TO must be extended or cut NOW

Now that we are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, the people who run this franchise have an absolute obligation to step in and steer the team into the best possible position FOR NEXT SEASON. Can we all agree on this?

I would argue that since our offense is so anemic and there are not enough footballs to go around to our offensive personnel, TO's presence on the roster essentially keeps Hardy and Steve Johnson (theoretically two intriguing future prospects) off the field. So looking to develop the roster as much as possible for next year, if TO is not part of the future plans, why continue to play him now and keep Hardy and Johnson inactive? You can't make TO inactive, so you would have to cut him. If he IS part of the plans, make a move to extend him now and lock him up so you know what you have going into next year.

To allow TO to play out the string of this season without intending to extend him into next year, is to let this franchise simply drift. It's flat-out rudderless mismanagement of the roster. TO's presence on the roster only serves to extend the short term illusion that the Bills are a real, competitive team - but to what end, what direction? As a fan of this team I feel like I'm being asked to "live a lie" and I find it insulting. Of course, cutting TO now would unleash a tirade from him that would not reflect well on the team or the city. But if you're going to make a cake you need to break a few eggs.

It may well be that this roster is going to simply drift until a new GM is hired - the dead men walking in the front office surely must be hesitant now to propose embarking on a bold new direction. That's understandable, but if that's the case, then time's a wasting, Ralph. Make a GM hire now and give the new guy an opportunity to see what he has for next year. Maybe Ralph's afraid that a new GM will cut TO immediately, thereby exposing the old regime as the football alchemists that they are.

I disagree about extending or cutting him now.

My general sense is that TO is gone for next year. However, he has shown with his episodes of outstanding play in a couple of games since the demise of Jauron that he still has something left.

If the Bills have a potent O next year (which to me is most dependent on improving the OL, in theory TO and Evans represent a potent team of WRs.

However, the concept of bringing him back is a huge IF.

I think the wailing of some fans about him being a cancer this year is quite frankly just stupid and says a lot more about these fans and observers than it says about TO.

Those who claimed right from the start that TOs past actions made it clear he would be a cancer for the Bills simply misread the past as yes TO had a clear record of warring with the QB in SF with Garcia, in Philly with McNabb and in Dallas with Romo were just wrong in ignoring the fact thst TO was a great teammate his first year before being a divisive figure in his later years.

The Bills actually had almost no worry that TO was gonna be a cancer his first year as historically he has to build a fallowing his teamamtes before he became divisive.

Sure he is a volatile personality but it was a virtual certainty he was going to be cool this year.

As far as next year, I want to see how he finishes out this season in terms of more skills (unless he reaels in a couple of more TDs he is not resigning for an FA salary anywhere near his current salary.

His play over the last few games and attitude expressed after the season will tell us valuable things for the future if we do not cut him.

he has shown with his episodes of outstanding play in a couple of games since the demise of Jauron that he still has something left.

I agree completely that TO has something left. But my point is, he's like a big glitzy necklace hanging on the neck of a corpse. Is the shiny necklace supposed to distract you from noticing the rotting flesh? What value does the sparkly bling really have to the corpse?

As a fan, I don't need the bling any more because I've judged that it comes at the expense of the team's future. TO's value to this team, to me, is now ONLY about what he means to us next year. I would rather see some development out of Hardy and Johnson than seeing a few more 35-55 yard TD catches along the sideline at the tail end of a 6-10 season.

I agree completely that TO has something left. But my point is, he's like a big glitzy necklace hanging on the neck of a corpse. Is the shiny necklace supposed to distract you from noticing the rotting flesh? What value does the sparkly bling really have to the corpse?

As a fan, I don't need the bling any more because I've judged that it comes at the expense of the team's future. TO's value to this team, to me, is now ONLY about what he means to us next year. I would rather see some development out of Hardy and Johnson than seeing a few more 35-55 yard TD catches along the sideline at the tail end of a 6-10 season.

One role TO plays is saving Fitzy's neck behind our inexperienced and often over-matched OL. As seen in the two long downfeild TDs to TO since the O was liberated, opposing teams single cover TO with great risk. This fatal D play forces opponents to DT either with with two DBs or over and under having the OL use an LB underneath and leaving the LBs to skip the pass rush.

