Bills to blow it all up

goynahan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the link to this? Oh yeah I forgot you do not have one because you just made it up. I can not wait until Manning retires & see all the fairweather Indy Colt fans balk at paying all those high ticket prices in that overpriced oil can you guys call a stadium. Enjoy Manning now, because is not going to play forever & as bills fans could attest to, it is not that easy to replace a franchise qb. Without manning this year, the Colts are a 6-10 team.

Wow.. At least I wont be bitter and angry and hateful.

And I will enjoy Peyton Manning for how ever many years he has left.

In terms of high ticket prices I am on the 45 and I pay 64 bucks a seat.

And I fully understand the difficulty of replacing a franchise QB. Not many teams have had 2 hall of fame QBs. The Colts have if and only if you count Johnny Unitas.

First off, thanks for the summary.

Secondly, let's keep in mind that Dungy is NOT a GM.

And before we go and hand him the keys to Bills land (and Brown gives him a key to the city- from Owens), let's remember that it was Dungy AND former Tampa GM Bruce Allen that turned the perennial punching bag Bucs into an eventual Super Bowl winner.

There was a rumor that flashed quickly about 2 months ago that the Bills were interested in Bruce Allen as GM.

Now, if we got both men, I would be all for it.

As far as Vick is concerned, on the one hand Dungy acting as Vick's mentor would most likely translate well to a coach/ player relationship. On the other hand, I really don't want Michael Vick so much as sniffing a dog park in WNY, let alone be given the role of starting QB for the Bills.

The difficult thing is that he may be the best option available for teams this offseason as a possible free agent/ trade.

Personally, I feel Jeff Garcia has got to have 2 seasons left in him. Once Owens vacates OBD, Garcia would be a much more interesting option IMO that would give us a couple of seasons to find/ groom a replacement.

But please, please, PLEASE let it be Allen AND Dungy. And no Vick.

Actually it was former Bucs GM Rich McKay that provided most of the pieces & many were in place when Dungy arrived. That said, I would be VERY HAPPY with Allen & Dungy. Dungy's only failure in Tampa was he never hired a GOOD OC. If he had, the Bucs would have won three or four Super Bowls.

Wow.. At least I wont be bitter and angry and hateful.

And I will enjoy Peyton Manning for how ever many years he has left.

In terms of high ticket prices I am on the 45 and I pay 64 bucks a seat.

And I fully understand the difficulty of replacing a franchise QB. Not many teams have had 2 hall of fame QBs. The Colts have if and only if you count Johnny Unitas.

I DOUBT Johnny U will EVER come to Indy to take part in any ceremony to celebrate his accomplishments.

Yep, Dungy's so great that as soon as he left, his team is going to go undefeated to the SB being coached by the bus driver.

Dungy has famously struggled to maximize the potential of teams absolutely loaded with talent. What can he do for the Bills?

He would never take the job--why would he tip over the house of cards that his reputation is built on?

I am not a Dungy fan, but in all fairness, he helped set the stage for this, just as Butch Davis set the stage for Larry Coker's championship season.

Dungy took the Bucs from doormat to perennial playoff contender. Gruden won a superbowl with Dungy's players. I think I would be pretty satisfied with a guy who has a proven record of winning.

Gruden won a Super Bowl with Rich McKays & Bruce Allens players.

Dungy won a Super Bowl with Bill Polians players.

ALL THREE are VERY GOOD GM's. THAT should be the Bills FIRST priority.

We need a GM first and though Dungy might be the GM instead of coaching, either way we'd be stuck with the boring Tampa 2 defense (along with P. Fewell). That to me is NOT blowing up this franchise and starting over. We need a football mind at the top who brings in toughness, cold weather ball. This is not Tampa and we don't have a dome.

We can't fire Ralph

I don't either.

I think that it stems from the Buc fan base voicing displeasure when Dungy was head coach that for as good as Tampa was in getting to the playoffs every season and owning their division, that his teams were kind of 'Marty-esque' in that once in the playoffs, they always went nowhere.

That is why Tampa management went wild and traded some 1st round picks to Oakland to get their paws on Gruden- who, as history shows, actually advanced Tampa to become Super Bowl Champs. Now, some argue that it was this change in attitude that was needed (Dungy is too passive, Gruden is in-your-face, aggressive), and there is some validity to that.

But Dungy has Indy to fall back on. He got Indy to a Super Bowl and also won one.

So for all of the naysayers of Dungy based on his Tampa experience, I say Indy is his vindicator.

But I would want Bruce Allen at GM to complement him.

:rolleyes:

Yep, Dungy's so great that as soon as he left, his team is going to go undefeated to the SB being coached by the bus driver.

