What's with all the LEAKS out of OBD?

For an organization that normally works hard to operate under a cloak of secrecy, the last week sure has been quite newsworthy, with reports out about several former coaches (Shanahan, Gruden, Cowher, Schottenheimer) being contacted or considered by the Bills. Even salary numbers are being bandied about. What do you make of this? Is there a method behind the madness? I can think of a few possibilities:

- The leaks out of OBD are intentional, designed to create a buzz in the media and among the corps of coaching candidates - the idea being to package Buffalo as a hot destination, and get the word out that the job is lucrative.

- The leaks are coming from the candidates themselves. But would all four of the above named coaches blab this to the media after they hang up the phone with (on) Brandon?

- The leaks out of OBD are accidental, just more evidence of OBD incompetence.

Interested to hear your theories on this. Hoping for some intelligent thought, don't let me down guys - I know you can do it...

For an organization that normally works hard to operate under a cloak of secrecy, the last week sure has been quite newsworthy, with reports out about several former coaches (Shanahan, Gruden, Cowher, Schottenheimer) being contacted or considered by the Bills. Even salary numbers are being bandied about. What do you make of this? Is there a method behind the madness? I can think of a few possibilities:

- The leaks out of OBD are intentional, designed to create a buzz in the media and among the corps of coaching candidates - the idea being to package Buffalo as a hot destination, and get the word out that the job is lucrative.

- The leaks are coming from the candidates themselves. But would all four of the above named coaches blab this to the media after they hang up the phone with (on) Brandon?

Interested to hear your theories on this. Hoping for some intelligent thought, don't let me down guys - I know you can do it...

Diabetes? :wallbash:

or you forgot:

leaks are designed to give the fans the impression that the Bills are doing all they can, but guys just dont want to come here....

so brandon will continue as the gm with the hc from the alouettes or haslett or someone else desperate for an nfl job.

Please excuse me for not remembering who said it (Tim Graham, JW or someone else), but I read that people at OBD are expecting the ax to fall, possibly on them and for that reason, the level of "confidentiality" is disintegrating as people working there are telling anything they know to people (including press sources).

Please excuse me for not remembering who said it (Tim Graham, JW or someone else), but I read that people at OBD are expecting the ax to fall, possibly on them and for that reason, the level of "confidentiality" is disintegrating as people working there are telling anything they know to people (including press sources).

This is the wonder boys plan. Second time I have posted it.

Step 1- Fire coach midseason and allow fans to dream of big hire like Cowher.... No matter what happens rest of the way the sheep are asleep and will follow your every move. It will be like draft day every day because of the possibilities.

Step 2- Media will begin circulating rumors that You- Ralph has finally seen the light and will spend big bucks on coach

Step 3- Include former greats on decision so fan base buys into whoever is hired. Jim Kelly Approved coach and QB.

Step 4- Wait until January and Hire a coordinator from another team with previous head coaching experience. Claim you tried to hire the bigger names but they were not interested.

Step 5- Market, Market, Market.

Step 6- Enjoy a year or two of rebuilding while patient fan base waits for a winning team that will never come.

Step 7- Wait for death and count money.

Step 8- Rinse and Repeat.

Step 1- Fire coach midseason and allow fans to dream of big hire like Cowher.... No matter what happens rest of the way the sheep are asleep and will follow your every move. It will be like draft day every day because of the possibilities.

Step 2- Media will begin circulating rumors that You- Ralph has finally seen the light and will spend big bucks on coach

Step 3- Include former greats on decision so fan base buys into whoever is hired. Jim Kelly Approved coach and QB.

Step 4- Wait until January and Hire a coordinator from another team with previous head coaching experience. Claim you tried to hire the bigger names but they were not interested.

Step 6- Enjoy a year or two of rebuilding while patient fan base waits for a winning team that will never come.

The wonder plan seems to be the way of the past....let's hope it's not the way of the future....but it probably is....

I would buy your argument that its all about "timing" and "smoke and mirrors" if the season ticket deadline for next season was a month from now. But hype at this stage does your marketing no good if you ultimately fire blanks at the end of the process - in fact I would argue that its counterproductive to hype the big-name coaches and then ultimately hire another second or third-tier coach.

