The market for Travis Henry

Coach Tuesday

This may actually be the WORST offseason of the last 10 years to try to obtain value for a running back. As I count them, the following running backs will be free agents or trade assets, which will no doubt affact the market for TH:

Shaun Alexander (will likely go to Miami)

Rudi Johnson

Ricky Williams (not a FA but will be traded, perhaps to the Raiders)

LaMont Jordan

Anthony Thomas

Edgerrin James

Michael Bennett

It will be tough to land a #2 for Henry with that market...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This may actually be the WORST offseason of the last 10 years to try to obtain value for a running back.  As I count them, the following running backs will be free agents or trade assets, which will no doubt affact the market for TH:

Rudi Johnson

LaMont Jordan

Anthony Thomas

Edgerrin James

Michael Bennett

It will be tough to land a #2 for Henry with that market...

122773[/snapback]

Two are probowlers like Henry has been.

Agreed. Addition by subtraction is the proper formula now. We don't need a RB who doesn't want to be here. Just get what you can.

I never believed the market for him this past summer was hot, even if TD shopped him around. ( speculation ). Too many negatives.

Teams will know the pricetag with Henry though. He's underpaid by NFL standards. If a team thinks they need a back to get them over the hump, but not cost big bucks, TH is their man. Think about Indy's situation assuming James leaves. Team has little cap space, is close to the promised land etc. TH could be an excellent fit for the Colts.

We just won't tell them that he won't block and can't catch. :)

Rudi Johnson

LaMont Jordan

Anthony Thomas

Edgerrin James

Michael Bennett

Alexander will be re-signed by Seattle. James will end up in Miami.

Alexander will likely be kept by Seattle. I'd expect maybe to see James go to Miami. The rest aren't as good as Henry and haven't made the Pro Bowl. Williams is a special case because of his drug history and the fact that he said he only wants to play 1 more season. No one will give up a lot to get him and I'd be willing to bet that the conditions a potential team places on him will make him think twice about coming back.

Everything I've heard indicates Seattle doesn't want to keep Alexander - for whatever reason, they don't think he's "tough enough." I expect a bidding war to take place between the Raiders, Eagles and Dolphins for James and Alexander, with Seattle ending up with one guy I left off of my list - believe it or not - Marshall Faulk.

Everything I've heard indicates Seattle doesn't want to keep Alexander - for whatever reason, they don't think he's "tough enough."  I expect a bidding war to take place between the Raiders, Eagles and Dolphins for James and Alexander, with Seattle ending up with one guy I left off of my list - believe it or not - Marshall Faulk.

122812[/snapback]

For what it's worth, a college buddy of mine is an estate attorney in Philly and his firm does some work for a few Eagle's players. He was told by one of the Olinement that Modrak has already spoken to people in the Eagles organization and that it is very possible that Henry will end up there.

I guess being the odd man out in buffalo might be a good thing. Play for the train wreck bills or for the dominant eagles.....hard choice. Again...for what it's worth, which is second hand hearsay.

I think they both end up staying with their current teams.

122885[/snapback]

I would have to disagree with you. Edge is my fantasy back so i watch him quite frequently. To be honest, the team doesn't really drop off with D. Rhodes in, in place of Edge. I don't think colts can or want to pay him top dollar. I think Miami is very probable. So he can go back and hang out with his old pals.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

and there are a few college backs that will be 1st rd picks.

If they are lucky enough to get a 2nd rounder I'd be happy.

He is lacking in too many areas to get a 1st. No breakaway speed, poor blocker, and he can't catch even though some here before the season claimed he was a good receiver.

Everything I've heard indicates Seattle doesn't want to keep Alexander - for whatever reason, they don't think he's "tough enough."  I expect a bidding war to take place between the Raiders, Eagles and Dolphins for James and Alexander, with Seattle ending up with one guy I left off of my list - believe it or not - Marshall Faulk.

122812[/snapback]

Seattle already has Maurice Morris to take over for Alexander

The pronlm with the scenario is that most of those teams don't have obvious heir apparents. Thus, the market for RBs should be vibrant.

The true concern about TH's marketability is that the league knows his weaknesses better than the sages here do.

I think they both end up staying with their current teams.

122885[/snapback]

Manning's contract pretty much dictates that Edge or Harrison or both will be gone.

since manning's throwing the ball, he will probably lobby to keep Harrison especially after going out of his way to keep Marvin's stats done in his contract year.

Alexander will likely be kept by Seattle.  I'd expect maybe to see James go to Miami.  The rest aren't as good as Henry and haven't made the Pro Bowl.  Williams is a special case because of his drug history and the fact that he said he only wants to play 1 more season.  No one will give up a lot to get him and I'd be willing to bet that the conditions a potential team places on him will make him think twice about coming back.

122805[/snapback]

henry really wasn't a pro bowler - he was an alternate who got to go because priest holmes didn't go. he was the 4th choice in 2002 - hardly something to be crowing about.

a 3rd rounder is all i see them getting - he has some real skills, but he can't break big runs, he's a woeful blocker and receiver, and he's got a decent amount of mileage already with the nicks to go with it. in any event, i'd take a 3rd rounder - he was a very late 2nd round choice himself, so that would make a certain amount of sense. good running backs are a dime a dozen, and teams know it. henry is good (not great), but he's not really any better than anthony thomas.

Its unlikely many of the teams with those players are going to let them go, so expect at least half of them to be signed by their own teams. I suspect there will be interest in TH and expect we will get a second or at worst third round pick.