Gruden, Cowher, Holmgren, Schottenheimer...

Why will Shanahan be any different and does this mean they will 100% not take the offer, or do they just want to weigh their options?

Is this a blessing in disguise?

Just because a "big-name" Coach has won the Super Bowl, does not mean he could come into Buffalo and turn this all around, to do so again. Maybe a younger, up and coming, fiery and passionate guy is the answer? It certainly has been the case in the last couple years.

I really liked the idea of Marty as GM and his son as Coach.

"Multiple reports have stated Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher and Mike Holmgren have rebuffed overtures from the Buffalo Bills about discussing their coaching vacancy. Marty Schottenheimer publicly stated he wasn't interested."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4690597

Ugh....

Cowher is not interviewing with ANYBODY until after the season

Holmgren is only interested in a front office position

Marty is not interested in coming out of retirement to coach, for ANYBODY.

Shanny met with us.

Can these lame threads please stop.

Ugh....

Shanny met with us.

I'm praying for a thread telling us how the Bills interviewed Holmgren for the GM job. You know, the job he actually WANTS? And the one we NEED more than a coach?

I'm praying for a thread telling us how the Bills interviewed Holmgren for the GM job. You know, the job he actually WANTS? And the one we NEED more than a coach?

Holmgren sucked as GM in Seattle. He was GM/coach. His teams were 7-9. 8-8.9-7 year after year after year. Once they finally stripped him of GM duties and got a real GM, then things took off. Maybe he's learned his lesson. I don't know.

Maybe a younger, up and coming, fiery and passionate guy is the answer? It certainly has been the case in the last couple years.

Really, the last few years? From what I remember (because I read things) Coughlin has been around the block in places like Jacksonville for a while before winning one with the Giants in '08. Dungy around for a while in Tampa Bay before winning with the Colts, wasn't he? Tomlin doesn't count because the Rooneys picked him, and they're the smartest owners in football by far. Even so, Blade's predecessor in Pitt was snapping his carrot around for several years before winning one in Steel City, so methinks your statement holds very little water. OTOH, it could hold gallons of horses**t.

Ugh....

Shanny met with us.

....and Gruden said NO to everyone by signing with ESPN.

If the Bills have publicly stated they would pay 10 million for Shanahan, wouldn't he be a fool to accept a job now when he could get the Washington job for more money?

The Chargers WILL fire Norv Turner should they fail to make the playoffs...Wade Phillips WILL be fired in Dallas should they fail to make the playoffs.

John Fox is almost history in Carolina-Gary Kubiak is almost history in Houston-Lovie Smith is almost history in Chicago. All these could be looking to hire a head coach.

We already know Eric Mangini is gone in Cleveland, Tom cable is gone in Oakland, Jim Zorn is gone in Washington, Jauron gone in Buffalo, is 4 for certain. It will be 7-10 by the end of the season.

Why would anyone take a job for 10 million now if they can get more money from wealthier teams.

With both Dallas and Washington in the mix, the bidding on Shanahan could go as high as 14 mill a year easily.

im not so sure all those jobs you listed will be open. The Chargers and Cowboys are both making the playoffs. Chicago and Carolina both have a chance as well. Zorn is out probably.... Is Mangini definitely out?

Agree...I'm sick of reading about the '10-12 openings' that are going to be happening this year. Not gon happen.

Ugh....

Shanny met with us.

I totally agree with your post. Although, because of the team's history, I don't have alot of faith in the Front Office at OBD, some of these threads are useless, factless, and only started to see what reactions they can get. Some of these idiots need to get a life, seriously.

If the Bills have publicly stated they would pay 10 million for Shanahan, wouldn't he be a fool to accept a job now when he could get the Washington job for more money?

I didn't see where they "publicly announced" they would pay 10 million-only speculaton.

The Chargers WILL fire Norv Turner should they fail to make the playoffs...Wade Phillips WILL be fired in Dallas should they fail to make the playoffs.

Useless line item, both teams are going to make the playoffs. Look at their standings in their divisions? S.D. is one of the hottest teams in the AFC.

John Fox is almost history in Carolina-Gary Kubiak is almost history in Houston-Lovie Smith is almost history in Chicago. All these could be looking to hire a head coach.