If Reed, Hardy or Johnson is the other WR look for a player who would have DT'ed TO to instead rush the QB.

I can't see new personnel people agreeing to keep TO, but the point of charting a new course is correct. Now that DJ has been fired, they need to decide what type of team this will be. For the past decade, it seems like 10 1- year plans have been instituted without a long term vision.

I think Lee Evans should sit so we can take a look at Johnson and/or Hardy. Keep Owens so those guys have a prayer at seeing a ball.

The idea of sitting Evans is patently absurd. Allowing Owens the opportunity to get picked up by a potential playoff contender, thereby freeing up playing time for developmental receivers, seems like a reasonable proposition considering that everyone on the roster is playing for next year anyway now, seems reasonable. It could be done in such a way as to minimize the potential public relations damage such a move could cause if it were handled poorly.

Id love to see what a healthy Steve Johnson could do given the opportunity. The best thing ive heard about Stevie is his ability to get off the initial jam, and get separation. Crossing patterns and slants sound pretty sweet to me about now, given the inability of our line to hold blocks.

When i think about what our prospective roster would have been absent the injuries; and the fact that somehow we've been able to WIN four games with this patchwork roster of second and third and fourth stringers, Its gotta make me wonder what might have been.

We cant be this snake bit with injuries three years in a row. Losing Mckelvin, Veek, Butler.....Poz for half the season, I mean COME ON. :thumbsup:

I really hope Woods is gonna recover.

We need a QB...i had high hopes for Edwards, but his mind is crushed.

The idea of sitting Evans is patently absurd. Allowing Owens the opportunity to get picked up by a potential playoff contender, thereby freeing up playing time for developmental receivers, seems like a reasonable proposition considering that everyone on the roster is playing for next year anyway now, seems reasonable. It could be done in such a way as to minimize the potential public relations damage such a move could cause if it were handled poorly.

Id love to see what a healthy Steve Johnson could do given the opportunity. The best thing ive heard about Stevie is his ability to get off the initial jam, and get separation. Crossing patterns and slants sound pretty sweet to me about now, given the inability of our line to hold blocks.

When i think about what our prospective roster would have been absent the injuries; and the fact that somehow we've been able to WIN four games with this patchwork roster of second and third and fourth stringers, Its gotta make me wonder what might have been.

We cant be this snake bit with injuries three years in a row. Losing Mckelvin, Veek, Butler.....Poz for half the season, I mean COME ON. :thumbsup:

There's not a nickles difference between Fitz and JP.....what Fitz has between the ears, he gives up in arm strength.

One role TO plays is saving Fitzy's neck behind our inexperienced and often over-matched OL. As seen in the two long downfeild TDs to TO since the O was liberated, opposing teams single cover TO with great risk. This fatal D play forces opponents to DT either with with two DBs or over and under having the OL use an LB underneath and leaving the LBs to skip the pass rush.

If Reed, Hardy or Johnson is the other WR look for a player who would have DT'ed TO to instead rush the QB.

"Great risk"? Guess you didn't watch the Jets game. Mostly single coverage on TO and he was shut down--zero risk for the opposing D, in fact. Other teams have done this as well.

Look, TO isn't a big bling necklace, he's a DELOREAN!

After this season, he's going to have a tough time finding a job--especially after GMs watch film of him this year. Remember--after a very good season with the Cowboys, no other team wanted him but the Bills. After this year, how does that change?

He will be playing canasta with Marvin Harrison.

"Great risk"? Guess you didn't watch the Jets game. Mostly single coverage on TO and he was shut down--zero risk for the opposing D, in fact. Other teams have done this as well.

Apparently while watching the game, you missed the graphic that showed what Revis (the "single coverage" to which you referred) did to the likes of Moss, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, and Colston, all of whom are younger and have a competent QB (Smith excepted) throwing the ball to him. I hope they like Canasta.

If TO were being covered by some joe schmoe, you'd have a case. Although I guess in some way, you could say that TO "done blowed-up tha team!"

