Trestman/Gilbride/Haslett

Why do you say Trestman is bad? He took his team to the Grey Cup in his first year, that is alot better than our Bills at 3-6 this year.record

Not saying he is necessarily bad (though he looks suspiciously like Dick Jauron) but it may be useful for folks to know that he is 100% responsible for his team losing the Canadian championship last year. He has an old (veteran) QB -Anthony Calvillo. He had the bright idea of sitting Calvillo from practices for some weeks before the championship game, presumably to rest him. Many talking heads (former players) criticized the decision saying it would be much better for him to stay sharp. Sure enough his timing and general execution on gameday was way, way,way off -in effect causing the Montreal team to lose the game.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I think Holmgrem is even more of a long shot then anyone else on the list, so I didnt even bother. Some strange part of me thinks Cowher would come (maybe its more hope then anything) if given the right circumstances. I just don't envision Holmgrem coming at all. And I would absolutely take Schotenheimer over Shanny. Haslett and Fassel I just think would come to Buffalo fairly easy. To be honest I am surprised Shanny has shown even the slightest interest in Buffalo. Essentially the list I formulated is a mix of coaches I think would actually come and coaches who I would prefer. If that makes any sense.

Realistic:

1.) Schottenheimer

2.) Shanny

3.) Haslett

4.) Fassel

5.) Cowher

6.) Gruden

7.) Billick

8.) Dungy

My Wish List:

1.) Cowher

2.) Dungy

3.) Gruden

4.) Homgrem

5.) Schottenheimer

6.) Haslett

7.) Billick

8.) Shanny

9.) Fassel

Sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense. Outside of the fact that there is zero justification to list Shanahan under Billick, Haslett, Marty, Gruden, and even Holmgren and Cowher for that matter. Shanahan could be argued to be better than anyone on that "Wish List". Billick, Haslett, and Marty couldn't. But yet, you wouldn't take Shanny over those three?

Then, you state that "To be honest I am surprised Shanny has shown even the slightest interest in Buffalo." But yet, you rank him as your #2 most realistic candidate to be the next Bills coach? Does that even make sense?

So, what's the reason you would take Billick, Marty or Haslett over Shanahan? I'd like to hear that one.

Not saying he is necessarily bad (though he looks suspiciously like Dick Jauron) but it may be useful for folks to know that he is 100% responsible for his team losing the Canadian championship last year. He has an old (veteran) QB -Anthony Calvillo. He had the bright idea of sitting Calvillo from practices for some weeks before the championship game, presumably to rest him. Many talking heads (former players) criticized the decision saying it would be much better for him to stay sharp. Sure enough his timing and general execution on gameday was way, way,way off -in effect causing the Montreal team to lose the game.

By the way, does that remind you of anyone?

Besides Shanahan...as mentioned a few moments ago on ESPN NFL Live.

Marc Trestman - succeeded Shanahan in San Francisco, was Assistant Head Coach of Dolphins in 2004.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Trestman

Kevin Gilbride - Ex-Bills OC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Gilbride

Jim Haslett - Ex-Bills player

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Haslett

*Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Shanahan as our GM name his son as Head Coach...then, grab Trestman as an Offensive Coordinator and Haslett as our Defensive Coordinator. Keep Bobby April for ST.

Let Fewell see if he can get a better job elsewhere, which he probably would. But, if he doesn't, keep him on board.

I would also bring in Gill Byrd to work with his son. (not saying he needs help, but Byrd is regarded as a very good asst.)

No No No pls no to those three

I quote the esteemed TBD poster who originally came up with this...

If killdrive is our next HC, I will burn my bills stuff (anything not-SB era related). I have never been more disgusted with an OC than I was with killdrive.

Your crazy, Moulds, Price, Bledsoe and Henry all had good years. Look it up,

No No No pls no to those three

I think the Bills will seriously persue Shanahan. I think the other 3 are just names thrown out, just so it looks like the Bills are doing an extensive search. I can't seriously imagine they would really want the 3 other guys mentioned. Haslett is the same as Jauron, a two-time loser as a head coach. Gilbride was a bad OC for the Bills and would not be a good HC. I don't know about the CFL guy, but none of us want another "hot coordinator" or a guy that has no NFL head coaching experience.

I would be very happy if Shanahan gets the job. He did what Dan Reeves couldn't do, win Superbowls with John Elway in Denver. Under Shanahan, the Broncos had great offensive lines that gave the QB a lot of protection and especially was the main reason the Broncos always had one of the best run games in the league.

Sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense. Outside of the fact that there is zero justification to list Shanahan under Billick, Haslett, Marty, Gruden, and even Holmgren and Cowher for that matter. Shanahan could be argued to be better than anyone on that "Wish List". Billick, Haslett, and Marty couldn't. But yet, you wouldn't take Shanny over those three?

Then, you state that "To be honest I am surprised Shanny has shown even the slightest interest in Buffalo." But yet, you rank him as your #2 most realistic candidate to be the next Bills coach? Does that even make sense?

So, what's the reason you would take Billick, Marty or Haslett over Shanahan? I'd like to hear that one.

i ranked him #2 bc obviously there is interest from both sides. but when i first heard that, i was completely shocked. beforehand i would have never even considered him is all i was saying. i think holmgrem is even more of a longshot but for the sake of the discussion ill list him below in my latest wish list.

now dont get me wrong im not saying that shanny would be a bad pick. i guess i was just in complete shock they even brought his name up. having thought about more and speaking with a good friend of mine who is also a bills fan, i started to break things down more and he moved up my list a bit. my wish list now goes as follows:

Cowher, Schotty, Gruden, Holmgrem, Shanny, Haslett

one thing that does spark my interest about shanny is thinking about what he could do with runningbacks like lynch and freddy. he produced 1500 yard runners like it was an assembly line. imagine what he could do with guys who have actual talent. either way i just want us to hire the right guy and bring in a GM with an actual football background. i, like the rest of you, cant take 5 more years of **** and having to "rebuild" again.

