(ot)hey diet and nuitrition experts....

The Poojer

Wacka  I gotta tell ya man good work on the effort, but Akins is not a good thing.  I would get my Cholesterol and Triglycerides checked regularly.

also I think Ketosis isn't the best  thing either. EVERYONE needs carbs. Going carbless causes other deficiencies.

124125[/snapback]

My cholesterol was 185 when I started losing weight. The doc had blood tests done including liver and thyroid enzyme levels. Everything was normal except for my bp which was 180/110. I am on medicine taht brought it down to normal in 6 hours. I have only one kidney-had one removed when I was 4 and the doctor knew this.

I have been to the doctor 3 weeks and 6 weeks after being told to lose weight. I also have been to him 3 months after that (3 weeks ago) and will go back after New Years. I have to get a blood test for cholesterol on 1/3.

I have worked out M-F for at least a year and a half. At my highest weight I was 225 (I'm 5'4").I lost 12 lbs from exercise but had plateaued from January to June. I went to the dentist and they took my bp (a cya move) and found it was high. I was at 213 then. Now I am at 175 and would ideally like to lose 25 more pounds. I still exercise M-F and go hiking on the weekends.

The first two weeks you cut out almost all carbs and then slowly add them back. I have cut out almost all chips, pretzels, and candy and pasta except for the occasional nibble (like at picnics). I'm not starving myself, but I am eating less than I used to. I have a lot more beef, chicken and fish in my freezer and a lot less packaged meals.

I bought new pants yesterday and couldn't believe I had lost 6 inches in my waist!

My cholesterol was 185 when I started losing weight. The doc had  blood tests done including liver and thyroid enzyme levels. Everything was normal except for my bp which was 180/110. I am on medicine taht brought it down to normal in 6 hours. I have only one kidney-had one removed when I was 4 and the doctor knew this.

I have been to the doctor 3 weeks and 6 weeks after being told to lose weight. I also have been to him 3 months after that (3 weeks ago) and will go back after New Years. I have to get a blood test for cholesterol on 1/3.

I have worked out M-F for at least a year and a half. At my highest weight I was 225 (I'm 5'4").I lost 12 lbs from exercise but had plateaued from January to June. I went to the dentist and they took my bp (a cya move) and found it was high. I was at 213 then. Now I am at 175 and would ideally like to lose 25 more pounds. I still exercise M-F and go hiking on the weekends.

The first two weeks you cut out almost all carbs and then slowly add them back. I have cut out almost all chips, pretzels, and candy and pasta except for the occasional nibble (like at picnics). I'm not starving myself, but I am eating less than I used to. I have a lot more beef, chicken and fish in my freezer and a lot less packaged meals.

I bought new pants yesterday and couldn't believe I had lost 6 inches in my waist!

124197[/snapback]

good job! Just keep an eye on the cholesterol

My cholesterol was 185 when I started losing weight. The doc had  blood tests done including liver and thyroid enzyme levels. Everything was normal except for my bp which was 180/110. I am on medicine taht brought it down to normal in 6 hours. I have only one kidney-had one removed when I was 4 and the doctor knew this.

124197[/snapback]

Sounds like you are doing good. After my Doc gave me the business about my cholesterol level (believe me, he's not one of those roller-skate type that flys from examining room to examining room - he rattles on like a calliope with leaky valves for 15 minutes or so - I think the poor guy is lonely. I know his wife, she works in the office and qualifies as a Class A drip.), I started the plant sterol margarine and cut out my snacks big time. All in all, I've dropped from about 210 to 190 - but my waist size has dropped from 38 to 34.

I've found it very informative to jot my daily food intake down onto a piece of paper - I look at it and realize it's time to have more vegetables, have meat only 3 or so times a week, and so on. Nothing fancy, just a piece of 8 by 11 legal paper on the coffee table, filled out in pen or pencil.

I have about 2000 calories of food a day (and at 150 a pop for my daily beers, add another 1000 or so <_< ).

I couldn't agree with you more about exercise.

Keep up the good work.

I would recommend working out 3x's/week. Eat what you are craving, as your body has unconscious ways of letting you know what you need. Mine does anyways. i eat tons of tuna subs, no extra mayo, extra veggies. Raisin Bran or cheerios in the morning, not too much juice. Tons of water, some vitamins like magnesium, b12, multivitamin, zinc and glucosamine chondroitinin.

For the workout, i do about an hr of lifting, full body workout, and about 20mins of cardio. Feels great, gives you great muscle mass, and not too hard to stay on, only 3 days/week. Increase the cardio portion if you're trying to lose wieght.

EVERYONE needs carbs. Going carbless causes other deficiencies.

124125[/snapback]

Atkins (and also South Beach) do not get rid of all carbs. You start out by keeping your carbs under 20 grams a day for the first two weeks. After that you start adding them in a little at a time, until you find your balance point between losing and maintaining your weight.

Pooj, you are going to have some real temptations this time of the year and losing weight could be tough. Try this alternative. Group of us at my former employer created a contest starting this time of the year called "Project Zero". Goal was to not gain any weight from Thanksgiving through New Years. How you did this was on your own, but you had a support team in case you needed it. The 15 pound loss thing I would start up after the holidays.

I just try to stick to a couple of basics; eat right (like everyone else has stated) and exercise.

Good luck.

i need to drop a 100 plus lbs. doctor yesterday put me on a whole water pill insted of a half need to get the #s down 140 over 100.doc. was not happy that i put on 4 lbs in a couple of months . thinking of going to weight watchers

Ilike your write it down idea, i may get a little notebook to carry in my pocket for a constant reminder

Sounds like you are doing good.  After my Doc gave me the business about my cholesterol level (believe me, he's not one of those roller-skate type that flys from examining room to examining room - he rattles on like a calliope with leaky valves for 15 minutes or so - I think the poor guy is lonely. I know his wife, she works in the office and qualifies as a Class A drip.), I started the plant sterol margarine and cut out my snacks big time. All in all, I've dropped from about 210 to 190 - but my waist size has dropped from 38 to 34.

I've found it very informative to jot my daily food intake down onto a piece of paper - I look at it and realize it's time to have more vegetables, have meat only 3 or so times a week, and so on. Nothing fancy, just  a piece of 8 by 11 legal paper on the coffee table, filled out in pen or pencil.

I have about 2000 calories of food a day (and at 150 a pop for my daily beers, add another 1000 or so :o ).

I couldn't agree with you more about exercise.

Keep up the good work.

124223[/snapback]