In his chat on the Buffalo New site yesterday, Mark Gaughan, who would know, said that there was no chance -- nada -- that TO would be on the Bills next year.

This feeds into the very point of this thread. If TO is gone next year, then if you are a serious football organization who has any level of respect for your fan base, why make the conscious decision to keep playing him now at the cost of retarding the development of next year's receiving corps? We have no chance of contending this year, but we might next year. I would like to see this team use the time left to build something for next year, not patronize the fans with this charade. Sure, some of the fan base will scream that TO's signing was a bait and switch tactic, but a serious organization doesn't make decisions based on fear of fan reaction (see Packers' handling of Farve, and consider how many veterans the Patriots unceremoniously cut.) Bottom line, you take advantage of EVERY opportunity to maximize your chances of contending when its a realistic possibility.

I hope that Brandon was savvy enough to try to get Shanahan to weigh in on what he would do with TO next year. But somebody has to take charge and pull the trigger on this thing. At least make an effort to look like a serious football organization with a long term vision !!

Why keep him now? How about because he has a guaranteed contract for $6.5 million. Do you honestly think this franchise will waive him and pay him millions NOT to play? How about because you are sending a message to the people who have already bought tickets for the rest of the games that you're giving up and waving a white flag.

I don't see this team making any major personnel moves until they have someone in place to run the organization after this season.

what new front office?

when and if they get a new front office then decide who to extend and not to extend

Obviously you have missed my point. Of course a new regime, if there is to be one, should chart the course, but every additional game that Hardy and Johnson stay off the field, delays our progress for the future.

In his chat on the Buffalo New site yesterday, Mark Gaughan, who would know, said that there was no chance -- nada -- that TO would be on the Bills next year.

How would Gaughan know? Did TO tell him directly that he'd never come back? Doubtful at best. Does Gaughan know who Ralph will hire and whether they'd want to keep him? Not even close.

As for retarding the younger guys, they could be playing over Reed, who is also an UFA next year, or Parrish. The fact that Steve Johnson, who is healthy, has been inactive most of the year, should tell you something.

Why now? Why saddle a new HC with a player he might not want? If TO goes, so what? This will mean he was not committed to the BIlls. Building a team with old veteran, who are near the end of the careers is OK for a team that needs 1 or 2 players to make a big splash in the playoff run. This team is no way close to that right now. This team needs to rebuild and TO just takes away valuable time from Evans, Hardy and others.

The only thing patently absurd is the idea that with Evans on the other side, Hardy or Johnson would see any balls. Lee Evans can't get open with Owens on the other side. With Owens on the other side Hardy and/or Johnson just might have a chance to develop. If Owens gets let go your pipe dream of seeing Johnson on crossing and slant patters would be over.

make zero moves as of right no and keep everything as is. the consensus/hope right now is that we are blowing up the coaching staff/front office next year. supposively those are the people who will be making those decisions, not our current band of gypsy's we have now. why whould we want an incompetent front office making moves right now in negotiating contracts? a new fo will want nothing to do with fresh contracts, they will want teh control over that decision.

Players like hardy and steve johnson will be evaluated by the new coaching staff, not the current. it will only hurt them to try and perform with a team that is more or less out of the hunt and just going through the motions, and it is not like the offense was rolling anybody over to begin with. If they are to have a future here in Buffalo the new staff should decide on that under their plays and their circumstances.

When/if we get a new FO, they might see a potential in TO and want to retain him, benching him will ensure the fact that that does not happen(rather than the current most likely. If that does happen, Hardy and Johnson will still be on the bench.

Keep everything as is, the team is in no position to currently deal with or evaluate personel. let the new FO figure everything out, and lets not tarnish the reputations of any possibly key athletes that may be on the roster. everything needs to be worked out with the new regime, just wait everything out

Has Hardy even sniffed the field this year? If Steve J is so good how come we dont see him in???

I like to see if the young guys have anything but without a GM in place and without that person evaluating the talent we will continue to limp along. What a mess not getting a real GM into place unless they are going with the coach/GM route which I believe is a major mistake