Why do you say Trestman is bad? He took his team to the Grey Cup in his first year, that is alot better than our Bills at 3-6 this year.record

He could make it 2-2 after this weekend. He is viewed as one of the top coaches in the CFL right now, and has a background coaching in the NFL too. He could be a really good pick

hey, way to be a dick...did i see that anywhere? nope.

was this SAME EXACT thing posted in another post? doubt it.

were you the only one who had to be a dick about this post? yup!

thanks for your positive and intelligent input though...really shows your knowledge and football IQ.

thanks again.

lol

Totally, it's only in the first, second or third link: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=101668

And your knowledge and football IQ is wikipedia I guess? Or was it when you took three of our top choices and put them all on one staff? Can't Gilbride be QB coach or something? Fewell as DB coach? Gil Byrd as S Coordinator?

My point was just that there are / were already several posts about the Bills looking at other coaches, we didn't really need another. R.I.F.

And for the record, ask around I'm a total dick, but I *will* offer you several beers at any given game! :lol:

Marc Trestman's coaching stops

1981-82 University of Miami (VC)

1983-84 University of Miami (QC)

1985-86 Minnesota Vikings (RBC)

1987 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (QC)

1988 Cleveland Browns (QB)

1989 Cleveland Browns (OC)

1990-91 Minnesota Vikings (QC)

1995-96 San Francisco 49ers (OC/QC)

1997 Detroit Lions (QC)

1998-00 Arizona Cardinals (OC/QC)

2001 Oakland Raiders (QC)

2002-03 Oakland Raiders (OC)

2004 Miami Dolphins (QC/AHC)

2005-06 North Carolina State (OC/QC)

2008-Present Montreal Alouettes (HC)

That's a lot of coaching stops. Only twice in the same spot for three straight seasons (Arizona and Univ. of Miami) having coached since 1981?!?!?

He was coaching on productive teams with Cleveland, San Francisco and Oakland, but he moves around enough to make Lou Saban's suitcase drool.

1997 Detroit Lions (QC)

That's a lot of coaching stops. Only twice in the same spot for three straight seasons (Arizona and Univ. of Miami) having coached since 1981?!?!?

He was coaching on productive teams with Cleveland, San Francisco and Oakland, but he moves around enough to make Lou Saban's suitcase drool.

That is even an uglier resume than Turk Schonert's.

Maybe the ugliest I have ever seen for a man being considered for a head coaching job in the NFL.

He certainly isn't on the fast track.

I especially love the out of the league stint from 1991-95.

jesus christ, can this team do anything right??

Mike Shanahann?? He isnt even in my top 5. Gilbride??? I would also burn all my non-SB era Bills stuff.

This should be the order of interest from managements perspective, whether they are interested or not, they should at least contact the following:

1.) Bill Cowher- Pipe dream i know, but we can dream cant we?

2.) Marty Schottenheimer- Would be a great pick to get us back to the playoffs in a hurry

3.) Jim Hasslet- Buffalo roots, firery coach and lord knows we need that

4.) Jon Gruden- the polar oppositte of DJ and I am all for that

5.) Jim Fassel- Very good tactical coach, probably would come on the cheap too, Ralph!

6.) Biran Billick- Never gonna happen, but id still take him over Shannahann

Cowher excluded, what a horrible list. Who is 'Biran' Billick, anyway??

1997 Detroit Lions (QC)

This sounds like the worst plan ever (hiring this guy, not your analysis - I'm agreeing with you here). Not only do I want to just say 'no' to a CFL coach, but he did have about a hundred stops along the way. Being an assistant head coach is irrelevant (see: April, Bobby; LeBeau, Richard), as is being a quarterbacks coach (see: Zorn, Jim) and a running backs coach (I can't even think of one). We need a coach with either head coaching experience (NFL head coaching experience) or an up and coming coordinator (offensive or defensive). Nothing less. Pass on college coaches too (a la Craig Erickson, Steve Spurrier, Bobby Petrino (Jimmy Johnson was the exception, not the rule)). And no one over the age of 65 certainly, preferably not older than 60.

Cowher excluded, what a horrible list. Who is 'Biran' Billick, anyway??

This sounds like the worst plan ever (hiring this guy, not your analysis - I'm agreeing with you here). Not only do I want to just say 'no' to a CFL coach, but he did have about a hundred stops along the way. Being an assistant head coach is irrelevant (see: April, Bobby; LeBeau, Richard), as is being a quarterbacks coach (see: Zorn, Jim) and a running backs coach (I can't even think of one). We need a coach with either head coaching experience (NFL head coaching experience) or an up and coming coordinator (offensive or defensive). Nothing less. Pass on college coaches too (a la Craig Erickson, Steve Spurrier, Bobby Petrino (Jimmy Johnson was the exception, not the rule)). And no one over the age of 65 certainly, preferably not older than 60.

agreed, not keen on the CFL, nor college coaches, nor coaches over 65 (head coaches anyway...only one I would consider is LeBeau but he's not going anywhere). Seen enough of the "Nintendo Weeeee shuffleboard gang, let's head to old Country Buffet Senior Discount Tuesday and take our teeth out at 4 p.m." with this team the last few years.