Weekly Orakpo vs. Maybin thread

BLZFAN4LIFE

A blind man could have made this pick. Orakpo was the clear cut no brainer that our front office had no brains to make.

Agreed, people can stop making excuses for Maybin. At least half of us on this board were SCREAMING for Orakpo on draft day. You did not need a background in scouting to realize that. Our front office failed. I give them props for Byrd but they failed miserably on Maybin. You can't blow the 11th pick like that. If both men (Orakpo & Maybin) stay healthy for the next 10 yrs, Orakpo will have had the much more productive career.

*sigh*

Okay, let me go ahead and do this then. Since we're bringing up who we should have drafted, lets do another comparison.

Stats through Week 14:

Jairus Byrd: 45 tackles, (33 solo, 12 assists) 11 passes defended and 9 INTs.

Everette Brown: 16 tackles (12 solo, 4 assists) 2 passes defended and 1.5 sacks.

Now I'll grant you that as it appears right now we totally screwed up our first rounder by not taking a more proven commodity like Orakpo or Cushing instead of a project like Maybin, if we listened to the fans we would have passed on Byrd in the second.

I shudder to think what we would be like with a few simple changes in our drafting these past couple of years. Drafting Ngata instead of Whitner. Outbidding Miami for the services of LDE Cameron Wake. And drafting Orakpo instead of Maybin.

That's a scary defensive line.

Meh, had they been with us it had been an scary amount of $$$ sitting on IR.... :/

*sigh*

Okay, let me go ahead and do this then. Since we're bringing up who we should have drafted, lets do another comparison.

Stats through Week 14:

Jairus Byrd: 45 tackles, (33 solo, 12 assists) 11 passes defended and 9 INTs.

Everette Brown: 16 tackles (12 solo, 4 assists) 2 passes defended and 1.5 sacks.

Now I'll grant you that as it appears right now we totally screwed up our first rounder by not taking a more proven commodity like Orakpo or Cushing instead of a project like Maybin, if we listened to the fans we would have passed on Byrd in the second.

Compare Everette Brown with Maybin instead of Byrd (DE vs DE instead of DE vs. S). But your point is everyone here wanted Everette Brown instead of Byrd. Reason we wanted Brown was we passed on Orakpo, had we taken Orakpo we'd prolly wanted best available OG there.

You have to give props to the Redskins coaching staff. Initially they didn't feel that Orakpo couldn't not provide any improvement as a DE but they wanted to get their best athletes on the field so they moved him to OLB. At OLB he got the reps needed to improve. Now you are seeing a much different Orakpo in the latter part of the season.

The Broncos did something simlar with Ayers. Doesn't seem as though our coaches feel that approach will work.

I like the way the Redskins found a way to get Orakpo on the field. Thats how players develop.

If our new coach ends up running a 4-3, then your OLB is still an edge rusher in most situations and needs to have enough leverage to beat NFL tackles.

Im worried about Maybins leverage. If you don't have any, then you get pushed upfield and not only are you a non-factor in the pass rush, but you're too far upfield to do anything including stop the run or even a QB scramble.

Our front 7 on defense is WAY to light on average. Our DT's are ok, but our ends and OLB's are just not enough.

On another note, Palmer had some scary hits yesterday. That guy seems like he has some potential. At least as a special teams beast and solid backup next year.