Should Brohm start next week

zazie

No Brohm yet-the guy hasn't played a down in the NFL. He was inactive every game last year & has been on GB's practice squad this year. He's been with the team a few days. What makes you think he's ready to start? Just look at what Sanchez did today & tell us why you want to see that with Brohm.

I don't really care who starts, but it would be nice to see Brohm get a little playing time before the end of the year. There are enough safeguards to protect the QB from injury and our O-line is what it is. If the kid is going to be demoralized because he gets sacked a few more times than he would otherwise, he probably doesn't have the "stuff" anyway. There's no good reason not to play this kid.

I remember Brohm at Louisville when they were high ranked 3 and 4 years ago. I remember in the preseason of his junior year, analysts talked about him as being a preseason heisman candidate. The guy obviously has talent, give him a chance to show it.

Depending on how practice goes this week and as he studies the playbook, he should be a thought for Perry Fewell to start either this sunday vs miami, or 1 week from thursday in Toronto vs NYJ.

Start Brohm

id probably prefer to let Brohm learn and practice for the next few weeks then come out as our starter against K.C. That team is playing tough now, and it would be a real learning experience for Brohm to go into Arrowhead and fight the scrapy chiefs. This is all depending on how smart he is, how well he learns playbook. I thought Fitz had more than a few poor passes but he did alot of good things. He's a decent QB and wouldnt' mind having him fight for a spot on the team next year. If we draft an early round QB no need to send him in right away. Maybe let him sit on the bench for the year learning like how Palmer did in Cincy. Fitz could be the starter next year while we groom Mallet er uh whoever our QB may be. Im not saying i want him to be the starter but i think he should be part of the discussion in the offseason. He should battle Brohm and one of the following for a starter/backup/3rd string role: David Carr, Rex Grossman, Tavaris Jackson and Kyle Boller. So that would be 4 QB's on the roster if we drafted one. Competition makes everyone better.

I don't really care who starts, but it would be nice to see Brohm get a little playing time before the end of the year. There are enough safeguards to protect the QB from injury and our O-line is what it is. If the kid is going to be demoralized because he gets sacked a few more times than he would otherwise, he probably doesn't have the "stuff" anyway. There's no good reason not to play this kid.

Agreed. I also want to see, Hardy, Steve Johnson, & Maybin (maybe some at LB) get in, take their lumps, and see what (if anything) they can do. Evaluation and auditions for next year should begin this week. Get some film of these guys for whoever takes over in the front office at the end of the year.

absolutely not. fitz plays out the season, brohm is for next year...of course, most of the clowns running the ship probably realize there is no next year for them, so it wouldn't surprise me if he shows up

How do you know that Brohm "is for next year"?? He was brought in by this front office, wasn't he? Maybe the new regime won't want anything to do with him. Get him some reps now and give the incoming regime some game tape with which to work.

How do you know that Brohm "is for next year"?? He was brought in by this front office, wasn't he? Maybe the new regime won't want anything to do with him. Get him some reps now and give the incoming regime some game tape with which to work.

i don't know anything, it's what the plan SHOULD be, because putting a rookie QB with 2 or 3 weeks of practice in midseason is absurd... any tape of him with such little preparation with such a mess of an o-line would show nothing.

How frequently do you think a QB without a single NFL snap to his name has changed teams at midseason and then started a game? I'm guessing the number is close to zero, because you can't put someone in that position and expect them to succeed.

i don't know anything, it's what the plan SHOULD be, because putting a rookie QB with 2 or 3 weeks of practice in midseason is absurd... any tape of him with such little preparation with such a mess of an o-line would show nothing.

How frequently do you think a QB without a single NFL snap to his name has changed teams at midseason and then started a game? I'm guessing the number is close to zero, because you can't put someone in that position and expect them to succeed.

You're right, expecting him to succeed in terms of winning games is absurd. That's not the point. We're not going to make the playoffs this year. You have the rest of the season to take advantage of live, full-speed competition. Those are valuable reps, and a fair portion of them should have Brohm's name on them, IMO. Even if all he does is hand it off and throw screen passes for a quarter....who cares? I've heard a lot of rookies say the biggest adjustment from college is the speed of the game. This is a great way to let this kid start getting used to exactly that, and maybe get some throws in here and there, too.

If it were ME in that position? I'd want my coach to assign me a package to learn and then give me as many live reps during games as possible. I would expect that I'm gonna suck at the beginning, so I'd rather suck now and have a step-up come next July.