TD's biggest mistakes most recent

jahbonas

TD's biggest mistakes are very recent.

Namely:

Giving Bledsoe a big new contract which should have had much of the bonus money paid after this season AFTER we got a look at him in this system. This mistake kills us for millions when/if we cut him after the season. It also delayed the process of moving forward another year. Bledsoe will never win a road playoff game in his lifetime.

Not signing LG Pete Kendall who signed with the Jets. LG has been a swinging gate for us all year...this was/and still is a need. Did we not do this because the money TD gave to Drew??

Not doing what it takes to keep Dick Lebeau. Look at the blitzing packages the Steelers employ. It was an absolute JOKE to have Lebeau answer to Jerry Gray last year. Gray should have been fird and replaced by an obvious better coach who had 30 years experience. Its business !! Gray by comparison is a babe in the woods. You think Lebeau felt snubbed by not being given full control???

Not moving up to acquire Big Ben..we needed a QB...offering a 3rd or 4th to move up 2 spots to acquire Big Ben easily could have been done. He was there for the taking..we had a great need..TD did not identify Big Ben for the talent he is. Instead we end up paying a higher price to get Losman. (I like both Losman & Evans...but they came at a high price)

TD refused to admit Bledsoe trade was a mistake...the game has passed this slow-reading QB by. He has not been effective since Ben Coates retired.

If he admitted his mistake..we cut Bledsoe with no cap hit.

We likely are more aggressive to land Big Ben.

We then still have our #1 next year, a lot of cap money...and would need a speed WR.

Guest john from CT

It's easy to look back and be critical:

(1) everybody seemed happy when Bledsoe renegotiated his contract 4 months ago - elminated the $7 million option that would have hit this month.

(2) Kendall was cut, thus was a free agent. Maybe we pursued him and he wasn't interested. There are 31 other teams in the league pursuing free agents.

(3) It would have been easy to move up 2 spots and it would have only cost us a 3rd or a 4th? That's ridiculous on two fronts: (1) moving up in the first, no matter how few spots, costs an extravagent price, at least a 2nd; (2) TD has said quite a few times that they tried to move up, but, Jax didn't want to (wanted to draft Williams there) and Atl wouldn't (afraid the Jets would take the cb they wanted). TD would have loved to steal Ben from his old team (Pit), so, I'm sure he did everything he could to move up. It's easy to say we should have got Ben now, but, who knew back then he'd be this good.

(4) Lebeau is good, but, what's wrong with Gray? The Bills have the 5th rated defense, Gray is young and up-and-coming and Lebeau is near the end (he'll retire soon).

I'll never forgive TD for not doing what it took to get Big Ben. Even this poster knew that Ben was not only the best QB in the draft but he should have been the #1 overall pick, period, end of story. This is not revisionist history....I said the same thing a year before the 2004 draft. Not only is the Big guy mobile, but he is tremendously accurate...and that is something you could easily see in his college play. I think TD made a half-hearted attempt to jump ahead of Pitt but don't tell me Houston or Jax would not have taken a sweet deal. Dunta Robinson and Reggie Williams would have been on the board at #13 for them.

I like Lee and JP but right now, JP has a Loooong way to go before he is in the class of Big Ben. A real long way!

It's posts like the last one that drive rational people away from this board. You have ZERO basis for determining that TD made a 'half-hearted' attempt to jump ahead of Pitt.

And just how much of a sweet deal are you willing to give up for an unproven college player? I know - let's throw in Spikes and Moulds if we have to... I'm sure they'd go for that.

A deal did not get done. To me that's means it was half-hearted. To move up 3 slots would not have cost us the moon. Yes we would not have been able to get Lee Evans but we would have gotten the best player who inexplicably dropped to #11. If this is my one "irrational" post then so be it. I've seen a lot worse on this board.