Not sure John Fox is going anywhere, unless they can get Cowher, who wants to coach there because he would be at home. Kubiak is not almost history in Houston, they are having the best season in their franchise's history. Lovie Smith will be fired, but the Bears don't tend to sign big name coaches, always former coordinators.

We already know Eric Mangini is gone in Cleveland, Tom cable is gone in Oakland, Jim Zorn is gone in Washington, Jauron gone in Buffalo, is 4 for certain. It will be 7-10 by the end of the season.

If Cable is fired in Oakland, none of these big named coaches will go there, they won't work with Al Davis and be his puppet. The only one of those 3 teams you mentioned here that would pay big bucks for a coach is the Redskins, and with Daniel Snyder's shaky history, they might think twice about going there.

Why would anyone take a job for 10 million now if they can get more money from wealthier teams.

With both Dallas and Washington in the mix, the bidding on Shanahan could go as high as 14 mill a year easily.

Chargers are 7-3, Cowboys are 7-3. Both Wade Phillips and Norv Turner are fine. What do you think Head coaches are just fired because they fail making the playoffs?

Gary Kubiak changed everybody's view of a Houston team that was terrible b4 he came. The Texans are in the playoff race and until they have a bad season Kubiak won't be fired.

John Fox turned around Carolina from their horrible start. Plus, the fans love im down there.

Mangini, Cable, and Zorn are probably the coaches that will be fired after this year. In my mind, Washington is the only place where a coach would want to go over Buffalo out of the teams with empty space.

Lovie is almost certainly gone in Chicago after this season. Word on the street is that Shanny and Cowher both have a particular interest in that opening.

Shanahan's originally from Oak Park, IL - I'd think anyone would love the opportunity to coach his home-town team.

Don't see Cowher picking BuffTown over DC either. Holmgren wants to run things in Seattle, and is friendly with Seahawks owner Paul Allen. Schottenheimer has said he's staying retired and Gruden's staying at ESPN. Ralph may well be forced to look toward an unconventional choice, maybe someone like...

Mike Leach

Really, the last few years? From what I remember (because I read things) Coughlin has been around the block in places like Jacksonville for a while before winning one with the Giants in '08. Dungy around for a while in Tampa Bay before winning with the Colts, wasn't he? Tomlin doesn't count because the Rooneys picked him, and they're the smartest owners in football by far. Even so, Blade's predecessor in Pitt was snapping his carrot around for several years before winning one in Steel City, so methinks your statement holds very little water. OTOH, it could hold gallons of horses**t.

Yeah, you are right you !@#$ING schmuck!

I will compare you're Coughlin, whos Giants are FALLING APART...and you're Tony Dungy WHO CAME TO THE BUCS AS A COORDINATOR, and is now out of the league...WITH MY DOZEN+ coordinators turned head coach who are doing well!

Lets check it out...

Miami Dolphins - Tony Sparano (never a HC)

New York Jets - Rex Ryan (never a HC)

Baltimore Ravens - John Harbaugh (never a HC)

Pittsburgh Steelers - Mike Tomlin (never a HC)

Indianapolis Colts - Jim Caldwell (never a HC)

Denver Broncos - Josh McDaniels (never a HC)

San Francisco 49ers - Mike Singletary (never a HC)

Wanna go back a few years and look at this scenario ya stupid !@#$ ?

Houston Texans - Gary Kubiak (was never a HC)

Chicago Bears - Lovie Smith (was never a HC)

Green Bay Packers - Mike McCarthy (was never a HC)

Minnesota Vikings - Brad Childress (was never a HC)

Atlanta Falcons - Mike Smith (was never a HC)

New Orleans - Sean Payton (was never a HC)

Arizona Cardinals - Ken Whisenhunt (was never a HC)

EVERYONE SINGLE ONE OF THESE COACHES WERE HIRED AS COORDINATORS AND THEY NOW HAVE THEIR TEAMS AT THE TOP OF THEIR RESPECTIVE DIVISIONS.

and even guys like Mangini, Haley, Schwartz, Morris and Spagnoulo...all seem to be trying to at least change the culture that surrounds their losing franchises. Eric Mangini faired pretty well in New York, after never having been a HC. Jim Schwartz and Raheem Morris have also found themselves franchise Quarterbacks.

