the current popular myth-jennings is injury prone

dave mcbride

he's been nicked up a bit now and then but has never missed more than a couple of games after his rookie season. and those injuries were legitimate, meaning they weren't the product of some nebulous failing of his internal constitution. sometimes, when a player gets hurt more than once, that doesn't mean he's injury prone. to reiterate, after 2001, in which he missed something to the tune of 5 games (as I recall), he hasn't missed more than a game or two per season. that does not qualify as injury prone - rather, it's typical of all players in the league.

my 2 cents - jennings is a very good player who we should franchise. we'll definitely have the cap room to do it (the cap is not an issue with this team), and we should. the alternative is worse than grim. there will be no good LTs on the market, jennings is 50 times better than price, and we don't even have a first round pick. we'd be lucky to find a player as good as the 2000 version of John Fina. plus, it should be pretty clear to everyone that line continuity is of the utmost importance. think about it.

he's been nicked up a bit now and then but has never missed more than a couple of games after his rookie season. and those injuries were legitimate, meaning they weren't the product of some nebulous failing of his internal constitution.  sometimes, when a player gets hurt more than once, that doesn't mean he's injury prone. to reiterate, after 2001, in which he missed something to the tune of 5 games (as I recall), he hasn't missed more than a game or two per season. that does not qualify as injury prone - rather, it's typical of all players in the league. 

my 2 cents - jennings is a very good player who we should franchise.  we'll definitely have the cap room to do it (the cap is not an issue with this team), and we should. the alternative is worse than grim. there will be no good LTs on the market, jennings is 50 times better than price, and we don't even have a first round pick.  we'd be lucky to find a player as good as the 2000 version of John Fina.  plus, it should be pretty clear to everyone that line continuity is of the utmost importance.  think about it.

122322[/snapback]

Franchise Jennings? He would be underpaid, because with the franchise tag, he would only earn a tad more than 7 million per season.

Imo, he deserves a similar contract to Peyton Manning, or Randy Moss. Jennings is a superstar and it is high time he is shown more respect!

Franchise Jennings? He would be underpaid, because with the franchise tag, he would only earn a tad more than 7 million per season.

Imo, he deserves a similar contract to Peyton Manning, or Randy Moss. Jennings is a superstar and it is high time he is shown more respect!

122334[/snapback]

what's your alternative? because you know as well as i that someone will pay him that much and for good reason - credible LTs are - as always - a rare commodity in the NFL.

what's your alternative? because you know as well as i that someone will pay him that much and for good reason - credible LTs are - as always - a rare commodity in the NFL.

122341[/snapback]

Some say no, but I hope that the Bills take a look at Hopkins who will be a ufa next season. Nothing long term mind you, but from what I have seen, he is at least as good as JJ and might come cheaper because of his age.

Admittedly, this is a stop-gap measure, but I cannot see devoting huge cap dollars to Jennings, especially with what is going on at RT.

122341[/snapback]

hopkins is on the wrong side of 30 and just got hurt. he's been a great player, but i don't think he's the answer. and by the way, i honestly think that jennings is a very good player. he played very well against abraham in his last outing (he played hurt in the first jets game), and did well against the pats.

I think your reasoning should lead to a different conclusion. Everyone gets hurt or has the chance to get hurt occasionally. And when they do, sometimes they miss multiple games. Take for example, Malloy - he just missed like 6-7 weeks of action through preseason, bye-week, etc. Does that make him injury prone? No, as a matter of fact, these were the 1st games he's missed in his career! IIRC, something like 130+ straight games. All players, heck even us 'weekend warriors', frequently have minor ailments, but your Milloys, Teagues & Henrys manage to play w/ them. For your RJs, Jennings, etc. these minor problems are sufficient to sideline them.

Is it their fault that they are prone to getting hurt more frequently &/or more severely than their counterparts w/ stronger constitutions? No, but just like you or I are inferior and unable to produce on the field to them due to our inferior size, strength & speed, so too are 'injury prone' players less productive (& valuable) than those that are healthy enough too contribute.

Some say no, but I hope that the Bills take a look at Hopkins who will be a ufa next season. Nothing long term mind you, but from what I have seen, he is at least as good as JJ and might come cheaper because of his age.