(3) It would have been easy to move up 2 spots and it would have only cost us a 3rd or a 4th?  That's ridiculous on two fronts: (1) moving up in the first, no matter how few spots, costs an extravagent price, at least a 2nd; (2) TD has said quite a few times that they tried to move up, but, Jax didn't want to (wanted to draft Williams there) and Atl wouldn't (afraid the Jets would take the cb they wanted). TD would have loved to steal Ben from his old team (Pit), so, I'm sure he did everything he could to move up.  It's easy to say we should have got Ben now, but, who knew back then he'd be this good.

124694[/snapback]

After the draft, I reflected on this...

We should have picked Losman with our 1st pick and then could have got our WR

later in the 1st round (at a less price to pay, because we might have been

less pressurized) as the WR was pretty deep in this draft.

(3) It would have been easy to move up 2 spots and it would have only cost us a 3rd or a 4th?  That's ridiculous on two fronts: (1) moving up in the first, no matter how few spots, costs an extravagent price, at least a 2nd; (2) TD has said quite a few times that they tried to move up, but, Jax didn't want to (wanted to draft Williams there) and Atl wouldn't (afraid the Jets would take the cb they wanted). TD would have loved to steal Ben from his old team (Pit), so, I'm sure he did everything he could to move up.  It's easy to say we should have got Ben now, but, who knew back then he'd be this good.

124694[/snapback]

moving up a couple spots in the 1st prolly would have cost less than what we gave dallas for their pick

I know Big Ben has had a tremendous year so far...But I'd still want Losman/Evans over just Ben....

I think people are giving up to early on Losman because of 5 plays in garbage time against NE......

I'm willing to bet Losman will give this offense a much needed spark when he gets his oppurtunity to start(betting @Miami)....

I know Big Ben has had a tremendous year so far...But I'd still want Losman/Evans over just Ben....

I think people are giving up to early on Losman because of 5 plays in garbage time against NE......

125054[/snapback]

No One has given up on Losman yet. We all know he could be the 2nd coming of Jim Kelly if things fall the right way for him. We all hope and pray that he is. My argument about Ben was that he WAS a sure thing. A no brainer. Now he's proven that to be correct.

(1) everybody seemed happy when Bledsoe renegotiated his contract 4 months ago - elminated the $7 million option that would have hit this month.

(2) Kendall was cut, thus was a free agent.  Maybe we pursued him and he wasn't interested.  There are 31 other teams in the league pursuing free agents.

(4) Lebeau is good, but, what's wrong with Gray?  The Bills have the 5th rated defense, Gray is young and up-and-coming and Lebeau is near the end (he'll retire soon).

124694[/snapback]

Who was this "EVERYBODY WAS HAPPY"?? when Bledsoe resigned??? A big chunk of the bonus should have been a roster bonus after this season...it cost RW and the Bills millions for this mistake. Many thought Bledsoe should be cut...cut the chord and move away from this loser of a QB.

Enormous amount to move up in NFL draft?? you do not understand the current draft and cap. A team picking at 10 would love to get the same guy at 13 in order to pay him LESS money. Picking up an extra 4th in the process is gravy. Remember when we had the 4th pick and could not find anyone to trade up a bit???? Nobody in the 6th thru 10 slots wished to pay 4th overall money....

124694[/snapback]

:D:D:D Everybody? Bledsoe should of been cut June 1st. Hell we should of never traded for that chump. I never wanted Drew here ever

124694[/snapback]

Well...I definitely was not part of that "everybody" group...

Worst decision TD has made to date in my mind...To be free of Bledsoe with no Cap ramifications was akin to stealing if you ask me...Almost too good to be true...And TD blew it...

There were plenty of Folks right here on TSW that were dead set against keeping Drew under any Contract...I still can't believe TD did it... :D

Well...I definitely was not part of that "everybody" group...

Worst decision TD has made to date in my mind...To be free of Bledsoe with no Cap ramifications was akin to stealing if you ask me...Almost too good to be true...And TD blew it...

There were plenty of Folks right here on TSW that were dead set against keeping Drew under any Contract...I still can't believe TD did it... :D

125634[/snapback]

That STUDID, STUPID, ARROGANT decision probably put the Bills back another 3 years. The Bills fans I associate with thought the Bledsoe extention was as brainless as his RJ choice.