Now where is your argument you worthless piece of ****?

Ugh....

Shanny met with us.

Don't waste your time opening and reading it if ya dont like it!

Ya little whiney B word.

I will compare your Coughlin, whose Giants are FALLING APART...and your Tony Dungy WHO CAME TO THE BUCS AS A COORDINATOR, and is now out of the league...WITH MY DOZEN+ coordinators turned head coach who are doing well!

Lets check it out...

Miami Dolphins - Tony Sparano (never a HC)

New York Jets - Rex Ryan (never a HC)

Baltimore Ravens - John Harbaugh (never a HC)

Pittsburgh Steelers - Mike Tomlin (never a HC)

Indianapolis Colts - Jim Caldwell (never a HC)

Denver Broncos - Josh McDaniels (never a HC)

San Francisco 49ers - Mike Singletary (never a HC)

Wanna go back a few years and look at this scenario ya stupid !@#$ ?

Houston Texans - Gary Kubiak (was never a HC)

Chicago Bears - Lovie Smith (was never a HC)

Green Bay Packers - Mike McCarthy (was never a HC)

Minnesota Vikings - Brad Childress (was never a HC)

Atlanta Falcons - Mike Smith (was never a HC)

New Orleans - Sean Payton (was never a HC)

Arizona Cardinals - Ken Whisenhunt (was never a HC)

EVERYONE SINGLE ONE OF THESE COACHES WERE HIRED AS COORDINATORS AND THEY NOW HAVE THEIR TEAMS AT THE TOP OF THEIR RESPECTIVE DIVISIONS.

This is very compelling stuff.

It also strengthens the argument that this team needs to hire a solid, experienced GM first, and then let that person hire the coach.

BTW, does anyone really think that paying a big name coach $10 million per year will increase our chances of success as opposed to hiring a top GM and an unproven coach for quite possibly less than $10 million?

This is very compelling stuff.

It also strengthens the argument that this team needs to hire a solid, experienced GM first, and then let that person hire the coach.

BTW, does anyone really think that paying a big name coach $10 million per year will increase our chances of success as opposed to hiring a top GM and an unproven coach for quite possibly less than $10 million?

Thank you for having a brain and seeing my CLEAR and OBVIOUS point!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family San Jose Bills Fan!

Thank you for having a brain and seeing my CLEAR and OBVIOUS point!!!

Perhaps, although I'm not sure how you can say that Minnesota, Green Bay, and Chicago all have coaches who "have brought their teams to the top of their respective division," considering that:

(a) they are all in the same division,

(b) only Minnesota is really at the top of the division, with Green Bay hovering around mediocrity and Chicago in a free-fall,

(c ) Minnesota's coach was widely considered to be on the hot seat this season and lucked out by getting a youthful Brett Favre, and

(d) Chicago's coach is almost certainly going to be fired at the end of the season.

I don't necessarily disagree with your approach or argument, just pointing out it isn't as clear and obvious as you would like it to be.

The Bills have not stated they will offer anyone $10 mil

All talk of numbers is just media speculation growing out of the Vic Carucci article

However, it would not surprise me that Brandon started the $10 mil rumor to get the fans all excited.

Perhaps, although I'm not sure how you can say that Minnesota, Green Bay, and Chicago all have coaches who "have brought their teams to the top of their respective division," considering that:

(a) they are all in the same division,

(b) only Minnesota is really at the top of the division, with Green Bay hovering around mediocrity and Chicago in a free-fall,

(c ) Minnesota's coach was widely considered to be on the hot seat this season and lucked out by getting a youthful Brett Favre, and

(d) Chicago's coach is almost certainly going to be fired at the end of the season.

I don't necessarily disagree with your approach or argument, just pointing out it isn't as clear and obvious as you would like it to be.

If you saw where I said those guys were from a couple/few years ago, you would understand my argument a little better.

Lovie Smith comes into Chicago (as a hot DC) after NEVER being a HC and takes them to the Super Bowl

Mike McCarthy comes into Green Bay, never being a HC...and turns them around...almost taking them to the Super Bowl.

Brad Childress comes into Minnesota, never being a HC, and completely turns that team around...BEFORE Brett came in.