cmon Toronto

you need to sell out the "home" game... :thumbsup:

:worthy::censored::bag::D

The Toronto media have reported that plenty of seats are available in all price ranges for the Bills-Jets clash.

“Ticket sales are going very well, but I’m not going to get into specifics,” Adrian Montgomery, Rogers Communications’ general manager of the Bills in Toronto series, said Tuesday, calling the ticket figure a moving target.

“We are pacing well for this game, and we expect an incredible atmosphere,” he added.

While the number of seats available for the last three “home” games suggests concerns about the games being blacked out in Buffalo, Montgomery insisted that won’t happen with the game being played in Toronto.

“There won’t be a blackout,” he said.

How could he be sure?

“I’m just telling you that there won’t be a blackout,” he added.

Montgomery wouldn’t comment on whether the Bills in Toronto officials had some way to ensure a sellout. If not sold out 72 hours before kickoff, the game would be blacked out here, because the National Football League considers Toronto close enough to count as a home game.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/874260.html

to be honest - the rogers center (formerly the skydome) is such a ****ty place to watch any sporting event (espcially football) that there is no way real fans in canada would pay to see a game there - with absolutly no atmosphere, no tailgating - if they could just drive a little bit to the ralph and experience the real deal

plus people were really soured by the prices of the tickets initially it may have turned them off of the whole thing.

and not to mention it is kindve a meaningless game. prediction - Bills 18 . Jets 10

Yeah, it was an "incredible" atmosphere for the Bills-Fins game last year ... and I don't mean that in a good way.

Hope Mr. Wilson has already cashed that $78 million check.

“There won’t be a blackout,” he said.

How could he be sure?

“I’m just telling you that there won’t be a blackout,” he added.

Montgomery wouldn’t comment on whether the Bills in Toronto officials had some way to ensure a sellout. If not sold out 72 hours before kickoff, the game would be blacked out here, because the National Football League considers Toronto close enough to count as a home game.

I'm pretty sure that the reason the game will not be blacked out is that the Bills sold the rights to promote and sell tickets to the game to Rogers Communications. As soon as they did that, the NFL considers the game to be sold out, because Rogers Communications basically purchased all of the tickets from the Bills. The same thing happened last year because they did not sell out the Dolphins vs. Bills game, but it was still televised in the Buffalo market.

I am a life long Bills fan. I am Canadian. Until this year, I was a Bills season ticket holder for the last 7 years. I worked at the Rogers Centre when I was in school as an usher for the Blue Jays. And you couldn't pay me to go see a Bills game there. The atmosphere is the worst in professional sports. The rules in the stadium just don't make watching sports fun let alone a football game. The game day experience involves being able to tailgate...that isn't happening in Toronto. Your tailgate will most likely consist of $8.00 beers and $12-$15 appetizers. The street meat is pretty good outside the stadium but that's about it.

It blows my mind that Mr. Wilson and the marketing geniuses at One Bills Drive have not marketed the tailgate experience. Sell the suite at the stadium with a limo bus. Limo bus picks up the people from the out of range businesses in Ontario and Rochester, NY areas. Have drinks and food on the limo bus ride to the stadium. The folks can mingle on the limo bus and watched the pregame on mobile Direct Tv or something enroute to the stadium. Get them in their suite for the game and then limo bus their ass back to Toronto, London, Kitchener, Rochester, Syracuse, etc.

Don't B word and complain that you can't sell box suites to industry. GET INVENTIVE. DON'T TAKE ONE OF MY DIVISION HOME GAMES AWAY AND PUT IT IN A DULL ****HOLE STADIUM!!!

I am a life long Bills fan. I am Canadian. Until this year, I was a Bills season ticket holder for the last 7 years. I worked at the Rogers Centre when I was in school as an usher for the Blue Jays. And you couldn't pay me to go see a Bills game there. The atmosphere is the worst in professional sports. The rules in the stadium just don't make watching sports fun let alone a football game. The game day experience involves being able to tailgate...that isn't happening in Toronto. Your tailgate will most likely consist of $8.00 beers and $12-$15 appetizers. The street meat is pretty good outside the stadium but that's about it.

It blows my mind that Mr. Wilson and the marketing geniuses at One Bills Drive have not marketed the tailgate experience. Sell the suite at the stadium with a limo bus. Limo bus picks up the people from the out of range businesses in Ontario and Rochester, NY areas. Have drinks and food on the limo bus ride to the stadium. The folks can mingle on the limo bus and watched the pregame on mobile Direct Tv or something enroute to the stadium. Get them in their suite for the game and then limo bus their ass back to Toronto, London, Kitchener, Rochester, Syracuse, etc.

