Shanahan

cwchze

reasons:

1. won super bowl twice...very rarely had a bad team even after elway left..

2. runs the ball....should be a buffalo staple...

3. has an exciting offense.....lot better than the crap we have had for 10 years....

4.makes corret decisions in games.....no need to refute....

5. BEATS the patriots......not afraid of them like the bills are.....

6.will run the 3-4......read report that he is studying the 3-4 defense during this

year....that is the defense to run in this wheather.....!!!!!no more of this tampa 2 crap....

7. knows the afc inside and out.....not coming in here underprepared..

8. best coach/gm/director of football ops. out there.....

9. not afraid of making deals to acquire talent......happenend all the time in denver...even

if some didn't work out......

10.finally-he is in no way shape or form Dick........

fire away....

This pretty much ends the debate for me. They better not let him leave here without a deal. Shanahan would be the best coach for the job.

Poz would be awesome in a 3-4. He would be a Chris Spielman-like playmaker. It hides his lack of speed a bit more than a 4-3.

Of course, if we go 3-4, does this mean we take a big run at a free agent NT? Wilfork? I think the SD guy and the Pit guy may also be free agents.

reasons:

1. won super bowl twice...very rarely had a bad team even after elway left..

2. runs the ball....should be a buffalo staple...

3. has an exciting offense.....lot better than the crap we have had for 10 years....

4.makes corret decisions in games.....no need to refute....

5. BEATS the patriots......not afraid of them like the bills are.....

6.will run the 3-4......read report that he is studying the 3-4 defense during this

year....that is the defense to run in this wheather.....!!!!!no more of this tampa 2 crap....

7. knows the afc inside and out.....not coming in here underprepared..

8. best coach/gm/director of football ops. out there.....

9. not afraid of making deals to acquire talent......happenend all the time in denver...even

if some didn't work out......

10.finally-he is in no way shape or form Dick........

fire away....

That's a very strong post. I agree with all of it except point #8. Shanahan as coach = exactly what this team needs. Shanahan as GM = not good. His mistakes as a GM are what got him fired from Denver. No need to go down that road again.

That's a very strong post. I agree with all of it except point #8. Shanahan as coach = exactly what this team needs. Shanahan as GM = not good. His mistakes as a GM are what got him fired from Denver. No need to go down that road again.

Not sure about that. He spent Bowlen's money liberally (per Vic Carucci below), but was always will to try and improve the team. With Shanny, you would not see Langston Walker cut two days before camp.

I am also willing to believe that the man may have made some mistakes, but learned from them. When someone gets fired unexpectedly, you probably do a little soul searching. I think Shanahan would be terrific with the Bills.

Getting good means allowing the new coach to spend money on players in free agency. With Shanahan, there is no limit to such spending. In fact, according to a source close to the Broncos, he spent his former employer into a $29 million salary-cap hole, which was a large part of the reason their owner, Pat Bowlen, decided to part ways with him. If a player didn't pan out, Shanahan would shrug and tell his personnel staff to merely search for a replacement, not giving a second thought to the wasted signing bonuses that continued to pile up.

Within the Broncos, Shanahan earned the nickname "Let's get another guy" because that was what he would always offer as a solution to whatever competitive problem the Broncos faced. And we haven't even addressed the additional cash Shanahan readily doled out to what had grown into one of the NFL's largest support staffs. Under Shanahan, the Broncos actually had a "team masseuse" on the payroll.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81474bb9

Not sure about that. He spent Bowlen's money liberally (per Vic Carucci below), but was always will to try and improve the team.

Unfortunately, liberal spending is exactly what this team can't afford. The salary cap has risen considerably these past few years, even though shared revenues have remained stagnant. I read something indicating that if this team were to spend up to the true salary cap, it would lose money. Hence its "cash to the cap" self-imposed spending limit. A good GM needs to be able to stretch dollars and make them go further; a trait Shanahan hadn't displayed in his GM role back in Denver.

With Shanny, you would not see Langston Walker cut two days before camp.

Agreed. But under Russ Brandon, you won't see a third round pick get squandered on Maurice Clarett.

If you look at Shanahan's head coaching record overall, it's very impressive. But in his last three years in Denver, he averaged about 8 wins a season. One possible explanation for this drop-off in wins is that the quality of the coaching declined. This doesn't seem likely, because they had the same guy as head coach throughout.

