Perry Fewell=Lindy Ruff??

zazie

Remember how the Sabres found Lindy Ruff? He was an assistant promoted as a temporary thing, then was on the bubble and threatened with replacement several times, then became the best coach the sabres have had since Scotty Bowman.

You can never tell, maybe Fewell has the stuff to be good.

Remember how the Sabres found Lindy Ruff? He was an assistant promoted as a temporary thing, then was on the bubble and threatened with replacement several times, then became the best coach the sabres have had since Scotty Bowman.

And they're off....

Sorry, Lindy was never "promoted as a temporary thing." Lindy was an assistant coach with the Panthers, and was hired as head coach after the Sabres fired didn't rehire Ted Nolan.

Sorry, Lindy was never "promoted as a temporary thing." Lindy was an assistant coach with the Panthers, and was hired as head coach after the Sabres fired didn't rehire Ted Nolan.

He was definately hired as an interim coach and was close to being replaced several times during the first few months of his tenure, to the point where he said "make me permanent or I am leaving".

I remember it well.

He was definately hired as an interim coach and was close to being replaced several times during the first few months of his tenure, to the point where he said "make me permanent or I am leaving".

I remember it well.

Let me ask you this: Do you remember if the Sabres won the 1999 Stanley Cup in whatever alternate universe you lived in?

As the previous poster stated, Lindy Ruff was never an interim coach, at least in this universe.

Ted Nolan wanted a longer -- more "permanent" deal -- and the Sabres never offered it to him. They gave Ruff the job and he had a rough first month but eventually rebounded very well.

I remember it well.

i dont remember it being that way. i dont believe ruff was hired as a temp replacement.

nor can i find any references to lindy's hiring being "interm" or temporary for that matter.

what i do remember is thinking wtf are the sabres doing not resigning a proven good coach and going with an unproven guy.

turns out they made the right decision......

Let me ask you this: Do you remember if the Sabres won the 1999 Stanley Cup in whatever alternate universe you lived in?

As the previous poster stated, Lindy Ruff was never an interim coach, at least in this universe.

Ted Nolan wanted a longer -- more "permanent" deal -- and the Sabres never offered it to him. They gave Ruff the job and he had a rough first month but eventually rebounded very well.

:lol::lol:

ruff was 4-7-2 in his first month. thats not all that bad for a first time head coach looking back on it now. especially with the problems in the lockerroom he had to deal with- (hasek the headcase, ect)

I remember his quote anyway where he told them to make him permanent or he was leaving.

I remember his quote anyway where he told them to make him permanent or he was leaving.

i think you may be mis-remembering(is that a word?)

anyways, if i recall, when ruff's first deal was up he may have said if my EXTENSION is not completed by such and such a date, i'm done

That is crap. He was given a 3 year contract and took the team to the conference finals his first year and to the Cup Finals his second year. He was never a temporary thing.

The only time during his whole tenure in Buffalo where his job was in jeopardy occured when Golisano bought the team out of bankruptcy. Even then, it took them a month or two to decide to keep Ruff and Reiger.

i think you may be mis-remembering(is that a word?)

anyways, if i recall, when ruff's first deal was up he may have said if my EXTENSION is not completed by such and such a date, i'm done

OK maybe I smoked too much KB and do "mis remember" seeing as everyone seems to have a different impression than me.

Still I find the situations similar and I hope Fewell can be another Ruff for Buffalo.

:lol:

I was talking about comparing Ruff to an NFL coach with my roommate over the past few days. The conclusion I came to is that Lindy Ruff is the Jeff Fisher of the NHL. He's had good seasons and bad. Successful in the playoffs, but never won the big game. If either were let go fromt heir current jobs, they would be hired in a second. Not tomention they've both been in their jobs forever.