Don't B word and complain that you can't sell box suites to industry. GET INVENTIVE. DON'T TAKE ONE OF MY DIVISION HOME GAMES AWAY AND PUT IT IN A DULL ****HOLE STADIUM!!!

I live in Montreal but work at Front & Bay. Can't believe how dead this whole Bills thing in Toronto is. Brandon and Ralph are true geniuses. Incredible that Ted paid USD 78MM for this. And that stadium is the pits. Reminds me of the atmosphere in the Big O when the Expos were playing there. Its what killed the franchise.

Yeah, it was an "incredible" atmosphere for the Bills-Fins game last year ... and I don't mean that in a good way.

Hope Mr. Wilson has already cashed that $78 million check.

Lori, Do you know how many people from the American side of the border went up to Toronto last year to watch that dismal Bflo/Miami game? It would be interesting to know how much money the Rogers group lost on this American football venture? Ralph might not know how to assemble a winning team but he certainly knows how to make money off a losing team. I guess Russ Brandon, the marketing guru, wins the organizational MVP. No wonder he was elevated to the GM position by the owner.

I live in Montreal but work at Front & Bay. Can't believe how dead this whole Bills thing in Toronto is. Brandon and Ralph are true geniuses. Incredible that Ted paid USD 78MM for this. And that stadium is the pits. Reminds me of the atmosphere in the Big O when the Expos were playing there. Its what killed the franchise.

The upfront payment makes sense if you consider it an investment. If the Rogers group successfully bids for the Bills when it is auctioned off they won't have to pay a very expensive relocation fee to the league because they can claim that Toronto is already part of the expanded Buffalo market.

For Ralph Wilson, in addition to his upfront $78 M bonanza he received, he has potentially gotten a very rich bidder interested in his franchise when it gets auctioned off. The more high rollers interested the more money he can take to his grave.

The upfront payment makes sense if you consider it an investment. If the Rogers group successfully bids for the Bills when it is auctioned off they won't have to pay a very expensive relocation fee to the league because they can claim that Toronto is already part of the expanded Buffalo market.

For Ralph Wilson, in addition to his upfront $78 M bonanza he received, he has potentially gotten a very rich bidder interested in his franchise when it gets auctioned off. The more high rollers interested the more money he can take to his grave.

Don't understand this relocation fee thing. If the Detroit Lions moved to Toronto, I might see Ralph being entitled to something because its in his market (maybe another 78MM). But if the Bills were bought and moved to Toronto don't see why there would be a fee payable to anyone.

My take: the Bills are not moving to Toronto. After a couple of years whatever stadium they were playing out of would look like Municipal Stadium in Jacksonville did last week. As a business matter, the Bills best asset is its fanbase, which is Buffalo & Western NY, so why alienate it?

Don't understand this relocation fee thing. If the Detroit Lions moved to Toronto, I might see Ralph being entitled to something because its in his market (maybe another 78MM). But if the Bills were bought and moved to Toronto don't see why there would be a fee payable to anyone.

My take: the Bills are not moving to Toronto. After a couple of years whatever stadium they were playing out of would look like Municipal Stadium in Jacksonville did last week. As a business matter, the Bills best asset is its fanbase, which is Buffalo & Western NY, so why alienate it?

You misread my comments. If the Bills are bought by the Toronto group and moved there there wouldn't be a relocation fee because it is considered part of the same (Buffalo) market. Your example of Detroit moving to Toronto would not be allowed because Ralph Wilson presently controls that market. The NFL would not allow such an infringement of another owner's market.

However, if an LA group won the auction for the Bills and moved the team to LA then there is a substantial relocation fee charged. The money would be distributed to the other league owners. Could the owners waive a relocation fee because the team is moved into a more TV lucrative market? Possibly, but not probable.

You misread my comments. If the Bills are bought by the Toronto group and moved there there wouldn't be a relocation fee because it is considered part of the same (Buffalo) market. Your example of Detroit moving to Toronto would not be allowed because Ralph Wilson presently controls that market. The NFL would not allow such an infringement of another owner's market.

However, if an LA group won the auction for the Bills and moved the team to LA then there is a substantial relocation fee charged. The money would be distributed to the other league owners. Could the owners waive a relocation fee because the team is moved into a more TV lucrative market? Possibly, but not probable.

ok, thanks. I suppose it makes more sense if Ted Rogers was getting something for his money. He was definitely one of the sharpest business heads ever up here.

Sorry guys, I'm rooting for a blackout this time. Big time. If we prove Toronto isn't a viable market for an NFL franchise and Los Angeles gets the Jags, Chargers, or Raiders, the chances of the Bills staying in Buffalo improves dramatically. Looks like you'll have to go to the local bar to see the game...if it's even worth watching, that is.

Sorry guys, I'm rooting for a blackout this time. Big time. If we prove Toronto isn't a viable market for an NFL franchise and Los Angeles gets the Jags, Chargers, or Raiders, the chances of the Bills staying in Buffalo improves dramatically. Looks like you'll have to go to the local bar to see the game...if it's even worth watching, that is.

we wouldn't be able to see it at the local bar if it's blacked out......

I heard the scalpers were going to try and sell some of them for $10 when they were originally $200.

Can't sell Ralphie short...he can bilk with the best of them.

I don't think Ralph bilked them as much as Rodgers overestimated what the people of Toronto would be willing to pay for an NFL game without the NFL experience of the tailgate.

YOU'RE HIRED!!

I still have the image burned in my brain from the last Toronto debacle. The camera pans across the crowd and finds this one group, one guy in a Chicago Bears jersey, two hot chicks in what looked like Indianapolis jerseys, a guy in a Bills home jersey with Edwards' number, and a dude right next to him with a Dolphins jersey and a Yankees cap on.

The first time they panned to this little crew was when the Bills scored a FG. The whole bunch cheered. Then the Dolphins scored a TD and they panned to the same crew and they all cheered again.

!@#$ Toronto.

we wouldn't be able to see it at the local bar if it's blacked out......

Not if your local bar has a dish it wouldn't be. Although the last time I was up for a game, it was the 4:00pm Saints game and I noticed the two bars down the street from the Ralph didn't have dishes, so I don't know what's up with that. What kind of sports bar doesn't have a satellite dish???

Plus, that other guy is right (I think). If it's on the NFL Network I'm not sure that they can black it out.

Not if your local bar has a dish it wouldn't be. Although the last time I was up for a game, it was the 4:00pm Saints game and I noticed the two bars down the street from the Ralph didn't have dishes, so I don't know what's up with that. What kind of sports bar doesn't have a satellite dish???

Plus, that other guy is right (I think). If it's on the NFL Network I'm not sure that they can black it out.

If it's in the blackout zone, it doesn't matter if the bar has a dish or not...they legally aren't allowed to carry the game and their receiver won't pick the game up anyway. I remember a long time ago that bars were getting fined for showing blacked out games....they were giving their satellite provider a false address so that they didn't get blacked out. A buddy of mine is a big Browns fan living in Hamburg and his DirecTV is registered to a Cleveland address...so he gets Cleveland local stations and all the Browns games.

to be honest - the rogers center (formerly the skydome) is such a ****ty place to watch any sporting event (espcially football) that there is no way real fans in canada would pay to see a game there - with absolutly no atmosphere, no tailgating - if they could just drive a little bit to the ralph and experience the real deal

plus people were really soured by the prices of the tickets initially it may have turned them off of the whole thing.

and not to mention it is kindve a meaningless game. prediction - Bills 18 . Jets 10

I'll ignore your prediction. Keep in mind one thing. Rogers is "doing diligence." His group is learning things about the NFL business and product. If the group buys the franchise, they will probably build a domed stadium better than what just opened in Dallas and do a ton of things to make Toronto a football magnet. These people aren't stupid. What they are spending is peanuts compared to what they would spend if successful in getting the team. And what they would be spending is nothing compared to what profits they would be making. They have geographic and financial advantages to be exploited that could potentially make them the most profitable franchise in the league.

I'll ignore your prediction. Keep in mind one thing. Rogers is "doing diligence." His group is learning things about the NFL business and product. If the group buys the franchise, they will probably build a domed stadium better than what just opened in Dallas and do a ton of things to make Toronto a football magnet. These people aren't stupid. What they are spending is peanuts compared to what they would spend if successful in getting the team. And what they would be spending is nothing compared to what profits they would be making. They have geographic and financial advantages to be exploited that could potentially make them the most profitable franchise in the league.

If they outspend Jerry on the Stadium, it will take them YEARS just to break even.

dude you are ridiculous. they built a mecca of a baseball stadium and where has that gotten them? just look at the bluejays to see how the bills would do long term there.

you are going to try and bring ANOTHER sport that isn't one of their own there and say they'll be the most profitiable team in the league? ha ha ha... never will make more than the cowboys, steelers, bears, pats, jets, giants or eagles... not even close.

Toronto is a bad fit for the NFL. period. end of story. It's a bad fit for baseball frankly. They have marketed the crap out of the jays, the skydome was revolutionary in 88, and ever since 94 its all been downhill. maybe other canadians on here can back me up - but toronto sports scene has become all about corporations - the leafs, jays, raptors all bow to the almighty club seats and suites.

