins were in the playoff hunt almost every year it seemed with Dan Marino, I remember a playoff game they lost up in Buffalo and a Dolphin player stated " I can't believe we scored 34 points and still lost" in a 44-34 Bills win. Heck, the Bills even went to Miami for an AFC championship game.

*With Marino at the helm, the Dolphins were perennial playoff contenders, reaching the post-season in 10 of Marino's 17 seasons. In 1992 he made his final appearance in an AFC Championship Game, losing to arch-rival Jim Kelly and the Buffalo Bills, 29-10. Kelly's Bills knocked Marino out of the playoffs three times between 1990 and 1995.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Marino

John Elway and the Bronco's were always in and around the playoffs also it seemed, funny how everyone forgets that it took a dominate ground game and Terrell Davis to finally help win those SB's for him.

Championship games

90-Raiders 51-3 at Buffalo

91-Bronco's 10-7 at Buffalo

92-Dolphins 29-10 at Miami

93-Chiefs 30-13 at Buffalo

If I had to say which team was in the playoffs the most around the same time as Buffalo, it would be the Chiefs. Marty even asked the NFL to change home field for the AFC championship game to a neutral site because of the Buffalo Bills.

I'd say Kansas City

Bills

Chiefs

Oilers

Bills

Chiefs 3

Dolphins 2 - Only made playoffs twice, knocked out both time by the Bills :thumbsup:

K.C. was the only team I can remember fearing as a Bills fan . (AFC of course)

K.C. was the only team I can remember fearing as a Bills fan . (AFC of course)

Really? Interesting ... playing them IN Kansas City, I agree, I feared that ... but to me it was the other teams that were scary because of the Hall of Fame quarterbacks ... it was difficult to ever feel comfortable with Marino or Elway or even Moon on the other side .... I know KC had Montana in 1993 but he was at the end.

Really? Interesting ... playing them IN Kansas City, I agree, I feared that ... but to me it was the other teams that were scary because of the Hall of Fame quarterbacks ... it was difficult to ever feel comfortable with Marino or Elway or even Moon on the other side .... I know KC had Montana in 1993 but he was at the end.

I guess IN K.C. was what I was picturing. I always thought we did well against other great QBs. The Bills defense surrendered alot of yards but sooner or later would get the big play. It seemed like it was only a matter of time with Bruce.

Teams that got after the QB, scared the hell out of me. Pittsburgh towards the end of the Kelly era is another one. I was actually more fearful for Kelly than anything else. He took absolute beatings against K.C. and teams that had good pressure. Kelly was brave too a fault at times.

the Best teams in NFL were San Fran and Buffalo, San Fran never made it to the SB. For best in AFC at that time likely the Raiders in the AFC blowout many had predicted Raiders Winning SB that year

In all of the 90's the best records were held by Buffalo and San Francisco. Believe it or not, Kansas City was next.

I'd say Kansas City

Bills

Chiefs

Oilers

Bills

Chiefs 3

Yep, Oilers consistently racked up points on us and Chiefs owned us at Arrowhead, their overall records were better than Miami. IIRC, Miami was consistently 9-7/10-6 during regular season those years.

Second best? Please...that was one of the most disastrous stretches in franchise history. All that winning completely tanked our draft position for years, causing a lack of talent that led to the mediocre stretch we're currently experiencing.

nice tongue in cheek. But imagine if we had won those 4, we'd be going another ten years. :thumbsup: