New Vic Carucci article

Jerry Jabber

Gruden already did. Don't overestimate how much no one wants to coach and build this team. The Bills are a LOOOOOOOONG way from good and have an ownership situation that could get a lot worse (meaning the Bills could get a lot worse).

Are they really that bad off? I think the watered down league will let a well coached team compete for a spot almost immediately. Hell, let at how much this oft injured, poorly coached and undermanned team has achieved......

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gruden already did. Don't overestimate how much no one wants to coach and build this team. The Bills are a LOOOOOOOONG way from good and have an ownership situation that could get a lot worse (meaning the Bills could get a lot worse).

That's a very naive statement.

In the NFL, teams can be rebuilt, re-tooled and winning in 2-3 seasons. A quality front office that can hit on high draft choices & sign the appropriate free agents combined with an effective coaching staff can work wonders.

I'm not implying that this will be the case with the Bills, but it can happen in this league.

I highly doubt any owner in his right mind would allow Shanahan to have as much free reign as he had in Denver, even Daniel Snyder.

I think at this point the Bills are so desperate for a winning head coach they are talking out of desperation with 10 million a year, or at least starting rumors to that effect.

There are other SB winning coaches out there that would work for much less and probably do a better job "IF" the Bills have the proper talent evaluator in GM / President in place AND hire the right coordinators.

Lets face it Jauron knew DB's and that's about it, even then he chose wrong several times.

????

In 14 seasons, his defenses finished in the top half of the league 11 times and in the top 10 seven times.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/

Stop with the facts dave. We all know that since Shanny's defense was piss poor in his last season in denver, it means that his defense was always terrible.

I got to admit Shanahan was one of my top choices, but after reading that, it would not hurt my feelings if the Bills said no.

Early in Shanahan's Denver tenure, he was just the head coach. Then at some point they made him head coach/GM. I think things started going downhill at or somewhat after that point.

I like Shanahan as a head coach but not as a GM. If he'd accept a head coach-only type position, I'd say we definitely pull the trigger. If he demands to be GM too, we should pass. A good GM (which Shanahan is not) is even more important than a good head coach (which Shanahan clearly is).

Stop with the facts dave. We all know that since Shanny's defense was piss poor in his last season in denver, it means that his defense was always terrible.

Yes, way to be a dick about it. Are you telling me you're not concerned that his defense was 28th and 30th in points the last two seasons??

I agree. If Ralph is serious about offering $10 million a year, or how Vic put it in the article "Whatever it takes", Shanahan or some other top coach will come here. Who in their right mind would pass up $10 million a year?

Someone who doesn't need the money and is offered $7-9million to go to a franchise having a updated facilities, a new stadium and an owner with some miles left whose franchise isn't going to be sold, moved to who-knows-where and re-staffed top to bottom the instant he passes. I believe Cowher, Billick, Shanahan, Gruden and any NFL head coach worth a darn fits that description nicely.

That's a very naive statement.

In the NFL, teams can be rebuilt, re-tooled and winning in 2-3 seasons. A quality front office that can hit on high draft choices & sign the appropriate free agents combined with an effective coaching staff can work wonders.

I'm not implying that this will be the case with the Bills, but it can happen in this league.

What if Ralph dies in the middle of said process? I'll tell you: the whole thing gets turned upside down. No quality coach with other options is going anywhere near this combination disaster/timebomb. Sorry guys, its Weis , Haslett or someone similar for this franchise until long term ownership is in place. and ralph is anything but long term...

Yes, way to be a dick about it. Are you telling me you're not concerned that his defense was 28th and 30th in points the last two seasons??

He can respond for himself, but I tend to look at the long haul, not one or two seasons. I strongly suspect that this is a pointless conversation anyway because I don't think there's much of a chance of Shanahan coming to Buffalo. People neglect to account for the fact that these guys want to win, and being in the same division as Belichick/Parcells means that finishing third most seasons is a very real possiblility. There are other reasons for not coming to Buffalo too, of course (i.e., the owner). I'm sure that anyone who considers going to Buffalo will put a call into AJ Smith, Bill Polian, Mike Mularkey, Tom Donohoe, and Gregg Williams.

After reading that, it seems like Shanahan might not be the best option after all

Let's all take a deep breath and think about this. TEN MILLION for a football coach? This all seems really crazy. I think the Bills Organization needs to slow down and think about this. First the job is offered to Gruden, then Cowher turns us down, now Shanahan and Holmgren. What the hell is going on?

Let's all take a deep breath and think about this. TEN MILLION for a football coach? This all seems really crazy. I think the Bills Organization needs to slow down and think about this. First the job is offered to Gruden, then Cowher turns us down, now Shanahan and Holmgren. What the hell is going on?

If Ralph really wanted to right the ship... Sell the team. Find a guy willing to buy the team from his estate at the time of his death. Ralph owns the team for as long as he lives and the sale is final upon his death while the new owner owns a small percentage of the team now. The new owner could go through the approval process with the NFL owners and be an active member in the interview process with Ralph. When Ralph dies one would hope the coach would already be approved by the new owner. Next step would be finding someone who wants to keep the team in Buffalo. Build a new stadium on the waterfront and get the blow you away facilities that every other team has. Otherwise stop wasting my and everyone elses time with this nonsense of Bill Cowher and all the rest because we all dont need this kind of headache.