Another possible explanation is that the drop-off in wins was due to Shanahan's work as general manager. Suppose that the inflow of talent (from drafts, signings, etc.) failed to equal the outflow of talent (free agency losses, retirements, guys getting old/washed up, etc.). You'd expect to see a gradual decline in the team's record, until it reached its new, lower level, steady state. I think that's more or less what we witnessed.

No one has to sell me on the idea of Shanahan as a head coach!! :lol: But I don't think he'd be an optimal general manager. If he tries to do both, he'll likely succeed at neither.

He spends his time off at Patriots camp as Bellichek's guest, at University of Florida as Urban Meyer's guest and in Philly as Andy Reid's guest. Seems the high end of the coaching community respects Shanahan. Get Shanny and Phil Savage in here as Personnel Director and get this turned around.

146-91 :lol:

'nuff said.

3-4 Defense (with who we have)

DE - Williams

NT - Stroud (but would need someone else)

DE - 3rd Round Draft Pick/Free Agent (assuming we take QB/OL 1-2)

OLB - Harris

ILB - Poz

ILB - Mitchell

OLB - Maybin

FS - Byrd

SS - Scott

CB - McKelvin

CB - McGee

Cody from Alabama (?) as your Nose...big responsibility for a rookie though.

The man has proven himself as an excellent coach year after year. Looking at a small segment of work to criticize someone like this is myopic. That's like saying Montana sucked as a QB except the years he won the SuperBowl.

Plus you might get his son eventually, who runs the most innovative offense in the league (Texans), who can take over from his dad when he is done...

3-4 Defense (with who we have)

DE - Williams

NT - Stroud (but would need someone else)

DE - 3rd Round Draft Pick/Free Agent (assuming we take QB/OL 1-2)

OLB - Harris

ILB - Poz

ILB - Mitchell

OLB - Maybin

FS - Byrd

SS - Scott

CB - McKelvin

CB - McGee

Trade for Shaun Rogers, 4th rounder.

LE-stroud

NT-Rogers-williams backs

RE-Johnson

ROLB-Schobel

ILB Poz

ILB FA signing- Keith Bulluck, Larry Foote, Kirk Morrison, Karlos Dansby, or Clint Ingram

LOLB Mitchell

et cetera

Part of the reason he was fired (so I hear) was due to his renegade way of managing the roster - overpay for someone and just replace them with someone else if they didn't work out. This put Denver into salary cap hell. Plus, losing their last 3 games and missing the division title AND playoffs was probably Bowlen's last straw.

What I do like about Shanahan is that his teams ran the ball well and had very good offensive lines. These were guys that could run block and pass protect because they were more athletic. They were never the biggest OLs, but quick, fast, and strong allowing them to do whatever they needed to. This is why his offenses were so good.

I honestly can't remember his defenses very well, despite everyone on this board saying how they sucked. But in his 14 years in Denver, those defenses averaged around 11th best in the league in yards given up. Only twice in those 14 seasons were his defenses ranked worse than 20th, one of which came in his final year (29th). So, the numbers don't necessarily indicate his defenses "sucked". With the offenses he had, that can make up for the types of defenses those Broncos teams had.

I also hate how some coaches come in and try to install a system because they're familiar with it. The best thing to do, IMO, is to run an offense/defense around the talent you have. Parcells did this for years, which is why he was successful everywhere he went. Did the West Coast offense help Rob Johnson? How has the Tampa-2 defense worked out here?

I agree. How many times would the Broncos have a 1,000 yard rusher - Bell, Anderson, Gary - and the next year he would be sitting on the bench? It was always stranger to me - just saying.

I'm just curious why people think Kyle Williams could be a 3-4 end. Most dends is a 3-4 are 6'4 320+ like Ty Warren, Richard Seymour.

Williams has the speed of an end. Not as fast as a Bruce Smith type (who was only 270). He would have to play as your LDE as you would want a traditional speed rusher on the QB's blind side.

As for size, most 3-4 ends run between 6'3" - 6'5" and run between 285-305. Kyle Williams is short at 6'1" - 305, but his speed makes up for his lack of height. Seymour and Warren are both on the taller side (6'6" - 310 and 6'5" - 305), but they are the exception, not the rule.

Trade for Shaun Rogers, 4th rounder.

LE-stroud

NT-Rogers-williams backs

RE-Johnson

ROLB-Schobel

ILB Poz

ILB FA signing- Keith Bulluck, Larry Foote, Kirk Morrison, Karlos Dansby, or Clint Ingram

LOLB Mitchell

et cetera

I question whether Stroud has the speed. Schobel will be gone next year - he is too old - he was already totally ineffective this year.