Did Dan Marino really say that?!?

Golden Wheels

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time the Bills really could've taken a knee but didn't was on the first and goal from the 7. They could've ended the game with 2-3 kneeldowns there, but opted to run the ball instead. As a way of boosting morale on a downtrodden team, I think it was probably a pretty good move. But in terms of pure tactics, it's the wrong move, since it lowers your chance of victory. (From over 99.9% to maybe about 98%. Still lower, though.)

I'm with you here. I told my wife right after Freddy scored that the touchdown (although I loved it) put victory slightly more in jeopardy than if they had run the ball (or knelt down) a few more times without scoring. As I explained it, it would be best for them to run it and score on 3rd or 4th down, eliminating any time for the fish to come back. I remember quite a few years ago when we had a one point lead with the other team driving. There was a turnover and we ran it back for a touchdown from like 80 yards out. There was only something like a minute left and the other team had no timeouts. The smart thing to do would have been to go down and just run the clock out with kneel downs. We gave them the opportunity of a miracle touchdown and two point conversion to tie it up. Obviously that didn't happen, but hey, I'm a Bills fan and can't leave anything to chance.

Under 2:00 with no time outs

Under 1:20 with one time out

Under 0:40 with two time outs.

In any of those situations, you have a ~100% chance of victory if you kneel down. Does anyone know if there has ever been a turnover on a kneeldown play? The Bills were in that situation, and so running the ball - even when scoring a TD - gives Miami a better chance to win. So if your only goal is to win the game, you take a knee.

However, if you're an interim coach hoping for another chance at the head job, you'd better believe 31-14 looks better on your resume than 24-14. If you're a backup RB just breaking out and looking for another contract, you'd like to have one more TD on your resume, etc. There's probably more benefit to Fewell and Jackson towards calling the play that taking the knee. I'm glad we went for it.

Owens was not running up the score. Jackson was. They could have taken knees at that point.

Maybe u weren't watching the game, but when the Bills were running Jackson up the middle on successive plays, Miami was using their timeouts in a 24-14 game. If Miami didn't think they were done yet, why would the Bills?

In any of those situations, you have a ~100% chance of victory if you kneel down. Does anyone know if there has ever been a turnover on a kneeldown play? The Bills were in that situation, and so running the ball - even when scoring a TD - gives Miami a better chance to win. So if your only goal is to win the game, you take a knee.

However, if you're an interim coach hoping for another chance at the head job, you'd better believe 31-14 looks better on your resume than 24-14. If you're a backup RB just breaking out and looking for another contract, you'd like to have one more TD on your resume, etc. There's probably more benefit to Fewell and Jackson towards calling the play that taking the knee. I'm glad we went for it.

I live in Giants country and yes, people STILL talk about Joe Pisarciks kneeldown fumble against the eagles in 1977, returned for a TD by none other than Herm Edwards.

Frankly, the last two minutes completely changed my (short term) attitude about this offense, this defense, this coach, this team and this franchise. It may last only four days, but what Fewell was doing was trying to change the culture of this team. It worked brilliantly, for one afternoon. Think of how your own attitude changed because of those few calls.

Frankly, the last two minutes completely changed my (short term) attitude about this offense, this defense, this coach, this team and this franchise. It may last only four days, but what Fewell was doing was trying to change the culture of this team. It worked brilliantly, for one afternoon. Think of how your own attitude changed because of those few calls.

:D

A few of you have been seduced by a decade's worth of pansy ball.

You watch Glengarry Glen Ross and cheer for Jack Lemmon's character.

:D

What this team needs is for Fewell and/or new coach/GM to do the Alec Baldwin character.

**** you, that's my name!!! you can't sell ****, you are ****, hit the bricks pal, cuz you are going OUT!!!

:w00t:

Some very good points here. From the perspective of winning this one football game, running a play on that 1st and goal was the wrong move, but it became clear to me watching Coach Fewell's postgame press conference that he knew exactly what he was doing and is trying to change the attitude of the team. From that perspective it was a good call. And Miami had the look of a team that just quit. I hope they're embarrassed.

One thing lost in this - *ahem* - "debate" about running up the score: it's the !@#$ing Dolphins. Since when is running up the score on the Dolphins a bad thing? Personally, I'm upset they kneeled it down to end the game - I think they should have gone for another score. Because it's the mother!@#$ing Dolphins.

If you don't want teams to run up the score, stop them. Pretty simple, really.

Damn straight man! I hate this whole beef with "running up the score," are we expected the preserve the Dolphins feelings in the name of sportsmanship? If we're playing that game wouldn't be more insulting to sit down in the middle of the game, in essence saying "you are not worth our trying?" You get paid millions of dollars to play 60 minutes of football. If you don't want to lose by 70 points then maybe you should play better.

if you want to preserve the health of your top guys, that's one thing. But don't stop playing, that's not what I'm paying my money for.

I live in Giants country and yes, people STILL talk about Joe Pisarciks kneeldown fumble against the eagles in 1977, returned for a TD by none other than Herm Edwards.

That wasn't a kneel down. Pisarcik was trying to hand the ball off to Czonka when he should have been kneeling down.

One thing lost in this - *ahem* - "debate" about running up the score: it's the !@#$ing Dolphins. Since when is running up the score on the Dolphins a bad thing? Personally, I'm upset they kneeled it down to end the game - I think they should have gone for another score. Because it's the mother!@#$ing Dolphins.

I hear ya

From Perry's perspective, 9 times out of 10 for the Bills offense, running the ball up the middle is kneeling down.

Owens was not running up the score. Jackson was. They could have taken knees at that point.

Oh, please.

As has been stated before, but I somehow have the desire to reiterate...

a) its the Dolphins

b) 38 - 10

c) they were calling timeouts

d) its the Dolphins

I don't think so. Miami still had timeouts and was using them. I believe it was the next play after they called their final timeout that Jackson scored. There was still over a minute and half left and the Bills needed a first down to run out the clock. F*** Miami anyway.