Great time to start a FA rookie at free safety

Coach Tuesday

On the heels of his questionable decision to put an unpracticed JP in against a Buzzsaw, MM has perhaps topped himself by starting Baker against one of the best passing offenses in the NFL. Should've been done weeks ago if it was going to be done - at least then Baker would have had some practice. Now, he gets to learn against the Rams' potent aerial attack... good stuff. Expect a long day on Sunday.

(Btw, I'm not suggesting Reese isn't a no-talent assclown - clearly, he is - but the timing of this move is awful.)

What makes you think Martz will target Baker?

If he's looked at any gamefilm from either New England game or the second Jets game, his passing chart will begin and end with wherever #24 lines up on defense.

Hopefully Jerry Gray figures this out at some point, and gives McGee a little help over the top? Leaving the kid out there by himself on practically every play is going to start messing with Terrence's confidence, if it hasn't already. JMO....

What makes you think Martz will target Baker?

If he's looked at any gamefilm from either New England game or the second Jets game, his passing chart will begin and end with wherever #24 lines up on defense.

Hopefully Jerry Gray figures this out at some point, and gives McGee a little help over the top? Leaving the kid out there by himself on practically every play is going to start messing with Terrence's confidence, if it hasn't already. JMO....

124067[/snapback]

It has more to do with knowing Gray's blitz pattern. Gray will blitz on every down b/c he knows the Rams' o-line is hurting. This will leave McGee and Baker on islands every once in awhile, and I predict disaster - total doom.

It has more to do with knowing Gray's blitz pattern.  Gray will blitz on every down b/c he knows the Rams' o-line is hurting.  This will leave McGee and Baker on islands every once in awhile, and I predict disaster - total doom.

124073[/snapback]

Yep. It'll be a real gamble. Love it or hate it, Martz's offensive scheme of hitting the WR's 15 to 20 yards down the middle is very effective if the qb gets protection. Holt and Bruce run the route to perfection, but even if Grandma Moses were playing WR she would tattoo you if your blitz pressure is thwarted and you were short-handed over the middle.

And once again my question......

WHy is everyone else on this team open game for benching EXCEPT for Drew?

124068[/snapback]

Because "Drew gives us the best chance to win."

Waaaaaait a minute... anyone else here think maybe MM and TD are betting against the Bills? Scour the sports books...

124068[/snapback]

Because up until now, they didn't think they had any other options? The fact that they didn't try Matthews in any of DB's bad games tells me all I need to know about the staff's opinion of him. And JP's just now getting healthy.

Something tells me from this point forward, if Drew throws another stinkbomb of a first half out there, things will be different. But hey, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong....

If weather allows, you are right, this type of offense is the type that exposes the Bills D for the phonies that they are. Just don't go blaming the sorry excuse for FS's that is the Buffalo Bills Izzel Reese and Rashad Baker. Before this game even happens we know we don't have a free safety. His name ain't Troy Vincent either. He needs to get off his bum assed knee and play some cornerback.

On the heels of his questionable decision to put an unpracticed JP in against a Buzzsaw, MM has perhaps topped himself by starting Baker against one of the best passing offenses in the NFL.  Should've been done weeks ago if it was going to be done - at least then Baker would have had some practice.  Now, he gets to learn against the Rams' potent aerial attack... good stuff.  Expect a long day on Sunday.

(Btw, I'm not suggesting Reese isn't a no-talent assclown - clearly, he is - but the timing of this move is awful.)

124044[/snapback]

I disagree, if we're going to find out if Baker's going to be anything more then a career backup we might as well try him out against the NFL's best. The timing might be now as Lori eluded more reflective of McGees struggles. Now if Baker shows to be better then Reese we might end seeing Vincent back at CB and allow Terrence to return to be our nickel back which seems to be the position most fans want him at. Then during the offseason or during the draft we could either take a FS or CB pending on where the Bills expect Vincent to play in 2005. If it's FS it shows the Bills have little long term faith in Baker. If it's a CB it could be they plan on shifting Vincent over and need someone to replace Vincent or McGee's CB spot. Not to mention Clements and Thomas are due to be UFAs after 2005 so our depth at the CB position could quickly evaporate.

124068[/snapback]

Asking that is like asking why is the sky blue? Who the hell knows but it is. I just don't understand who Drew blew to be untouchable? Drew blew, good one, lol.

On the heels of his questionable decision to put an unpracticed JP in against a Buzzsaw, MM has perhaps topped himself by starting Baker against one of the best passing offenses in the NFL. Should've been done weeks ago if it was going to be done - at least then Baker would have had some practice. Now, he gets to learn against the Rams' potent aerial attack... good stuff. Expect a long day on Sunday.

Coach... what have we got to lose here? A game? Well, does it make a difference whether or not we lose with or without Reese? I mean, it's not like this team is going anywhere... no way will this team finish better than 7-9 and even that may be a stretch.

Guest Guest_Coach_Tuesday
Coach... what have we got to lose here?  A game?  Well, does it make a difference whether or not we lose with or without Reese?  I mean, it's not like this team is going anywhere... no way will this team finish better than 7-9 and even that may be a stretch.

124461[/snapback]

My point is it shoulda been done weeks ago, against less potent passing offenses (Baltimore, Jets, etc.). You disagree?

My point is it shoulda been done weeks ago, against less potent passing offenses (Baltimore, Jets, etc.). You disagree?

Yes... it should have been done a long time ago... and, likewise, Bledsoe should have been benched in favor of Matthews.

This coaching staff does not appear to have a clue.... and the front office is actually worse... we all knew there were big holes to fill at the end of the season at DE, FS, CB, OL, and QB.... Reese is a carreer journeyman at best. Bledsoe... I'm just dumbfounded that they would re- up him, let alone lay out that kind of cash to re-sign him... Mr. Wilson ought to encourage his front office not to piss away his money. Donahoe is a complete disgrace... In my mind he is the worst GM in Bills history... even worse than Terry Bledsoe ( and, yes... somehere there must be lineage to Drew... just gotta be).

yah its a bit of a gamble, but i'll take my chances with Baker, after the sunday night crew said last week "Reese has trouble finding the ball a lot of times."

hes a fuggin FS for cryin out loud, and he cant find the ball, to me that seems like it might be a minor issue, JUST MAYBE!...give it up Buffalo...we've gotten snowed twice by ex-bronco DB's...start looking somewhere else...