It's Official, Clausen Entering The Draft

H2o

Maybe if he was Jim Clausen, like Jim Kelly. But Jimmy... I don't know if I like that.

Ha. Too funny.

I used to work in and around auto body shops. It's amazing how many gruff, tough appearing dudes in attitude have kitty-cat, 5 year-old boy names like Jimmy, Billy, Johnny, Timmy, Bobby....

:devil:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen Locker play 6 or 7 times in the last couple of years. Good athlete. Decent pocket presence. Inconsistently accurate. Seems to have good command of the huddle and is the leader of the offense. Doesn't have the strongest of arms, but it's alright. Not ready and should stay for his Senior year.

It's commonly in the 40's from mid October on, colder in the night games at home of course, in South Bend. It's along the same lines of what Pike has played in while at Cincy. Nothing like the firgid temps they have down there at TTU though where the genius resides. :devil:

Well, 'the genius' has also resided at Oklahoma, Kentucky, and Iowa - but that's irrelevant since I'm not proposing he should be the Bills QB!

Jimmy's November games in 2007 included a loss to Air Force at home on 11/10/07 - temp range 27/47, and a win against Duke on 11/17, before moving on to sunny Palo Alto to beat Stanford on 11/24.

A quick check shows me that Wanker-Punk played Pittsburgh in South Bend on 11/1/08 - the temp range in South Bend was 43/59 - and Syracuse on 11/22/08 - temp range 11/28. He lost both games. So much for 'cold-weather tested - he failed. He also lost a night game at BC on 11/8/08 - temp was in the 60's that afternoon, but don't know what it was at game time. Presumably it was a but warmer in Annapolis when he beat Navy on 11/22/08, but even a return to sunny SoCal couldn't save him against USC on 11/29. I'll presume it was fairly warm in Honolulu on Christmas Eve, when he beat Hawaii.

This past November had Jimmy playing (and losing) in South Bend on November 7th (lost to Navy - temp range 49/70) and November 22 (lost to Connecticut - temp range 32/56), before moving on to sunny Palo Alto to lose to Stanford on November 28th.

And lets not forget Jimmy's biggest November loss this year...

Wanker-Punk Starts Bar Fight: Gets His Ass Kicked

(FYI, temp in South Bend that night was in the mid-30s :lol: )

Clausen, cold-weather tested???? Hardly.

There was a thread a little while back about Parcells' QB requirements. I'm not sure I can recall them all, but wasn't one of them - he had to graduate college (along with 30ish starts, winning record). Now, I'm not one to say Parcells is always right, but he has been associated with a few decent QBs over the years. So, maybe he knows a little more than me.

With that in mind, should that lower Clausen's stock at all? Seeing as how QB is the most important position on the team and we've been looking for one for 15 years, it seems like we'd want to do al we could to draft a "sure thing".

Does anyone know of any guys that declared early and then turned into great QBs? Just curious.

There was a thread a little while back about Parcells' QB requirements. I'm not sure I can recall them all, but wasn't one of them - he had to graduate college (along with 30ish starts, winning record). Now, I'm not one to say Parcells is always right, but he has been associated with a few decent QBs over the years. So, maybe he knows a little more than me.

With that in mind, should that lower Clausen's stock at all? Seeing as how QB is the most important position on the team and we've been looking for one for 15 years, it seems like we'd want to do al we could to draft a "sure thing".

Does anyone know of any guys that declared early and then turned into great QBs? Just curious.

Overall I think that's a good point about guys leaving school early. One of the things I like about Clausen (other than the mechanics and personality), is that he's been a 3 year starter and has made noticable improvement each year. He got thrown to the wolves as a freshman but toughed it out on a crappy team. The last two seasons he's started every game. He'll be 23 next September and has over 30 starts in college so I think that alleviates the concern about being an underclassman.

Have you guys gotten to see Locker? Everything I've read sounds great, but I don't think he's been on once in the NYC area. How many/which U-Dub games have you gotten to see?

I'll admit I haven't seen Locker more than a handful of times. I saw one game his freshman year (USC?) and then just parts of the famous "celebration penalty" BYU game his sophomore year because he only played 2 games that year. This year I've seen him twice...Stanford and Notre Dame. He is a warrior and a great athlete, but his accuracy just isn't there IMO. The ND game was a great example. He played great that game and UW almost pulled off the upset. But he missed several throws that could have ensured victory. And when you look at what every other single QB has done to ND's defense this year, it really stands out. Watching him and Clausen throw head to head is like night and day.

Overall I think that's a good point about guys leaving school early. One of the things I like about Clausen (other than the mechanics and personality), is that he's been a 3 year starter and has made noticable improvement each year. He got thrown to the wolves as a freshman but toughed it out on a crappy team. The last two seasons he's started every game. He'll be 23 next September and has over 30 starts in college so I think that alleviates the concern about being an underclassman.

He's 23 and he's "leaving school early"???

Good points. I know next to nothing about college players, as I don't watch much college ball. So, I'm just trying to wrap my brain around who might be the best fit.

Although, I do find the Brohm situation interesting. Not knowing much about him either, but he was relatively highly drafted and sat behind a good QB in GB. Does he have anything to show in the NFL? Why did we sign (and pay for) the guy just to ride the bench for the remainder of a season on a team that's about to get a new HC/GM? It really doesn't make much sense to me at all. It's hard to believe that someone didn't have some motive for signing the guy.

A bunch of weird weather statistics...

Look, you are smarter than this.

1. I don't know where you are getting your weather data and I don't know the game time temperatures for the games you listed. I do know I lived in South Bend for 4 years and froze my dick off during October and November games. 70 degrees in early November? Hardly...

2. Your definition of how well he responds to cold weather seems to be in wins and losses. The point of the discussion of how adverse weather would potentially affect a player is how well that individual player played. You bring up the Stanford game as if it should be counted against him. Do you think completing 77% of your passes for 340 yards, 5 TDs and no INTs is the mark of not playing well in the cold? If Trent Edwards had gone 23-30 340 yds 5 TDs vs. the Browns in that snow bowl in '08 and we had lost 45-38, would you say he can't play well in the snow?

3. Even if every "cold weather game" he played at ND didn't meet your standard for "cold enough", the guy has lived in that arctic hole for 3 years. I'll concede that living in cold weather is not the same as playing professional football in it, but the point is that this will not be a Roscoe "I'm afraid of snow" situation. Clausen has spent significant time living in a climate that stacks up with Buffalo in almost every regard.

You don't like the guy...got it. I don't know him personally either...maybe he's a douche, maybe he's not. Football wise, he'll be your best friend if Buffalo calls his name in April.

I'm a big fan of Claussen, but up huge numbers in a pro-style offense, under intense media pressure for 3 straight years... Look at Notre Dame's stats, the reason why they were terrible was b/c of the defense, their offense was quite good 9th in the country in yards/game and 5th in the country in passing yards/game. And this was a pro-style offense, not a gimmick spread deal

Kid is the real deal

looking at the teams that could be drafting ahead of us you got

the browns who could take a qb but i think they stick with quinn as hes getting better

the buccs just took a qb

the rams will definately take 1 i believe

the lions definately wont

the cheifs could but they did invest alot in cassel

the raiders could take a qb

washington could also take a qb

the top 3 qbs could/will be off the board when we pick, unless we lose out