face it

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure when ALL Bills Fans are going to stop accepting mediocrity...I'm sure the day is coming...One day soon I hope...But reading these "Fewell may be our next HC" threads makes me wonder if it will ever happen...We'll see... :cry:

I agree (mostly) with the mediocrity thought - disagree only with the ALL portion.

I think Fewell is a potential wildcard in the coaching situation. He seems to have the basic qualites but two games does not make for a track record. I am more concerned with the GM situation right now. Talent and schemes are a much more critical issue IMO.

If Fewell stays and the Tampa suck-2 stays with him I believe that is a huge problem. If Fewell is a real candidate - he might just show it by having the gonads (borrowing from him) to say it is a defensive scheme that has no business in the Buffalo conditions / division.

Fewell has done a pretty good job so far. But even if he wins say 4 out of the last 7 I'm not so sure that's gonna make me want to hire him full time. There's a difference between taking a team that's sick of it's Hc and fire 'em up and win a few games and taking a team from the end of the season, through mini-camps, the draft, and training camp into a winning season. A guy like Shanahan or Billick or Fassell or Fisher or Cowher or Reeves or ... have shown they know how to do this. Other guys like Haslett and Singeltary have shown they can do the former but not the latter.

It's time to go for the sure(er) thing.

Face it. Bills fans, and really 99.9% of all football fans, don't know talent if kissed them on the lips. All they know is what ESPN tells them. To them fame = talent. Anyone you never heard of can't possible be any good. Perry Fewell could win the rest of his games and WGR and Jerry Sullivan will still think "so what?" Why? Because everyone assumes anyone already on the Bills has the stink of failure all over them. That, and no one on ESPN is drooling over Perry Fewell. Meanwhile this mess of a team has done a complete one-eighty under Fewell, but who cares, right?

PTR

I agree 100%. People feel the only way to turn around the franchise is to load up with name brand people. But just recognizing a name does not immediately make a player/coach fit in with the team. I would say finishing above the dreaded 7-9 earns Perry the job. We are in triage here--have to stop the bleeding. Everyone wants a whole new team/staff, but that is unrealistic. If we can salvage some people it certainly makes rebuilding easier. Sweeping the conference or racking up a winning record? Why would we replace a guy who can do that?

Granted this may all be a moot point. We could very well lose out with 4-11 record.

While we are bidding to get Shanahan and Schottenheimer out of the nursing home, Fewell may perform well the rest of the season. He has a nice background as a defensive co-ordinator, is enthusiastic and would have won with what had been a loser team with no offensive line, a mediocre qb and a defense about as riddled with injury as you can get.

He will be an NFL head coach.

That being the case Shanahan comes in with a mediocre track record in his last three years as a head coach, nothing to indicate energy or inclination to work with a sub-par team.

I for one would hold off on any coaching decisions until we have a new GM and we have a good opportunity to assess Fewell and decide whether to offer him the job and lock him into Buffalo.

LMAO Buffalo fans are so hard up they want Fewell who has never been inerviewed by anyone else, for the HC. Wow...

I'm willing to give him a chance, but at the same time, I think the Bills have to be careful if they hire yet another inexperienced head coach. Sure, Fewell has them fired up right now, but that happens every time a losing QB and/or coach gets canned. Once the new wears off, can he keep it up, especially when they inevitably run into some adversity? I'm not at all convinced of that anymore than I am that Ryan Fitzpatrick is answer at QB.

If they have the opportunity to sign an established, quality head coach, I think they'd be crazy to pass him up in favor of taking a flyer on any unproven candidate, whether it be Fewell or any other coordinator out there.

I'm willing to give him a chance, but at the same time, I think the Bills have to be careful if they hire yet another inexperienced head coach. Sure, Fewell has them fired up right now, but that happens every time a losing QB and/or coach gets canned. Once the new wears off, can he keep it up, especially when they inevitably run into some adversity? I'm not at all convinced of that anymore than I am that Ryan Fitzpatrick is answer at QB.

If they have the opportunity to sign an established, quality head coach, I think they'd be crazy to pass him up in favor of taking a flyer on any unproven candidate, whether it be Fewell or any other coordinator out there.

Sorry to sing the same song again, but I cannot imagine any coach or GM (take your pick from all who have been mentioned in the last 2+ weeks) being successful (or staying very long) without a totally new ownership philosophy. And I do not believe that a new ownership philosophy will occur in Buffalo without a change in ownership.