Sabres/Bills fan's dont understand this because we are insulated from it in our region. those teams charge a lot, bring in below average fans, and put out a below average product to keep revenue going (i think this will change with hte leafs, however not iwth the raptors or jays anytime soon).

toronto may has as much money as many cities in america, but its not an AMERICAN city. Another hockey team there might do more good finanically then the Bills. Even those Canadiens who are die hard fans realize if Rogers buys the team - they won't be able to afford to go to the games just like they can't afford to go to Leafs games.

Future scenario :

Ralph gives it a good run until 97. Bills in Toronto runs out. Jaguars, Vikings, chargers or raides move to LA (most likely raiders). The ownership team of Jacobs, Bob Rich, Mark Hamister, Jim Kelly, etc buy the bills (Jacobs is primary with the others minority). Jimbo is ownership group liason/consultant with GM/Football operations. Bills win superbowl sometime before I die.

If there is no market available to take them, they will just fold. Its not like they are just going to continue to keep a team in the market and let them lose money if they can't find a new owner to keep them in Buffalo

As for Toronto, the only losing sports team they support is the Leafs. Between Bills fans in Buffalo that refuse to support them when they aren't in buffalo, and Toronto fans not wanting to support a losing team at inflated prices, I'm not surprised they can't sell out. Also add in the fact that they know that this is being done to support a team somewhere else, not in Toronto, and Argo/Ticats fans in the area that are afraid that the NFL could come in and damage their league

If it's in the blackout zone, it doesn't matter if the bar has a dish or not...they legally aren't allowed to carry the game and their receiver won't pick the game up anyway. I remember a long time ago that bars were getting fined for showing blacked out games....they were giving their satellite provider a false address so that they didn't get blacked out. A buddy of mine is a big Browns fan living in Hamburg and his DirecTV is registered to a Cleveland address...so he gets Cleveland local stations and all the Browns games.

What if they have purchased the NFL Sunday Ticket?

dude you are ridiculous. they built a mecca of a baseball stadium and where has that gotten them? just look at the bluejays to see how the bills would do long term there.

you are going to try and bring ANOTHER sport that isn't one of their own there and say they'll be the most profitiable team in the league? ha ha ha... never will make more than the cowboys, steelers, bears, pats, jets, giants or eagles... not even close.

Toronto is a bad fit for the NFL. period. end of story. It's a bad fit for baseball frankly. They have marketed the crap out of the jays, the skydome was revolutionary in 88, and ever since 94 its all been downhill. maybe other canadians on here can back me up - but toronto sports scene has become all about corporations - the leafs, jays, raptors all bow to the almighty club seats and suites.

Sabres/Bills fan's dont understand this because we are insulated from it in our region. those teams charge a lot, bring in below average fans, and put out a below average product to keep revenue going (i think this will change with hte leafs, however not iwth the raptors or jays anytime soon).

toronto may has as much money as many cities in america, but its not an AMERICAN city. Another hockey team there might do more good finanically then the Bills. Even those Canadiens who are die hard fans realize if Rogers buys the team - they won't be able to afford to go to the games just like they can't afford to go to Leafs games.

Future scenario :

Ralph gives it a good run until 97. Bills in Toronto runs out. Jaguars, Vikings, chargers or raides move to LA (most likely raiders). The ownership team of Jacobs, Bob Rich, Mark Hamister, Jim Kelly, etc buy the bills (Jacobs is primary with the others minority). Jimbo is ownership group liason/consultant with GM/Football operations. Bills win superbowl sometime before I die.

Jays and Raptors attendance has been dwindling because of poor products being put out there. The Jays have been a .500 team for the last decade and their only hope of making the playoffs is to beat out the "evil empire" of the Yankees and Red Sox.

If Toronto was successful in getting a team, AND they were competitive year in and year out, they would get support. The Leafs can be horrible and still sell out at high prices because of their tradition and it being Hockey.

These games not selling out does nothing to prove that Toronto is not a viable city for the NFL. What people fail to take into consideration is that people in Toronto don't care about the Buffalo Bills (die hard Bills fans excluded).

toronto, ontario, or canadian gov will not subsidize the construction of a modern NFL facility, ala ford field, lucas oil or cowboy stadium.

No new stadium - no nfl team.

After Skydome (built for over 500 million) sold to rogers for like $25 million, the public support won't be there.

The only justification might be if there were an upcoming olympics, but I think that chicago would be bidding big for 2024, so no new stadium.

However, some Toronto guys just bought a stadium in Pontiac....