Thurman Thomas disrespected by two current players

zdro22

Thurman and Jim were both great players. But I've heard way too many first hand accounts of poor behavior to believe that they are good people.

Imagine you are 25-29 years old, have millions of dollars, the adoration of millions of people and every good looking girl in sight throwing themselves at you. You going to be the same down to earth guy you always were? I can't imagine its easy.

And you have "heard way too many first hand accounts," is shaky at best in which to base an opinion. First hand experience (not accounts) that you have had with them is the better way to form an opinion. I'd also venture to say first hand experience while sober is even better.

I've had that experience and they are both good guys (as are Talley and Bruce).

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine you are 25-29 years old, have millions of dollars, the adoration of millions of people and every good looking girl in sight throwing themselves at you. You going to be the same down to earth guy you always were? I can't imagine its easy.

I don't see how having any amount of money or fame excuses a person from behaving decently.

And you have "heard way too many first hand accounts," is shaky at best in which to base an opinion. First hand experience (not accounts) that you have had with them is the better way to form an opinion. I'd also venture to say first hand experience while sober is even better.

Thanks, but I don't need your guidance on how to form my opinions.

Imagine you are 25-29 years old, have millions of dollars, the adoration of millions of people and every good looking girl in sight throwing themselves at you.

This very accurately describes my situation in the age range you mention ..... at least in my dreams.

Knowing the Caveman, and knowing who his likely sources are (we both go back to the 80s/90s home of training camp), I'd say put stock in what he says. These guys might be changed men, but they knew how to party, and how to get away with a lot. This should surprise no one who followed the team or football in general back in the day.

For every person who gets caught (Bruce Smith~ cocaine + more than one DUI) there are going to be some who don't.

Here's hoping, as many claim, that they are changed men. If not, it doesn't damage what they did on the football field. It just means they're not role models, and any parent worth his or her salt knows that athletes probably shouldn't be role models unless they've earned that status.

How is it that people think Thurman is a bad person all of a sudden? He has spoken openly about his being an alcoholic and overcoming that. He doesn't even go out with Kelly or any of the guys that are still in Buffalo because he doesn't want to be near alcohol. I listened to him at a speach he did at Suny Brockport. Seems like a pretty good guy to me.

The general consensus in 1994 in Billsland was that Thurman thomas was a pr*ck. I remember those days well. It stemmed from his surliness towards the local media, his apparent refusal to sign autographs for kids and the like, and -- probably most importantly -- a decline in his game.

Thurman and Jim were both great players. But I've heard way too many first hand accounts of poor behavior to believe that they are good people.

I've had a few personal interactions with Kelly, enough to suggest that there's a substantial difference between the 25-year old Jim Kelly I met (who was a serious !@#$), and the 40-year old Jim Kelly I met (who was genuinely, almost surprisingly, friendly.) Can't speak for Thurman...but I've heard the same. Growing up, getting married, having kids, beating alcoholism, having your son die of a congenital disease...things like that can tend to mellow someone from the brash 25-year old they were.

Guest dog14787
I've had a few personal interactions with Kelly, enough to suggest that there's a substantial difference between the 25-year old Jim Kelly I met (who was a serious !@#$), and the 40-year old Jim Kelly I met (who was genuinely, almost surprisingly, friendly.) Can't speak for Thurman...but I've heard the same. Growing up, getting married, having kids, beating alcoholism, having your son die of a congenital disease...things like that can tend to mellow someone from the brash 25-year old they were.

The life of a celebrity has its down side, how in the hell can Tiger Woods ever hope to save his marriage with his phone message being broadcasted about every 60 seconds somewhere in the US, good grief, give the couple a break, If not for Tiger Woods Sake, for his wife's .