Any other theories out there?

or you forgot:

leaks are designed to give the fans the impression that the Bills are doing all they can, but guys just dont want to come here....

so brandon will continue as the gm with the hc from the alouettes or haslett or someone else desperate for an nfl job.

Or ... they intend to go cheap hire ... AGAIN ... but are pretending to chase all these A list guys so they can sell us "We tried, so this scmuck is the best we could do".

99% of the underlings at OBD expect to be canned within the next 6 months. They are all ripe for the pickings when Mort gives a call to OBD.

What about the prospect taht when you go after big names who are not part of a team currently, word is just going to get around? There's no coaching change news int he league aside from the Bills and Browns at this point and it looks like we are the ones making the most noise with contacting the big names. The coaches we are contacting are probably not keeping these calls a big secret either. It could just be that we're the first team to try and have serious conversations with these guys and since this isn't normally our MO (to hire an experienced coach) the league is talking and taking note.

There aren't many good reasons to leak all these specifics on the coaching candidates fromt he Bills perspective other than to make it look like they are trying, but I think at this point, it's going to take more than trying to get the fan base back into it. I don't think anyone is going to care one bit about who they interview or talk to now if they hire Haslet in January. It's certainly not going to sell more tickets.

Or ... they intend to go cheap hire ... AGAIN ... but are pretending to chase all these A list guys so they can sell us "We tried, so this scmuck is the best we could do".

and you think this would make the fans happy? If that is the case, season tickets renewals will go way down.

I would buy your argument that its all about "timing" and "smoke and mirrors" if the season ticket deadline for next season was a month from now. But hype at this stage does your marketing no good if you ultimately fire blanks at the end of the process - in fact I would argue that its counterproductive to hype the big-name coaches and then ultimately hire another second or third-tier coach.

Any other theories out there?

This actually makes the most sense...

What could make the situation with the Bills worse? How about the constant post about how Ralph is trying to screw them with "marketing?" Very deep conspiracy theory, and other than being completely full of s@*t, it might be true...

Billnut, you actually sound like you might know a thing or two about marketing... to bring this up now, and to not have delivered by the ST deadline would be a failure of epic proportions. You wold only be further alienating a tired a weary fan base. Although there is probably no real threat of losing the fan base, why take the chance?

I think they are trying to get the ball rolling and come out swinging into next year. I bet they would like to show potential FA's (TO included) that the losing culture is unacceptable, and despite previously failed attempts, we are going to build a winner...or at least give it an honest effort. We want a coach, and a good one...we know the QB was a problem, we're addressing it, we have great fan base, and if you come in for an interview, you can meet the future owners who will be here to take care of you when I pass on.

Or maybe the leaks are coming from Deepthroat on the Grassy Knoll, and the mafia who has an interest in merchandise sales, DAMN THEM TRYING TO SCREW ME!!! Blah Blah Blah Blah...

I remember reading that but I don't understand the logic. If you know or think you're going to get fired, you tell all - why? Retribution? Is telling all going to make you more attractive to your next employer?

I think it probably has to do with a diminished sense of loyalty due to the fact that they expect to lose their jobs.

Mr. Ralph Wilson has painted himself into the proverbial corner, and his exit or escape route runs through the BIG HIRE! He is either "all in" with this latest assessment of his franchise, or the consequences are dire. The dictum that NO job was safe, really lite me up because they're signalling a total overhaul of the organization, and it's about time!! The fans he has are pretty sauve, and will know, by January, if he followed through on his latest endevour to right the ship in Buffalo. Tough sell? Maybe, however, the coaching hires last year, in large part, are the teams that are floundering right now and change there will be unlikely. Eventually, sheer mathematics could thrust a proven Head Coaching candidate our way. I, for one, am ALL for a proven talent evaluator followed by the new Head Coach. Enough of the cart before the horse thinking!

... to bring this up now, and to not have delivered by the ST deadline would be a failure of epic proportions.

EXACTLY

After a decade of failure and the TO signing last year it's understandable for the fans to be cynical about all the news. But the idea that the leaks are all a marketing ploy MAKES NO SENSE. Put yourself in Brandon's shoes - how would an epic fail on your part be good marketing?