Gill the new Kansas coach

H2o

On the one hand, I'm happy for him, but on the other - as a UB alum - I'm disappointed he didn't choose to stay and try to build a great program that might have a shot at moving into a BCS conference in five or ten years. There's not much loyalty in college football anymore, on either side. It's disheartening.

Does this mean that I don't have to hear about him on this board ever again?

Now that he has absolutely no affiliations with WNY...

The reason you heard about him on this board is that he brought respect to Buffalo football. The Bills organization brought ridicule, Gill brought respect. His years at UB should be a springboard for better years to come.

On the one hand, I'm happy for him, but on the other - as a UB alum - I'm disappointed he didn't choose to stay and try to build a great program that might have a shot at moving into a BCS confernce in five or ten years. There's not much loyalty in college football anymore, on either side. It's disheartening.

You must be high!! :lol: Stay at a school for 5 to 10 years to build a program? That is what High School coaches do. I'm happy for Turner and will root for Kansas on the side as long as he is there. Got to ask this, would you turn down a big raise, with guaranteed cash, in these times, to stay at a a super low level business when a much larger competitor was recruiting you? I appreciate loyalty as much as the next guy but, this is like Nike going after an exec at Keds!

You must be high!! :lol: Stay at a school for 5 to 10 years to build a program? That is what High School coaches do. I'm happy for Turner and will root for Kansas on the side as long as he is there. Got to ask this, would you turn down a big raise, with guaranteed cash, in these times, to stay at a a super low level business when a much larger competitor was recruiting you? I appreciate loyalty as much as the next guy but, this is like Nike going after an exec at Keds!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Good post.

No one was going to say that. I think sometimes you guys overplay the fanboy mentality on this site.

Actually, I was mocking the reaction of the news about Gill compared to the 17 threads whining about Brian Kelly. I thought my sarcasm was pretty obvious.

Coaches are no different than any other employee. They have every right to go take a better job elsewhere if they want to and don't 'owe' anything to their existing school. I wish Gill the best of luck.

i think the biggest problem with the kelly situation is the fact that he is 'jumping ship' with allegedly their biggest game yet to be played, after assuring his players that he would be there for them......Gill's season is done....

i think another popular argument is that coaches can come and go as they please, but players have to sit out a season if they choose to leave...even if a coach is fired for violations, the violations do not follow the coach, they stay with the team he screwed...i heard an interesting alternative the other day....if a coach leaves any player has a 30 day window to decide to do the same, same rules about official visits etc, without penalty of sitting out a year.....after that 30 day window, all bets are off.....

Actually, I was mocking the reaction of the news about Gill compared to the 17 threads whining about Brian Kelly. I thought my sarcasm was pretty obvious.

Coaches are no different than any other employee. They have every right to go take a better job elsewhere if they want to and don't 'owe' anything to their existing school. I wish Gill the best of luck.

i think the biggest problem with the kelly situation is the fact that he is 'jumping ship' with allegedly their biggest game yet to be played, after assuring his players that he would be there for them......Gill's season is done....

Unfortunately, this is the system the NCAA and BCS have created. The ND job would not have been available to Kelly in January. It was now or never so he had to make a difficult choice. I'll reiterate from another thread; if college football didn't have a month long layoff just to get those high TV ratings over New Year's weekend, and if there was an actual championship for Cincinnati to play for, than this wouldn't have happened. As it is, he decided a five year deal for his dream job was more important than one game where the best he could hope for was to finish #2 and be completely ignored for that accomplishment.

i think another popular argument is that coaches can come and go as they please, but players have to sit out a season if they choose to leave...even if a coach is fired for violations, the violations do not follow the coach, they stay with the team he screwed...i heard an interesting alternative the other day....if a coach leaves any player has a 30 day window to decide to do the same, same rules about official visits etc, without penalty of sitting out a year.....after that 30 day window, all bets are off.....

Whether or not the current system is fair to players is a valid issue for debate, but that's totally irrelevant to the issue at hand. Coaches don't make the NCAA rules, why should they be punished just because the players have a bum deal?

pretty sure i heard that Brian Kelly told Dan Patrick that if Cincinnati was playing for the 'National Championship' he still would have taken the ND job and not coached in the game....i think the NCAA needs to address the issue of recruiting until after all games have been played.... i think this would alleviate some of the problems of coaches leaving like this....

Unfortunately, this is the system the NCAA and BCS have created. The ND job would not have been available to Kelly in January. It was now or never so he had to make a difficult choice. I'll reiterate from another thread; if college football didn't have a month long layoff just to get those high TV ratings over New Year's weekend, and if there was an actual championship for Cincinnati to play for, than this wouldn't have happened. As it is, he decided a five year deal for his dream job was more important than one game where the best he could hope for was to finish #2 and be completely ignored for that accomplishment.

Whether or not the current system is fair to players is a valid issue for debate, but that's totally irrelevant to the issue at hand. Coaches don't make the NCAA rules, why should they be punished just because the players have a bum deal?

he was 10 games below .500 during his tenure ar UB, he basically had one good season there....I wouldnt make him the next Lombardi yet

Considering UB was something like 3-200 before he showed up, I'd say 10-20 and a conference title is impressive.

PTR

On the one hand, I'm happy for him, but on the other - as a UB alum - I'm disappointed he didn't choose to stay and try to build a great program that might have a shot at moving into a BCS conference in five or ten years. There's not much loyalty in college football anymore, on either side. It's disheartening.

I get what you're saying but it is completely unrealistic. Coaching is a profession in which you are consistently challenging yourself. You take steps along the ladder to get to the top of the profession. Gill has worked hard to get himself into a major coaching job. As someone who knows him, he is a great guy and deserves this opportunity. i have no doubts he will be succesful.

And for those doubting Gill's abilites, how quickly you forget how bad UB was. They were arguably the worst DI team in the country. The school now is putting guys into the pros and is seen as a place for big time football. Gill's job will make it easier to get a bigger name coach. For anyone, if you can honestly say you left a place in better shape than when you came there, you did a great job. Gill has and I wish him nothing but the best.