The point is: Wilson will never throw tons of money at doing a complete reversal. Only a new owner who wants to gain prestige (by winning) while making his millions will make real change happen.

Sorry to sing the same song again, but I cannot imagine any coach or GM (take your pick from all who have been mentioned in the last 2+ weeks) being successful (or staying very long) without a totally new ownership philosophy. And I do not believe that a new ownership philosophy will occur in Buffalo without a change in ownership.

The point is: Wilson will never throw tons of money at doing a complete reversal. Only a new owner who wants to gain prestige (by winning) while making his millions will make real change happen.

Maybe, maybe not, we'll just have to wait and see. If they drop their apparent interest in an established coach, then I think Fewell's chances of retaining the job increase significantly if he continues to win.

Fewell has done a pretty good job so far. But even if he wins say 4 out of the last 7 I'm not so sure that's gonna make me want to hire him full time. There's a difference between taking a team that's sick of it's Hc and fire 'em up and win a few games and taking a team from the end of the season, through mini-camps, the draft, and training camp into a winning season. A guy like Shanahan or Billick or Fassell or Fisher or Cowher or Reeves or ... have shown they know how to do this. Other guys like Haslett and Singeltary have shown they can do the former but not the latter.

It's time to go for the sure(er) thing.

But there is no sure thing, Shanahan/Cowher/Gruden/etc. have just as much of a chance at failure as a no name top co-ordinator or Fewell does.

If there were sure things, these guys wouldn't be unemployed, or let go by their former teams.

Not to detract anything from Perry.

It's been two games against teams the Bills SHOULD have been able to defeat with the talent at hand.

When Perry can lead the Bills to a win against the dreaded Putruds and other top echelon teams THEN I'll happily join you on this bandwagon.

Face it. Bills fans, and really 99.9% of all football fans, don't know talent if kissed them on the lips. All they know is what ESPN tells them. To them fame = talent. Anyone you never heard of can't possible be any good. Perry Fewell could win the rest of his games and WGR and Jerry Sullivan will still think "so what?" Why? Because everyone assumes anyone already on the Bills has the stink of failure all over them. That, and no one on ESPN is drooling over Perry Fewell. Meanwhile this mess of a team has done a complete one-eighty under Fewell, but who cares, right?

PTR

Good point, but not after two games, one of them a loss. Let's see what happens after teams get some game film on

Fitzpatrick. I'm not saying he's no good, but if he's going continue to improve he'll have to keep disguising his tendencies from game to game. The same goes for our O-Line.

Would have won what? Division? Conference? Championship?

Myspeculation is based on the presumption that Fewell will actually win three or four games as head coach of this mediocre team. Easy enough to see whether this is a crazy idea or not. He will be a head coach or he won't next season. I'll happily stand corrected if he isn't.

Myspeculation is based on the presumption that Fewell will actually win three or four games as head coach of this mediocre team. Easy enough to see whether this is a crazy idea or not. He will be a head coach or he won't next season. I'll happily stand corrected if he isn't.

Yeah, I think he wins three or four as well. I like him and think he's done one hell of a job so far. Here's hoping for win #2 tonight.

:cry:

It depends on whether the Bills hire a GM and if that GM aligns well with Fewell. Sadly, the Bills may end up with no choice but to hire him (not the right outcome for anyone). I have my doubts that a "name" coach will come to Buffalo. if Fewell does well for the balance of the season I could buy into he is potentially a better hire than some other "hot" coordinator from some other team.

So long as I live I will never forget the night Fewell's defense gave up touchdowns on 8 consecutive drives to the Patriots two seasons ago in Buffalo.

This is not an exceptional coach.

He is mediocre. He will have his days, but more often than not he is the lesser to his opposition at the NFL level. And not just because his defenses reflect mediocrity statistically. The most damning aspect of his defensive coordinating has been his inability to create pressure on opposing quarterbacks. That has become perhaps the key difference between good and bad D coordinators in a passing driven league, and Fewell is a flat out joke in this regard. It really speaks to his inability to solve problems. There are days he just has no answer, and we have learned that against a particularly smart team like NE that can be every day.

No way he deserves a promotion. I know that great defensive coordinators don't necessarily make good head coaches, but the only conclusion a Fewell hiring would support is the belief that a bad coordinator might therefore make a good one.