Dungy has famously struggled to maximize the potential of teams absolutely loaded with talent. What can he do for the Bills?

He would never take the job--why would he tip over the house of cards that his reputation is built on?

:rolleyes:

oh yeah, Tony Dungy is a terrible coach. Compared with who we've had running our team, Dungy would be a huge improvment. That said, there is no way he'd come out of retirement for a team like the Bills.

Coaching Results

Glossary · CSV · PRE

Year Age Tm Lg G W L T W-L% G plyf W plyf L plyf W-L% Rank Notes

1996 41 Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFL 16 6 10 0 .375 4

1997 42 Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFL 16 10 6 0 .625 2 1 1 .500 2

1998 43 Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFL 16 8 8 0 .500 3

1999 44 Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFL 16 11 5 0 .688 2 1 1 .500 1

2000 45 Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFL 16 10 6 0 .625 1 0 1 .000 2

2001 46 Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFL 16 9 7 0 .563 1 0 1 .000 3

2002 47 Indianapolis Colts NFL 16 10 6 0 .625 1 0 1 .000 2

2003 48 Indianapolis Colts NFL 16 12 4 0 .750 3 2 1 .667 1

2004 49 Indianapolis Colts NFL 16 12 4 0 .750 2 1 1 .500 1

2005 50 Indianapolis Colts NFL 16 14 2 0 .875 1 0 1 .000 1

2006 51 Indianapolis Colts NFL 16 12 4 0 .750 4 4 0 1.000 1 Super Bowl Champions

2007 52 Indianapolis Colts NFL 16 13 3 0 .813 1 0 1 .000 1

2008 53 Indianapolis Colts NFL 16 12 4 0 .750 1 0 1 .000 2

13 yrs 208 139 69 0 .668 19 9 10 .474 1.8 Avg Finish

7 yrs IND 112 85 27 0 .759 13 7 6 .538 1.3

6 yrs TAM 96 54 42 0 .563 6 2 4 .333 2.5

Games over .500: 70

Super Bowl Wins: 1

Overall Championships: 1

Conference Championships: 1

Division Championships: 6

I don't either.

I think that it stems from the Buc fan base voicing displeasure when Dungy was head coach that for as good as Tampa was in getting to the playoffs every season and owning their division, that his teams were kind of 'Marty-esque' in that once in the playoffs, they always went nowhere.

That is why Tampa management went wild and traded some 1st round picks to Oakland to get their paws on Gruden- who, as history shows, actually advanced Tampa to become Super Bowl Champs. Now, some argue that it was this change in attitude that was needed (Dungy is too passive, Gruden is in-your-face, aggressive), and there is some validity to that.

But Dungy has Indy to fall back on. He got Indy to a Super Bowl and also won one.

So for all of the naysayers of Dungy based on his Tampa experience, I say Indy is his vindicator.

But I would want Bruce Allen at GM to complement him.

As a Bucs fan, the problem Dungy had in Tampa was not the attitude of the team, his players ALL loved him. The problem was he NEVER hired a GOOD OC. Gruden FINALLY brought an offense to Tampa, that is the reason Tampa won the Super Bowl. When Polian hired Dungy, he told him he would have NO SAY on the offensive side of the ball.

I would be very happy if the Bills hired Dungy, just know a GOOD GM & OC are also needed. Can AVP be a good OC? I don't know, what do you guys think.

<_<

oh yeah, Tony Dungy is a terrible coach. Compared with who we've had running our team, Dungy would be a huge improvment. That said, there is no way he'd come out of retirement for a team like the Bills.

How many times are we going to go through the same song? :rolleyes: Tony Dungy is smart and has an impressive record. As are Cowher, Shannahan, Holmgren and several others. But none of them, and no superstar coordinators are interested in the Buffalo job. The Bills are NOT going to blow it all up. There is no reason to do so, because so many fans still believe things will get better. There will be a new coaching staff. End of story.

Don't look now, but your Cheatriot*-colored glasses are showing again. Have fun crying yourself to sleep the rest of the year, as the Patsies* circle the toilet bowl of the playoffless before plopping in for a second year in a row. Don't worry, you'll get used to it. I know we have....

For the life of me, I will never figure out the irrational hatred that Pats* fans have for Tony Dungy, who the rest of the "normal" world views as an honest, decent, hardworking, intelligent, upstanding guy who can coach. The Hatorade that Pats* fans show him is just bizarre.

Don't look now, but your Cheatriot*-colored glasses are showing again. Have fun crying yourself to sleep the rest of the year, as the Patsies* circle the toilet bowl of the playoffless before plopping in for a second year in a row. Don't worry, you'll get used to it. I know we have....