Early in Shanahan's Denver tenure, he was just the head coach. Then at some point they made him head coach/GM. I think things started going downhill at or somewhat after that point.

Surprisingly right around the same time his HOF quarterback retired. Holmgren failed in Seattle as GM because he no longer had Favre. Teams win/lose because of their quarterback.

Surprisingly right around the same time his HOF quarterback retired. Holmgren failed in Seattle as GM because he no longer had Favre. Teams win/lose because of their quarterback.

Shanny had a winning record with 4 different starting QBs at the helm in Denver. Elway, Greise, Plummer and Cutler.

If Ralph really wanted to right the ship... Sell the team. Find a guy willing to buy the team from his estate at the time of his death. Ralph owns the team for as long as he lives and the sale is final upon his death while the new owner owns a small percentage of the team now. The new owner could go through the approval process with the NFL owners and be an active member in the interview process with Ralph. When Ralph dies one would hope the coach would already be approved by the new owner. Next step would be finding someone who wants to keep the team in Buffalo. Build a new stadium on the waterfront and get the blow you away facilities that every other team has. Otherwise stop wasting my and everyone elses time with this nonsense of Bill Cowher and all the rest because we all dont need this kind of headache.

Good post. I don't write on these boards often, but read them daily. After reading that article, the situation seems kinda bleak if you ask me. None of these guys want to touch this team for that kind of money? We gotta make some eye opening free agency moves to gain some attention, but the problem is that it doesn't seem there is anybody to go after of that caliber, am I'm mainly talking about a QB here. As much as a big name coach would create excitment, we have a talent problem here, I like our D at times, but with all the injuries, who knows. Our O line and QB situation is a disaster and go ahead and bash me if you like, but Lynch isn't even a top 20 back. I was at the game in Jax this weekend and couldn't believe how slow and one dimensional he looked. I don't know what the answer is, but if we have to continue to build this thing from rock bottom, maybe we should get a young and inspired coach and hope he is the catalyst.

Good post. I don't write on these boards often, but read them daily. After reading that article, the situation seems kinda bleak if you ask me. None of these guys want to touch this team for that kind of money? We gotta make some eye opening free agency moves to gain some attention, but the problem is that it doesn't seem there is anybody to go after of that caliber, am I'm mainly talking about a QB here. As much as a big name coach would create excitment, we have a talent problem here, I like our D at times, but with all the injuries, who knows. Our O line and QB situation is a disaster and go ahead and bash me if you like, but Lynch isn't even a top 20 back. I was at the game in Jax this weekend and couldn't believe how slow and one dimensional he looked. I don't know what the answer is, but if we have to continue to build this thing from rock bottom, maybe we should get a young and inspired coach and hope he is the catalyst.

I think your right. We may need to show we are a serious team before a serious coach gets here. In the meantime, get a good GM and a good young coach like Fraizer from Minn or Harbaugh from Stanford.

I think your right. We may need to show we are a serious team before a serious coach gets here. In the meantime, get a good GM and a good young coach like Fraizer from Minn or Harbaugh from Stanford.

So before we can hire a good coach, we need a team so good that it doesn't need a good coach? Brilliant!

After reading that, it seems like Shanahan might not be the best option after all

You maybe right but here's the twist to it.

Ralph has the money so he has the control. If he feels that Mike's DC is not up to snuff, he should tell him that he should hire another DC with a better track record. If Shanahan doesnt go for it, say bye bye.

You still have to stop the other team from scoring. Denver's D in the last few yrs under Shanahan was terrible. See last years Bills game.

If it is a package deal I would pass.

I don't agree with this at all. No team in the NFL is a long way from good. That's how teams can go from 1-15 one year, then winning their division the next.

And as far as the "ownership situation," when it changes, it's only going to get better. And part of the "situation" is that Ralph won't part with his greenbacks. But he's going to now. So what's the situation.

A little credibility in the front office and at the HC position, and free agents will want to come here.

And the fan base .. with the exception of some of the hate filled ones ... is one of the best in the NFL, too.

The Bills have at least 3-4 huge holes on the O-line (not sold on Levitre and who now knows about Wood...obviously bboth tackles are needed). They have nothing at QB. They have no TE. And they have no number 1 WR. Yes, they have RBs. So the offense is need in need of complete revamping.

On defense, they have good safeties and corners but the D-line is OK (not great) and old so it needs a complete overhaul. They have one OK LB in Poz and no one else to speak of. So defense is need of just about complete overhaul.

That's about 3 really good drafts worth of players and some FA pickups and a few years of maturity...sounds like a 5 year rebuilding.

The only FAs the Bills will land are those like TO who no one wanted or Stroud who was a guy who'd worn out his welcome but turned out to be a great pickup. The top guys are going to the Pats, Cowboys, Chargers, etc.

There is no GM in Buffalo, which means a new GM has to come in and set up his entire scouting system. That won't happen overnight. So the front office is a mess.

The ownership won't be the the same in 5 years which means a head coach has no idea if an interim or future owner will be dedicated to rebuilding or moving the team. Not to mention that the current owner has an awful history. So the ownership is !@#$ed.

So keep being funny in this thread thinking that some hot successful coach would want to come to Buffalo. Successful coaches want to win and Buffalo is not set up to do that.

But you are right, the fans will keep coming.