Admittedly, this is a stop-gap measure, but I cannot see devoting huge cap dollars to Jennings, especially with what is going on at RT.

122360[/snapback]

Brad Hopkins isn't a bad short term alternative, infact he's a guy I think Jennings compares to. In both aren't All Pros but they get the job done quietly and are good players. Though if I were Tom Donahoe I'd transition Jennings if have the chance. As if Jennings does get a favorable deal elsewhere we'd have a chance to match it. Chris Samuals and LJ Shelton are two guys who might be available as cap casualities that might be worth looking at but both might command as much if not more then Jennings might on the open market.

Guest Pole 5 Jive
he's been nicked up a bit now and then but has never missed more than a couple of games after his rookie season. and those injuries were legitimate, meaning they weren't the product of some nebulous failing of his internal constitution.  sometimes, when a player gets hurt more than once, that doesn't mean he's injury prone. to reiterate, after 2001, in which he missed something to the tune of 5 games (as I recall), he hasn't missed more than a game or two per season. that does not qualify as injury prone - rather, it's typical of all players in the league. 

my 2 cents - jennings is a very good player who we should franchise.  we'll definitely have the cap room to do it (the cap is not an issue with this team), and we should. the alternative is worse than grim. there will be no good LTs on the market, jennings is 50 times better than price, and we don't even have a first round pick.  we'd be lucky to find a player as good as the 2000 version of John Fina.  plus, it should be pretty clear to everyone that line continuity is of the utmost importance.  think about it.

122322[/snapback]

I attributes his stellar durabilitiness to his mo, ahem, MORE fat diet. Look around the league, the best left tackles, like Willie Roaf, play at about 360. Jonas was way light at like 335 and his muscles was all dried out, causing a lack of flexibilitude, and leading to annoying "pulls". It's true, I read it in SHOUT!(Vol 2 Issue 1). Jonas is a self-starter, he diagnosed the problem last offseason, addressed it, and I got two words for ya'.....CHA CHING! I hope he doesn't go to the Patriots.

Pole 5 Jive (AKA Datshit Israel)

I attributes his stellar durabilitiness to his mo, ahem, MORE fat diet.  Look around the league, the best left tackles, like Willie Roaf, play at about 360.  Jonas was way light at like  335 and his muscles was all dried out, causing a lack of flexibilitude, and leading to annoying "pulls".  It's true, I read it in SHOUT!(Vol 2 Issue 1).  Jonas is a self-starter, he diagnosed the problem last offseason, addressed it, and I got two words for ya'.....CHA  CHING!  I hope he doesn't go to the Patriots.

Pole 5 Jive (AKA Datshit Israel)

122552[/snapback]

That was actually pretty cool :)

Great topic, Dave.

I've been bouncing the same thought around for a little while now. I keep promising myself I'm going to do a little research to compare Jennings' missedgames/year to some of the other top Tackles in the game.

I have no evidence to back this up but I get the feeling the difference in the numbers will probably be negligible.

Cya

Guest EndzoneUsher

Look at this piece from Boston paper. They trash Mike Williams

This and that

One of the Pats players who stood out Sunday against Buffalo was defensive end Ty Warren [news], who was a force in making five tackles. Warren was so omnipresent that Bills running back Willis McGahee never gained more than 3 yards on any carry to the right side. In fact, McGahee was credited with running behind right guard or right tackle eight times and gained 2 yards, with five runs going for a loss or no gain. McGahee's two longest runs - both for 11 yards - came around the left end.

Certainly, Warren played great. But those numbers speak more to the ineptitude of right tackle Mike Williams, the Bills' first-round pick (fourth overall) in 2002 who was so horrendous you had to wonder why Mularkey kept him in the game. Tully Banta-Cain's first half sack also came against Williams. . . .

On the hot seat: Perhaps we'll never know why cornerback Asante Samuel [news] remained on the bench for the entire Bills game, but the fact is the Pats need him back on the field if they are to truly withstand injuries to Law and Poole. At some point, the Randall Gay-Earthwind Moreland combo has to be exposed, doesn't it? Whether the Pats are merely being cautious with Samuel's sore shoulder (which Belichick said is not the case) or he did something to land in the doghouse last week, Samuel is the key to how much more exposure Brown will get on defense.