For the life of me, I will never figure out the irrational hatred that Pats* fans have for Tony Dungy, who the rest of the "normal" world views as an honest, decent, hardworking, intelligent, upstanding guy who can coach. The Hatorade that Pats* fans show him is just bizarre.

It will be fun to watch the fans jump off the Pats* bandwagon the next few years.

How many times are we going to go through the same song? :rolleyes: Tony Dungy is smart and has an impressive record. As are Cowher, Shannahan, Holmgren and several others. But none of them, and no superstar coordinators are interested in the Buffalo job. The Bills are NOT going to blow it all up. There is no reason to do so, because so many fans still believe things will get better. There will be a new coaching staff. End of story.

I was actually being sarcastic. I'd love to have Dungy involved the Bills. He's a great coach a class act. But I agree, he's probably not interested.

well yeah, if you want to look at past success as an indicator of being successful. don't forget, he had _______ (insert name here).

Who did he have on offense in Tampa that was so great? Keyshawn? He built the defense to a championship caliber. Gruden came in and did the offensive work. What was lacking in Indy? Defense. What did Dungy build in Indy while allowing an excellent OC to run the "O"? The defense. Get Dungy and what will we have here in Buffalo? An excellent defense. That leaves the need for a top notch GM and an OC like Weis or someone else with a proven track record to run the "O". Championship. :rolleyes:

Except for when he--you know--took a 6-10 team and brought them to the playoffs in 4 of the next 5 seasons. But you're right, that 6-10 team was loaded with talent and should've won the Superbowl.

And then there's the matter of him actually--you know--winning the Superbowl in Indy, which was sparked by the team's outstanding defensive play in the playoffs, which wasn't what got them there. But hey, I'm sure that out-of-nowhere defensive performance for 3 consecutive playoff games was Dungy mis-managing his talent again.

Actually, "that 6-10" team was 10-6 the year before. And 13-3 the year before that. Manning, James, Harrison. Anyway, no I didn't think that team should have won a SB, sport. But at least two other Dungy Colts teams should have.

Dungy "coached" the Colts to 7 straight playoff years. In 4 of those years, they went "one and done", despite having the most consistently outstanding offensive machine of that period, despite mowing through their schedule--winning 12-14 games year after years. This includes the past two seasons.

Their defenses were ranked #2 in '05, #1 in '07 and #7 in '08-- to go along with top offenses. No SBs those years--in fact, not one playoff win. Those were the years before and after he somehow got out of the way and let them win a SB in '06.

Same thing in Tampa--two straight years losing the WC game (BOTH TIMES to the same team). Then Gruden walks in and----SB win.

Now Dungy's gone and the Colts are the best, toughest team in the NFL. Caldwell's some stiff (a "unblinking mannequin" as someone posted here) they dressed up and threw headphones on. Who's the OC on that team? Who cares? Manning runs that team---he has for years.

You can keep Tony. Don't bring him here. Useless for team like the Bills.

Actually, "that 6-10" team was 10-6 the year before. And 13-3 the year before that. Manning, James, Harrison. Anyway, no I didn't think that team should have won a SB, sport. But at least two other Dungy Colts teams should have.

Dungy "coached" the Colts to 7 straight playoff years. In 4 of those years, they went "one and done", despite having the most consistently outstanding offensive machine of that period, despite mowing through their schedule--winning 12-14 games year after years. This includes the past two seasons.

Their defenses were ranked #2 in '05, #1 in '07 and #7 in '08-- to go along with top offenses. No SBs those years--in fact, not one playoff win. Those were the years before and after he somehow got out of the way and let them win a SB in '06.

Same thing in Tampa--two straight years losing the WC game (BOTH TIMES to the same team). Then Gruden walks in and----SB win.

Now Dungy's gone and the Colts are the best, toughest team in the NFL. Caldwell's some stiff (a "unblinking mannequin" as someone posted here) they dressed up and threw headphones on. Who's the OC on that team? Who cares? Manning runs that team---he has for years.

Who would be your choice to Coach the Bills?

Actually it was former Bucs GM Rich McKay that provided most of the pieces & many were in place when Dungy arrived. That said, I would be VERY HAPPY with Allen & Dungy. Dungy's only failure in Tampa was he never hired a GOOD OC. If he had, the Bucs would have won three or four Super Bowls.

I was working in Tampa during the transition period you are discussing

Actually it was Dungy that put the key pieces of that team together. Rich was the GM prior to Tony arriving and could never do anything better than a 6-10 record. Tony led the effort to rejuvinate the defense by drafting Warren Sapp who was somewhat blacklisted because of character issues. The best move McKay made was hiring Dungy. That was it.

How'd Jon Boy do AFTER that SB win with the Bucs (with Dungy's team)? 7-9 and then 5-11 if I recall correctly, before having one more good year and several bad to mediocre ones......